Why Nutro?

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purely just curious. I have noticed alot of folks on here feeding and reccomending the nutro natural choice and wanted to know everyone's reasons why.
Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good quality , lower $$ than most and for many it works :_

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You both say good quality (not arguing that) I am just curious what good quality means to you. What are you looking at to determine good quality?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No by products... no chemical preservatives... reasonable grain to meat ratio IE no more then 1.5 grains to 1 meat ... 1 meat to 1 grain

IF you really want to know I would suggest DOING a search on site...Via your profile I can imagine what you feed ...this thread gives a real world account

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=foods

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it has better ingredients than the other stuff, it doesn't make my cats sick, its UTI friendly (most kinds) and my kittens and my senior can enjoy one single kind! I dont care about cost. It is the ONLY good food you can get where I live, and they only have a couple kinds! So its the best where Im at!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie

You both say good quality (not arguing that) I am just curious what good quality means to you. What are you looking at to determine good quality?
Well, to me, "good quality" means that it has good ingredients, is fairly priced, & my kitties do well on it. That last part is the kicker. I feed Diamond Naturals Active Cat to a bunch of mine.....and they do well on it. It's cheaper than Nutro....their poops are better, their coats are better, in general they seem to be doing better on it.

fluffstuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My reasoning for feeding Nutro was that this company claims to use only chicken (I feed the chicken one) fit for human consumption.

After many years in Animal Science Departments and Vet Clinic Research Departments, I really don't feel like giving any pet of mine the remains of what you see there... ew.

Anyways, that's my reasoning, they also claim not to do any animal testing outside of food acceptance tests in customers/volunteers homes.

Cheers!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hammy and i spent 2 hour reading labels at petsmart friday nite and based on the ingredients nutro wet and dry are both what we chose. Tho i wasnt concerned about how much any food cost we were just concerned about getting good ingredients and that. Nutro was lower cost than most of the better foods but it seemed to have the best ingredients, and squishy seems to be eating it just fine.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a cat with fatty liver disease and so I'm syringe feeding him. I just bought some of the wet Nutro food today and have been thrilled to find that it's the only store-bought brand I've tried that doesn't have little bone fragments in the chicken flavor! Every other brand, from Fancy Feast to Royal Canin had bone fragments. The only other brand that didn't have this problem was Hill's Prescription Diet.

I was having to strain every serving so that the bone fragments didn't clog up the syringe and that was getting old fast! I think I'm going to stick with this one!!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was highly recommended, it has good ingredients and its affordable. I've never owned a cat, and grew up in a home where our dogs were fed grocery brands--I didnt want that for my cat, I wanted to provide the best I could on my budget, nutro fits into that. Kitty loves it 100 times better than purina one kitten.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie

Thanks for the link Sharky! and the responses from the others. I'll take a peek on that other thread, it hadnt surfaced when i searched "Nutro"
Anyone know if there is a site like this for cats?: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
Sites like that dont get much of my time... I just find them amusing as a food with say five whole grains gets 5 stars for being HOLISTIC or they credit non meat meal s as high amounts of meat..Doing some REAL research is far better..lol.. ASK dot com has some of those star types .. those are just opinion which I weigh a bit better than one persons IDEA of good ...

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my babies California Natural dry because one of them had some stomach issues and CN only has 5 good, healthy ingredients. Also lately, I've noticed their coats are SOO SHINY and SOFT. They didn't used to be like that... when I first got them, Mia's coat in particular was frizzy and kinda coarse. I think they said she had been eating Purina One kitten. For canned, I rotate among Wellness, Natural Balance, and Natural Life (walmart). The first two, W and NB, have excellent ingredients. NL is decent with no byproducts, but I can tell it's not as good quality wise as W and NB. However, at over $1.00 a can, I simply can't afford W and NB everyday. NL is a good lower cost alternative for me and the girls love it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by auchick

I feed my babies California Natural dry because one of them had some stomach issues and CN only has 5 good, healthy ingredients. Also lately, I've noticed their coats are SOO SHINY and SOFT. They didn't used to be like that... when I first got them, Mia's coat in particular was frizzy and kinda coarse. I think they said she had been eating Purina One kitten. For canned, I rotate among Wellness, Natural Balance, and Natural Life (walmart). The first two, W and NB, have excellent ingredients. NL is decent with no byproducts, but I can tell it's not as good quality wise as W and NB. However, at over $1.00 a can, I simply can't afford W and NB everyday. NL is a good lower cost alternative for me and the girls love it.
CN no longer is just five main ingrediants;;;

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

CN no longer is just five main ingrediants;;;
This is a bit confusing. I have been feeding my two a mix of EVO and CN, trying to see where Daphne's allergies lie.

Their website says:

"California Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Cat and Kitten Food is made with only five Pure & Simple ingredients to meet the needs of your special cat. The wholesome, healthful ingredients in California Natural are the key to your cat's good health, good coat, and good digestion.

California Natural Cat and Kitten Food utilizes real chicken meat and chicken meal as its primary components. The whole brown rice in the formula is a high quality source of carbohydrates and natural fiber, while flaxseed and sunflower oil supply Omega 3 and Omega 6 Essential Fatty Acids for healthy skin and silky coat."

They say 5 main ingredients, then have others? I'm confused.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

This is a bit confusing. I have been feeding my two a mix of EVO and CN, trying to see where Daphne's allergies lie.

Their website says:

"California Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Cat and Kitten Food is made with only five Pure & Simple ingredients to meet the needs of your special cat. The wholesome, healthful ingredients in California Natural are the key to your cat's good health, good coat, and good digestion.

California Natural Cat and Kitten Food utilizes real chicken meat and chicken meal as its primary components. The whole brown rice in the formula is a high quality source of carbohydrates and natural fiber, while flaxseed and sunflower oil supply Omega 3 and Omega 6 Essential Fatty Acids for healthy skin and silky coat."

They say 5 main ingredients, then have others? I'm confused.
Technically, they can say '5 main ingredients' and put anything else they'd like in... providing it's not a 'main ingredient.'

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Nutro Max, as I think Natural Choice is still quite expensive.
Right now you can get Nutro Max for $5 for 6lb bag in my nearby store.

I buy it mainly because of the price, that it goes on sale very often. It has high omega 6s for soft fur and good %s for UTI health.

My cats also enjoy the taste, and its available in many pet stores.