Boosting immune system naturally?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another question for a friend.
You know how it is...you become the feline health expert after a while here.

In talking with a shooting friend and his wife, I found out that they have a kitty who has recurring bladder and urinary tract infections because the spot where the umbilical cord attaches never closed up completely. Of course, this leaves an open spot to the urinary tract. They have been to the vet many times, and have gone up to the CSU veterinary program (one of the best in the nation) to see what can be done, and unfortunately she said they can't surgically close her up.
So she's getting bacteria inside her and it's getting infected. They currently have Annabelle on the strongest antibiotic they have available and it's just not knocking out the UTI out.

I suggested adding some natural products to help boost her immune system, such as GSE. Would the L-Lysene and/or Transfer Factor help her as well? Anything else that may help?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to recommend the GSE and Transfer Factor. I hope others have more helpful suggestions!

Poor baby! So strange - I wonder why surgery's not an option? Seems like it would just be a quick couple of stitches!

Laurie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
all of the above... plus maybe some extra globlin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I was going to recommend the GSE and Transfer Factor. I hope others have more helpful suggestions!

Poor baby! So strange - I wonder why surgery's not an option? Seems like it would just be a quick couple of stitches!

Laurie
Thank you Laurie and Jennifer!

Tammie (kitty's Meowmy) said that they can't repair it because there's just nothing there to attach.
I'm not sure, really, but I know the vets at CSU are seriously some of the best in the country. They are who we took Felicia to when she had cancer, and I know they are 100% up to date on the latest and greatest veterinary stuff.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is the hole?? It would have to be pretty large for them not to be able to sew it up!! Maybe if they can get her through this when Spaying time comes there will be some leftover skin after removing some of the bits n pieces!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seeing this thread reminded me of something I wanted to ask about, and maybe I can help your friends in the process.

Has anyone ever used bovine colostrum with their cat? I found this article about it.

I was thinking of trying it on my HL cat who's been on prednisolone.

I've heard that some people take it as a muscle-builder. I'm wondering if it would have the same effect in cats, which my cat could really use since he lost so much muscle when he was sick.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

Seeing this thread reminded me of something I wanted to ask about, and maybe I can help your friends in the process.

Has anyone ever used bovine colostrum with their cat? I found this article about it.

I was thinking of trying it on my HL cat who's been on prednisolone.

I've heard that some people take it as a muscle-builder. I'm wondering if it would have the same effect in cats, which my cat could really use since he lost so much muscle when he was sick.
Colostrum can cause a allergic reaction...

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
True, sharky. After a little more research, I found this site.

This is about kittens, and I believe, colostrum from their mother, so I wasn't sure if the same is true for adult cats and bovine colostrum.

Albus is going to the vet on Thursday, so I'll ask about it then.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

True, sharky. After a little more research, I found this site.

This is about kittens, and I believe, colostrum from their mother, so I wasn't sure if the same is true for adult cats and bovine colostrum.

Albus is going to the vet on Thursday, so I'll ask about it then.
would be curious... i did alot of human research sinc bovine colostrum suppodedly aids the human immune system...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Transfer Factor would help for sure. It is bovine colostrum and other natural ingredients. It is what saved jake's life the first time he got so ill. It helps to balance the immune system and people have had excellent results with it for all kinds of ailments.

Here is a page linked to my website that has information on Transfer Factor. It also has an article toward the bottom that was featured in DVM magazine.

http://Transfer Factor & Bovine ColostrumTransfer Factor & Bovine Colostrum

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Transfer Factor can be great - although allergies to it can develop over time...(especially if your kitty is prone to allergies). for Annabelle kicking her UTI.