Biting me but not my husband

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I've posted about biting with our 6 month old kitten and we really just thought it was teething but he only bites me, not my husband. Usually he doesn't pierce the skin but the last two days he has pierced the skin 3 times. Its starting to get ridiculous. I can't type without him attacking my arms, I have to keep my arms covered when I am in bed or he bites them.

What do we do? Giving him toys doesn't distract him. Would possibly getting a stuffed animal and spraying it with catnip encourage him to bite that instead of me?

Leslie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a good idea. But being consistent about blowing a short, sharp puff of air in his face, saying "no" and then giving him something appropriate to bite (we always liked the straws, but you can try the toy) is important.

At 6 months, he may still be teething.

But given that he only bites you and not hubby I gotta ask - do you use a moisturizer that hubby doesn't? Or some type of bath thing or after bath thing? Maybe try switching that?

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use no additional products, hubby uses more--I am allergic to most lotions and bubble baths. Its like dove soap only around here.

The short puff of air doesn't faze him, I tried a loud squeal, I tried hissing nothing he latches on and rolls onto his belly.

Leslie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try finding a lotion you're not allergic to that will taste bad?

We just had another instance of a cat biting - but really attacking - their person. Apparently biting back can help - it is apparently what a mom cat would do to stop it. You shouldn't bite hard enough to make kitty cry out - but apparently a good firm bite might do the trick. Someone recommended wrapping your gums around your teeth and giving a good firm bite - the person who solved their problem by biting kitty back did it with their teeth.
I think they did it to the back of the neck.

If you try it, and if it works, please share what you did!

Thanks,

Laurie

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll see what I can do about the lotion. I thought that maybe some vinegar on my arms would keep him away--is it safe to try? I won't smell too hot but my usual fragrance is baby formula (I'm a nanny to infant twins) so the hubby won't care too much.

Biting back huh? Definitely worth a try. My husband says he bites me because I let him. Which I don't I just try not to make a big deal out of (don't want him to think he's lgetting ots of attention for it).

I'll let you know how things go. Thanks

Leslie

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

But given that he only bites you and not hubby I gotta ask - do you use a moisturizer that hubby doesn't? Or some type of bath thing or after bath thing? Maybe try switching that?

Laurie
This is exactly what I was going to say! In fact, it worked for me. Alley was always biting my sister in law but nobody else. I told here exactly the same thing and it worked! Try it, it may just work.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I tried biting back. Two issues I have faced are that a long haired cat leaves hair in ones mouth and that its hard to find skin to bite on a long haired cat.

I started using my lips over my teeth and it seemed ineffective but using my teeth has been working. I hope that with some consistency he will understand the rules and stop biting....we can hope at least.

Leslie