Children of Men

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone else seen this movie? I watched it tonight, mostly cause Clive Owen is a hottie
and I must say that I am seriously disturbed

***SPOILERS***

The premise of the movie is that it is 2027 and the world is basically in a constant state of war. In addition to that, no woman can get pregnant, it had been over 18 years since a baby was born. The UK is the setting and Britain is supposedly the only country not falling apart....but it really is, anyone not a native is being rounded up and deported, resulting in these cities of refugees that are full of violence. Then there is girl who gets pregnant and Clive Owen is trying to get her safely to a group called "The Human Project" and hoo boy do they go thru a lot getting her there.

It was a really good film, but I am just disturbed
Lots and lots of violence

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not new, it was released in 2006
It just might be available! It really was a good movie, just disturbing

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ill have to go looking for it to see if I can find it cause it sounds good to me! Of course gore doesn't bother me, I have my EMT so if it did I would be in trouble!

PS Save the egg! Give it a click!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it wasn't so much the gore, and there was a bit of that
, it was just the violence...think opening scene of Saving Private Ryan violent

I clicked!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clive Owen is gorgeous! But I haven't seen that one. I did get one of his more recent ones, Shoot them up or something like that.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Has anyone else seen this movie? I watched it tonight, mostly cause Clive Owen is a hottie

***SPOILERS***

The premise of the movie is that it is 2027 and the world is basically in a constant state of war. In addition to that, no woman can get pregnant, it had been over 18 years since a baby was born. The UK is the setting and Britain is supposedly the only country not falling apart....but it really is, anyone not a native is being rounded up and deported, resulting in these cities of refugees that are full of violence. Then there is girl who gets pregnant and Clive Owen is trying to get her safely to a group called "The Human Project" and hoo boy do they go thru a lot getting her there.

I loved this film! The cinematography was beautiful, excellent story line and intense yet limited script. Though it is not about England's war against refugees....... Heres a detailed review if one wants to read....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/plotsummary
Basically its a great movie about the sacredness of life.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a wonderful film! I viewed it in a Black Studies class. Fascinating! The instructor pointed out things I wouldn't have noticed on my own

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

This is a wonderful film! I viewed it in a Black Studies class. Fascinating! The instructor pointed out things I wouldn't have noticed on my own
I had to watch it a few times to understand what was going on surrounding the story line, and still hards to catch everything! But thats what makes a great movie, you can watch it again and again still seeing new things each time!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of my favorite books of all time, by P.D. James. I love her mystery novels, and this is different than those, but totally compelling. I've read it a couple of times and it's actually one of the "10 Books I Would Want On A Desert Island".

So, I was a little nervous about the movie before I saw it. You know how, when you really love a book, you see a movie version of it and sometimes it doesn't really hold up to what you had in your imagination?

So I waited and stepped back, and separated the two in my mind and went to see the movie. Loved it. For its own merits. It's not exactly the book, but it's a really good, and very disturbing, film.

In the book, it's the men who can't make the women pregnant. A disease has wiped out a man's ability to make sperm......which I thought was an interesting switch they did for the film.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved this movie more than I loved the book. I do have to say it's really violent, but it all seems to have a purpose and tells the story of how desperate humanity is at that point in time.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

***SPOILERS***

I rented this DVD about a week ago and I did not like it at all. Sorry I wasted my money renting it. I like Clive Owen too but this movie was just really bad IMO.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's why I haven't seen it. I always see strange movies that nobody else ever sees, like yesterday we went and saw "Persepolis" which is a cartoon movie about the Iranian suppression of women. To make it even more strange, the movie is in French.
Since DW was born in Iran and left Iran because of the suppression of women and since she also speaks French, this is the one movie we have been waiting and waiting for to be released. I suppose you could say this was a violent movie, just a different kind of violence. Making a woman wear wear something on her head is violent and that is why DW and her sister got out of there and are all living here.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We really enjoyed the movie. We saw it on the big screen when it came out which probably made it more powerful. Yes it was violent, but it kind of had to be to show how desperate the situation was.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really liked the book but as with most that are made into a movie some ideas get lost.