Snoozin' on Sunday

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got around to playing with my new camera lens, a Nikon 50mm f1.8. It was recommended by siggav and it's great for indoor portraits! Clear, sharp pics with no flash! I love it!

Toby:

Zara:

Coco:

Jeta:

jersh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lovely kitties you have there.... That is a very great lens, I have it and love it as well...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jersh

Lovely kitties you have there.... That is a very great lens, I have it and love it as well...
I'm absurdly excited about finally being able to get good indoor pics without a flash!

Thanks siggav!!!

jersh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I'm absurdly excited about finally being able to get good indoor pics without a flash!
It is nice to use the 50mm to get photos with no flash, however I find that in order to do so I usually have to use it wide open at f1.8. That's not a problem if you're photographing ONE cat, but when photographing multiple cats the extremely shallow depth of field makes it quite difficult to almost impossible to get both/all cats in focus. If you happen to have a shoe-mount flash like the SB-600 or SB-800 simply point it straight up and bounce the flash off the ceiling. This softens and diffuses the light and will also eliminate red eye and most shadows. (also I apologize if this sounds like I'm lecturing, I'm just trying to give some photo advice, I'm not sure how experienced most of the folks are here when it comes to dSLR photography)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jersh

It is nice to use the 50mm to get photos with no flash, however I find that in order to do so I usually have to use it wide open at f1.8. That's not a problem if you're photographing ONE cat, but when photographing multiple cats the extremely shallow depth of field makes it quite difficult to almost impossible to get both/all cats in focus. If you happen to have a shoe-mount flash like the SB-600 or SB-800 simply point it straight up and bounce the flash off the ceiling. This softens and diffuses the light and will also eliminate red eye and most shadows. (also I apologize if this sounds like I'm lecturing, I'm just trying to give some photo advice, I'm not sure how experienced most of the folks are here when it comes to dSLR photography)
I appreciate the advice! I realized pretty quickly the depth of field isn't great but I don't get good results trying to bounce a flash off the ceiling cuz I have a vaulted ceiling in my living room and that's where I'm trying to take pictures most of the time. I'm happy that I can get good single portraits at least! I'm hoping that I will finally be able to get a good snap of Coco's glitter. Next time I catch her lying in the sun I'll give it a try.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great pictures! I wish I could get a digital slr sooner then later. I'm working on it but have to get my car fixed before I can justify the expense! Bah humbug!