TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Smoking laws
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking laws

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Maryland's smoking laws just went into effect yesterday and it bans smoking in any restaruant or bar or any working establishment. Before, if the restaurant had a liquor license they could have a smoking section with separate ventilation (bars, it didn't matter). Now, I'm a smoker, and I do see the point of non-smokers of not being forced to breath cigerette smoke.

However, there is a new Cigar bar opening in town, AFTER this law was passed. THAT is still allowed, but regular bars can't say that they want to be a Cigarette bar. Does that make any sense to anyone? The Cigar bar (from what I understand) will be selling Cigar's, but the patrons are more than welcome to bring in their own. To me, the smoking ban should be accross the board. Why are Cigars better for you than cigaretts? They certain stink more (IMO). I guess because they cost more? :shrug:

Any thoughts?

(Just for the record, I think the smoking bans that are coming out now are rediculous! I can understand not being able to smoke in a hospital, but why can't I smoke outside? According to this new law, if you own a buisness in your home, you can't smoke in your home even if no clients are there. And, I heard in one county, it is illegal to smoke on your own front porch. To me, that is insane. How is cigeratte smoke any more toxic than what we are breathing, drinking, and eating everyday if it is smoked outside?)
post #2 of 28
IMO, tobacco smoke is tobacco smoke, so yeah, the cigars shouldn't be allowed either.
But, as someone who is allegic to cigarette smoke, I can say that I agree with the bans. If someone can pollute my breathing air, can I let my dog go do-do in their yard?? Just trading one pollution for another.
The bans also protect the weaker members of our society, including children and pets who are particularly suseptible to smoke. Sadly, using strong air fresheners and burning incense are just as much of a torment for many children and pets as are cigarettes, but I suppose we have to draw the line at bans somewhere
If I could, I'd pray for a ban on publicly wearing strong doses of perfume!! The other day, a lady client's scent was so strong that our next batch of clients were hacking - not to mention what we were doing in the office - Instant Headache!!! And she has inside dogs - oh, those poor, poor canine noses
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
If I could, I'd pray for a ban on publicly wearing strong doses of perfume!! The other day, a lady client's scent was so strong that our next batch of clients were hacking - not to mention what we were doing in the office - Instant Headache!!! And she has inside dogs - oh, those poor, poor canine noses
Ooo! I'm with you on that!

I think with cigar bars, at least in some states with the smoking bans, you have to apply for a license to open the bar. Otherwise since its main purpose is for smoking cigars...not feeding the general public then that's why its still allowed to open.
post #4 of 28
If the main point of the bar is to be a Cigar bar and not a normal bar that allows smoking, then it is different.

They're trying to pass a law in this state that will make it illegal to smoke in your car if you have a minor with you. Rather sad that there needs to be a law to prevent parents from harming their children with second hand smoke.
If the law passes it will also be illegal to seat minors in smoking sections.
post #5 of 28
I don't fully understand it either, but I know here we have an indoor smoking ban and there is a hookah bar nextdoor that's still open. There was a loophole in Columbus's law that allowed any place with 80% sales on tobacco to allow smoking, but there wasn't one in Ohio's law, so I'm not sure how/why they can do it.
post #6 of 28
Here you can not Smoke in your car if you have a kid in it. Belmont banned Smokeing in Apartments. I am very Allergic to Smoke. I think if someone wants to Smoke in their House it is their choice.
post #7 of 28
I live in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, which imposed strict non-smoking laws last summer. Right now, a number of small one-room bars are appealing to the Constitutional Court (the German equivalent of the U.S. Supreme Court) to review the laws, as they have no way of providing separate smoking and non-smoking rooms, and a state capital law prohibiting outdoor gas/butane heaters prevents them from setting up outdoor areas for smoking clientele. Very many small bars are facing bankruptcy because of the laws, and wish to be able to operate as "smoking bars", and give the clientele the choice whether to give them their patronage.
post #8 of 28
In Lincoln, you can't smoke inside any business building, with the exception being research studies. (I used to work for the local Clinical Research Organization and one of their biggest clients is a big tobacco company.)
The ban in Lincoln started as restaraunts and then bars. I have mixed feelings about the bars. The bars in which I am discussing are adult bars where kids aren't present. A number of people stated that they would go to bars if they were smoke-free, but the reality is alot of bars consistently lost revenue once the ban took effect. I guess I wasn't surprised, as a bar had opened in town prior to the ban which was smoke-free and went out of business.
Now a law is going through to ban people smoking in cars with kids. (That seems reasonable.) The idea of banning smoking on porches is insane. Think of the number of smokers with kids who are saving their lungs by smoking outside. Personally - I see banning smoking at home or on the porch as an invasion of personal liberties but I might note that there has been alot of legislation lately that gives the feeling of "Big Brother is watching you".
post #9 of 28
I agree with smoking bans in restaurants. It should be nation wide. I know the bar owners complain they will lose business but that's just bull. One of the restaurants at home went no smoking a few years ago and they saw a jump in business. If people want to kill themselves with that, that's fine, but do it at home. I don't want to die for someone else's bad habit.
post #10 of 28
I love it - MN finally banned smoking in all restaurants. And the bars in Minneapolis too. The casinos are still allowed for smoking inside (which we don't go to anyway).

