I have a question about breeding pure bred dogs

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's cousin has a registered Rottie female. There were planning on breeding her to a registered male. She got away from them one day and mated with a Shepard mix. So obviously, her first litter was mixed breed. Now, I can understand that would lower her breeding value because she is now considered "unpure". But the way it was explained to his wife was that even if she mated with a registered Rottie in the future, the puppies couldn't be registered because they couldn't be positive that there wasn't in Shepard in them.

Now, biologically, that make no sense to me. I know kittens of the same litter can have different fathers, and maybe it is the same with dogs, I don't know. But as long as she doesn't get away and only mates with the registered male, that would mean all the pups would be pure bred, right? I mean, mating with the first dog didn't affect her DNA or anything. Is that really the way breeders look at it?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually heard this one before from several different breeders that if a purebred dog mates with another breed that all of the puppies will be "tainted" with the other blood for as long as she lives. It is absolutely ridiculous to think that.

My German Shepherd, Thunder, is a purebred but had mixed breed brothers and sisters. What happened was that the people bred their two German Shepherds but then the neighbors Rottie got to the female while she was still in heat. Half of the litter was purebred and half were mixed breeds. The "breeders" then decided to dump all of the puppies in a dumpster because they couldn't tell which were mixed breeds when they were born. So it is possible with dogs, same as with cats, to have two or more different fathers in the litter.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think mammals are biologically able to store sperm. So no, any puppies from two pure breeds later on will only be from those two parents.

Other animals, such as reptiles, are actually capable of storing it - sometimes for years.

Sounds like some people need some basic biology lessons.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol...I can't help but think...I'm an asian female. My boyfriend is native american. I'll end up having a mexican baby because I once dated a mexican. How the heck do I explain that one?? :p

"Honey I didn't cheat on you, this is from my ex 5 years ago
"

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that nonsense too. As long as the dog did NOT mate with more then one male in that heat cycle, then the puppies would be whatever the 2 parents were - if it was a non-Rottie, they would be mix. If another Rottie, then ALL the pups would be Rotties!

Where some people get these ideas is beyond me. If they are both the same breed, the puppies would be the same breed and could be registered if parents were registered.

But IMO unless both dogs are shown and "worthy" of continuing the lines, they should be neutered and spayed. Just cause they are "purebred with papers" doesn't mean they should or need to be bred. You only want the best bred - not just because they are purebred dogs.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha. ummm... don't these people know basic biology? That simply can not happen. If she mates with a rottie, the puppies will be rotties, regardless what breed she mated with first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just wanted to make sure she didn't misunderstand, but if other people have heard that from breeder then I guess that is a common misconception. I really think these people have to go back to high school and take biology again.

Although, I didn't know that reptiles did that.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

haha. ummm... don't these people know basic biology? That simply can not happen. If she mates with a rottie, the puppies will be rotties, regardless what breed she mated with first.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

I just can't believe anyone would think the puppies were tainted!!! It's all belief/religious crap. In arabian countries (100 years + ago) it's true that their purebred horses were highly prized and if bred with something that was not up to the purebred standard they kill the baby before it hits the ground and the mother is disgarded.

It's just plain silly to believe anything like that when there is scientific proof and knowledge against those beliefs.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard that "myth" too.. It doesn't make sense at all to me either.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really hope if they attempt to breed her again, they do it not only responsibley, but have her elbows and hips checked so that she doesn't pass on crappy hips and elbows to her puppies. Also know that it will cost money for them to have their tails docked and dewclaws removed.