What would you do? Advice needed.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, here's the situation: (I've put some links in to pics of similar cars)
I have a 6 year old Ford Ka.
http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford...ka-gallery.asp
It's starting to get a little tired, but it's still a good little car and will go for a while yet. It won't be worth much to sell, maybe £800?
My husband drive a mercedes c240.
http://images.cars.com/main/DMI/108733/48404.jpg
He has to drive an hour each way to work every day and the car was costing him a lot in petrol. So, he's bought a new car, a mercedes A class diesel,
http://www.adaptedvehicles.co.uk/ima...les/aclass.jpg
to drive to work each day. He didn't tell me he was going to buy the car he just surprised me with it. How is that a good surprise - "ta da - I've bough MYSELF a new car!"
What?
So I asked what's the plan - we now have 3 cars. He said - your Ka is going. So his plan was for me to drive his big old mercedes around, which will cost me more in tax, petrol and insurance, and he will drive the a class.
I'm really sad to sell my car though - I'm really emotionally attached to it.
So, he gets 2 cars that he's chosen and likes and can drive whenever he wants, and I get - to sell my car. I'm not happy. Plus, all his family and our friends, who knew he was buying the car, have been calling me, asking if I like my new car - they thought the a class was for me, and he didn't correct them!
I would be happy driving the a class around, it's small and nice, whereas the other one is too big.
HELP! Am I just being a pain in the ass for nothing?
What do you think?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would sell BOTH old cars and buy you a new one too....It isn't fair that he gets to have a new car and you have to settle for the gas hog

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd sell the two older cars and get yourself a good Toyota - its better for gas mileage and holds value better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I can see his thinking behind it, and why it makes sense to him, but in reality, I'd rather choose a car I like. Plus I don't want him to think it's ok to just go ahead and make major decions like that without talking it through with me first. I tried to explain to him, I can see why you did it, but we are married, we should talk things through first. I didn't know anything about this new car until it was sitting on our driveway!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone who said sell both old cars and buy yourself a new one that you like and want to drive, if you can afford it. I would be extremely mad if my husband made a huge decision / purchase like that without both of us being involved in the decision.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another vote for getting rid of both cars.

Personally I hate big cars...I have a tendency to drive them into things like the curb, signs, mailboxes...

I'm much better in my fuel efficient Honda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.
It's even worse now that I'm back at work, as he text me a picture of the new car to my phone on friday, and everyone thought it was for me, so they are asking what was the new car all about! I'm so cross with him! I tried to explain to him calmly why it's not ok to do that but he doesn't understand!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! DO you leave for work earlier than him? If not, do so one morning and TAKE THOSE KEYS.

Then if he whines or yells, just [calmly] tell him that since he's going around telling everyone that its YOURS and not HIS, then you feel that it should be.
See if he owns up to his lie after that.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since he didn't consult you I would agree with the others and put the two cars for sale and buy what you would like!!

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

OMG! DO you leave for work earlier than him? If not, do so one morning and TAKE THOSE KEYS.

Then if he whines or yells, just [calmly] tell him that since he's going around telling everyone that its YOURS and not HIS, then you feel that it should be.
See if he owns up to his lie after that.
^yeah that :p