But I thought Maryland (since I'm from there) had the smoking ban in restaurants for years???????
post #11 of 28
I agree with pretty much all smoking bans, I'm an occasional smoker.
Bans cars with kids is a good thing, in homes with kids is a good thing.
Shared wall living space bans is also a good thing (condos, apartments, duplexes etc)

Porch bans though?
Ok, I can see this if it is a front porch, but a back porch at a private, single family residence? Stupid IMO.

Cigar bars?

We have a couple of "smoking bars" around here, but no cigar bars.
No alcohol, but a place to go and smoke and shoot pool and throw darts.
You can buy coffee, tea and soft drinks at them, but that's it.
You do have to become a member though (which I believe is where they make their money).
post #12 of 28
My issue isn't specifically with the smoking bans, but it's with Big Brother dipping it's grubby little hands into personal lives. And the minute you give those hands a small bit of lee-way, they'll take more.

Just wait...smoking will not only be banned in your own home and car, but it might just become illegal. Think prohibition.
post #13 of 28
Our Province has been smoke free for several years now! It's great!
post #14 of 28
The funny thing is that NJ doesn't have a law against smoking in restaurants/bars, however the state left it up to the owners discretion.

The Majority of the restaurants in our area are went smoke free...most likely because we get a lot of NY vacationers here and they have their laws against smoking.

However...it's great! Even B, who is a smoker, loves the idea.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
The funny thing is that NJ doesn't have a law against smoking in restaurants/bars, however the state left it up to the owners discretion.

The Majority of the restaurants in our area are went smoke free...most likely because we get a lot of NY vacationers here and they have their laws against smoking.

However...it's great! Even B, who is a smoker, loves the idea.
Ahhh, yes they do, 2006 smoking banned in public areas except game floors in casinos and cigar bar / cigar lounge requirements and license.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Ahhh, yes they do, 2006 smoking banned in public areas except game floors in casinos and cigar bar / cigar lounge requirements and license.
Thanks! We've only been here for 5 months and couldn't find anything via the Internet on that. My information was just based on what the local bar owner told me.
post #17 of 28
Florida has an Indoor Clean Air Act and you're not allowed to smoke inside any places of business which includes restaurants.

I'm a smoker and don't like to eat in a restaurant where people smoke. I smoke outside, away from my kids. I don't like even walking into people's houses who smoke inside
post #18 of 28
I don't know what to tell you about the cigar bar. Maybe because it was already in the plans before the law took affect? But as far as how is cigarette smoke any worse then anything else we breathe outside? I'm an ex-smoker (20 years) who has developed severe asthma the last few years and even outside smoke gives me an asthma attack. At work they have a smoking area outside that is away from the building but I have to walk by it to get in and I have to use a rescue inhaler before I Get out of the car to ward off any breathing problems.

Utah banned smoking in bars and clubs a while back and the clubs were saying it would hurt their business. It didn't.

I agree with the strong perfume thing! I had a coworker in my lab (guy) who used to wear really strong cologne. He continued to wear it even though the employee manual says to avoid wearing strong perfumes and colognes and even though he was told not to by management. And I kept having asthma attacks and severe wheezing and ended up in the hospital.
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I love it - MN finally banned smoking in all restaurants. And the bars in Minneapolis too. The casinos are still allowed for smoking inside (which we don't go to anyway).

But I thought Maryland (since I'm from there) had the smoking ban in restaurants for years???????
I know some counties in Maryland have had the law in place for years (I think it was in Montgomery county where the guy got fined for smoking on the front porch), but it seems to have been up to each individual county how strict it was. Full ban just went into effect in the western counties this month.

Like I said, I personally don't have a problem not smoking in restaurants as we haven't done it in years. I just don't understand why regular bars can't apply for a tobacco license, like they would for a liquer license (and pay a fee yearly) and advertise as a smoking bar. There are only so many liquer licenses available in our county so they can do the same with smoking licenses so not EVERY bar allows it. I'm not talking about restaurants, but actual bars where no one under 21 is allowed so no kids would be affected and the decision to go would be made an adult.

I agree, the Big Brother thing is getting out of hand. I understand most laws are for our own good, but there is a limit on how much control they should have and I think they are definitely reaching that limit.
post #20 of 28
I use to be a smoker, but to be completely honest always found it offensive..........especially second hand smoke, including my own! I hated the smell, the stain, the smoke! I was a smoker more on then off for 15 years, finally smoke free and proud of myself 1 year. I have seen a major difference in my skin, feel physically better, definitely healthier (no coughs, colds, wheezy lungs). The problem I have with smoking is that those who do are very often rude, disrespectful in disposing of butts and where/who they smoke around, and oblivious to or don't give a hoot in the process! An example in the extreme.....My roommate is a "killing himself" smoker! I have 2 sheets and a thick bed spread doubled over hanging down in front of his door to his room. I still smell smoke, sometimes to the point of a headache (chain smoking)! I change the covers on his door every couple months and wipe down his door, the paper towel turns yellow/brown! I don't know how he breathes in there some times! He also has a chronic cough, sometimes to the point of gagging and regularly has some illness, cold, bronchitis...... It's the perfect extreme example of the most disgusting, offensive, repulsive, disrespectful in both 2nd hand smoke (smoke, smell and staining walls) and the constant gagging, coughing, physical side effects............. I simply don't understand where there is any enjoyment of it at that point!
Lets face it people, what is the big deal, what is the benefit of smoking? Name any real benefit, even one! And not " it relaxes me" bull! You want to feel relaxed, take Yoga! It's killing us, not just the smokers, as well as the earth, a sacrificial offering that tobacco companies are reaping the benefits from, a disillusioned need marketed and once sold takes no prisoners to keep that affliction of the addiction!
Would it really be that bad to have a cigarette free world? I can think of a lot of other things that could be worse! Is it that ludicrous to think we may be better off ill-legalizing cigarettes? Would people really be searching out the underground dealers to get their fix if it was illegal? I don't think so!
Cigarette smoking is the single most preventable cause of death In the US!
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
If the main point of the bar is to be a Cigar bar and not a normal bar that allows smoking, then it is different.
Thats what I was thinking. People will in there on purpose because its a cigar bar..so its not like nonsmokers will go in there and complain.
post #22 of 28
I quit smoking (again) a year ago. My husband and all but one of our friends are smokers. Here in Florida it is legal to smoke in "stand alone" bars and private clubs (like the Amer Legion, VFW, etc). I want a non-smoking area again in these places!!! I know it didn't keep smoke away, but it beats the heck out of having it come at me from every direction! There is now MORE smoke than ever in these bars & clubs because it isn't allowed anywhere else.
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
I use to be a smoker, but to be completely honest always found it offensive..........especially second hand smoke, including my own! I hated the smell, the stain, the smoke! I was a smoker more on then off for 15 years, finally smoke free and proud of myself 1 year. I have seen a major difference in my skin, feel physically better, definitely healthier (no coughs, colds, wheezy lungs). The problem I have with smoking is that those who do are very often rude, disrespectful in disposing of butts and where/who they smoke around, and oblivious to or don't give a hoot in the process! An example in the extreme.....My roommate is a "killing himself" smoker! I have 2 sheets and a thick bed spread doubled over hanging down in front of his door to his room. I still smell smoke, sometimes to the point of a headache (chain smoking)! I change the covers on his door every couple months and wipe down his door, the paper towel turns yellow/brown! I don't know how he breathes in there some times! He also has a chronic cough, sometimes to the point of gagging and regularly has some illness, cold, bronchitis...... It's the perfect extreme example of the most disgusting, offensive, repulsive, disrespectful in both 2nd hand smoke (smoke, smell and staining walls) and the constant gagging, coughing, physical side effects............. I simply don't understand where there is any enjoyment of it at that point!
Lets face it people, what is the big deal, what is the benefit of smoking? Name any real benefit, even one! And not " it relaxes me" bull! You want to feel relaxed, take Yoga! It's killing us, not just the smokers, as well as the earth, a sacrificial offering that tobacco companies are reaping the benefits from, a disillusioned need marketed and once sold takes no prisoners to keep that affliction of the addiction!
Would it really be that bad to have a cigarette free world? I can think of a lot of other things that could be worse! Is it that ludicrous to think we may be better off ill-legalizing cigarettes? Would people really be searching out the underground dealers to get their fix if it was illegal? I don't think so!
Cigarette smoking is the single most preventable cause of death In the US!

Ok, I understand your point. But that wasn't my point. I know non-smokers hate being around cigerette smoke, and it is your choice to kick you roommate out or move in with a non-smoker. It is your roommates choice to smoke, and so far, that is still legal. If you don't like it, get out.

What I was trying to say is why is there a difference between cigar bars, and opening a bar that was a smoking bar. Nobody that is a non-smoker has to go to it. If they do, they would be forwarded before they walked in the door.

I agree, people are killing themselves everyday with tobacco, alcohol, prescription drugs, breathing the air or drinking the water. Everything in the world is going to kill us. We are mortal...we will die. Whatever the cause, it will happen. But why regulate one thing and not another?
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
If I could, I'd pray for a ban on publicly wearing strong doses of perfume!!
i'd vote for that one!

i agree, tho, that the cigar bar thing just sounds dopey. seems like smoking is smoking...
post #25 of 28
As a smoker I'm all for bans that make it more difficult for me to smoke. Try standing outside in the middle of sub zero weather puffing away. It makes me rethink my horrible habit.

However, I would like to be able to smoke outside. A nonsmoker can spot me a mile away and can avoid me, so it makes me rather upset when I hear them complain about it.

I also love the fact that people can no longer smoke in bars. One of my best friends has horrible asthma, and she can finally go out and have a drink with us.

As a small side note in Cleveland a recent underground "club" movement was discovered. In these clubs people are allowed to smoke and watch women disrobe to music. Guess what? There's no alcohol. These modern day speakeasies are a reaction to new anti-smoking laws. Watch for them to pop up in your town.
post #26 of 28
It's a proven fact that smoking is bad for your health and helath insurance has to pay for people committing "slow suicide".

I agree whole heartedly with any nonsmoking law that comes out. I do agree with you that the "cigar bar" is a bit ridiculous.
post #27 of 28
We've had smoking bans here for awhile now through the whole province. There have been a couple of court cases started by some business owners outside of the city who say they lost a lot of business when the law was passed and yes some fines were handed out because not everyone complied when it first came into effect. I know they were even looking at banning smoking in your car here..but I don't think that went very far as of yet. That I think is a little too far. There are apartments here and even some houses for rent that have in the lease..no smoking. I am a non smoker..but my boyfriend Jim is a smoker..he smokes in the basement or outdoors. I personally am glad they banned smoking at the workplace. There was one place I worked at for awhile I had to quit because you literally couldn't see 3 feet in front of you because of the smoke.
It was like a constant haze. Even though we also have a ban on perfumes at my work..there are some people that still show up smelling like they showered in it..geez..
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess View Post
I agree with smoking bans in restaurants. It should be nation wide. I know the bar owners complain they will lose business but that's just bull.
Nope. It's not just bull. I'm in favor of the smoking laws for the most part, but to say that bars won't lose business is just not true. Some bars do just fine, but many do lose business. Here in Florida many owners of non-smoking bars have built an outside "tiki" bar to try and keep their smoking customers. Even with these additions, I have personally seen the drop in business in many of these establishments.

On the other hand, the few smoking bars that remain (because they are "stand alone" bars that sell little to no food) have increased business.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Smoking laws