Punxsutawney Phil, Groundhog Day

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but MN can't go by Phil's prediction as we will still have snow on the ground in April (more then 6 weeks)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This tradition has never made sense to me. If its sunny out why wouldn't that predict more sunny days in the near future, rather than winter days.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh trust me, our Groundhog would be frozen if he was outside.
There's a "Groundhog Zoo" in the libary climate controlled no less...but the Groundhog they use for Groundhog day doesn't live there...there are two or three who do live in there, but Phil lives with his handler in the handlers home...he's a pet.

He only spends about 20 minutes in the stump on Gobblers Knob...it also has a heat source in it.
They take better care of Phil than some people take care of their kids!

Of course if you look at any of the Groundhog sites, or sites for Punxsutawney the info about where he really lives and the fact that none of the Groundhogs in the zoo are him won't be there.

Us poor souls that live here no all the secerets

When I was in high school I worked part time in a department store.
We got a new Manager that was from West Virginia.
We told him that if you killed a Groundhog anywhere within the County that you could be thrown in jail.
He said "Even if it runs out in front of me while I'm driving and I hit it by accident?"
We told him that if he didn't call a member of the "Inner Circle" within 24 hours of killing the Groundhog that yes, even if it was an accident and anyone found out he was the killer that he could be thrown in jail...he believed us

We did eventualy tell him the truth...after he'd lived here for about 6 months.
We're not really that crazy about Groundhogs

But to be very honest, if someone would ever hurt Phil in any way I'd hate to be in their shoes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

When I was in high school I worked part time in a department store.
We got a new Manager that was from West Virginia.
We told him that if you killed a Groundhog anywhere within the County that you could be thrown in jail.
He said "Even if it runs out in front of me while I'm driving and I hit it by accident?"
We told him that if he didn't call a member of the "Inner Circle" within 24 hours of killing the Groundhog that yes, even if it was an accident and anyone found out he was the killer that he could be thrown in jail...he believed us
That is so funny...

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a silly and fun tradition.....to read about. You'll never see me awake and outside at the crack of dawn in February!

Six more weeks it is!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think about it, there are exactly six weeks between February 2nd and March 20th (the first day of spring.) So, regardless if Phil sees his shadow or not, there's six more weeks of winter before spring begins, lol! I'm with you...no way am I going outside at the butt crack of dawn, in ice cold February, to look at a groundhog...shadow or no shadow!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

This tradition has never made sense to me. If its sunny out why wouldn't that predict more sunny days in the near future, rather than winter days.
Exactly!! I don't get it either. This morning when Rob said it was Groundhogs Day, I told him that if its sunny and Phil sees his shadow, wouldnt that mean its good weather???

It's in the upper 60s / low 70s right now here ... hopin' to keep it that way until the wedding day!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok, being a Pennsylvania native...never mind. I just want to know how the heck they know if a groundhog sees his shadow or not? Hello, people--he's a groundhog!

Maybe I'll let Phil pick my lottery numbers, too.

Or...Punxy Phil, the Prognosticating Gypsy Fortune-teller Groundhog! Dress him up, you know, big hoop earrings, spotted kerchief, give him a crystal ball...make the little $$%^& earn his keep!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Ok, being a Pennsylvania native...never mind. I just want to know how the heck they know if a groundhog sees his shadow or not? Hello, people--he's a groundhog!

Maybe I'll let Phil pick my lottery numbers, too.

Or...Punxy Phil, the Prognosticating Gypsy Fortune-teller Groundhog! Dress him up, you know, big hoop earrings, spotted kerchief, give him a crystal ball...make the little $$%^& earn his keep!
Well as a Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania native I'll fill you in.
The legend goes that he "Talks" to his handler in Groundhogese.
They have two scrolls prepared and from what Phil "Tells" them they know which scroll to pick.

It might be silly and living here all of my life I'll be the first to admit that...but it's also a pain in the bum for those of us who live here.
Before the movie "Groundhog Day" came out, they got a crowd at Gobblers Knob of maybe 1,000 on a good day.
Since that movie the crowds have been upwards of 30,000 some years....and never under 10,000.
The year the movie came out, Bill Murray came here for Groundhog Day and I had the pleasure of meeting him...a really nice, down to earth guy...but the crowd that year was something over 50,000.
That's a lot of extra people for a town of only 6,000 residents!

TV and radio stations from all over the world come here to cover it.
We were watching some of the coverage last night on TV and they talked to a Man from Germany and couple from Australia and a girl from Iceland.
I wouldn't go to Iceland to see a Groundhog, I can't imagine why she came here

Anyway, no matter how much of a pain it is for all of us who live here at least it puts us on the map for one day...and no matter where I go when people ask me where I'm from I say Western PA the first thing out of their mouths is "The Steelers, do you live near Pittsburgh?"
I always say that I live in a small town about 80 miles from there and the name of the town is Punxsutawney...then they say "Oh, the Groundhog"

Then they ask about a million questions

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Well as a Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania native I'll fill you in.
The legend goes that he "Talks" to his handler in Groundhogese.
They have two scrolls prepared and from what Phil "Tells" them they know which scroll to pick.

It might be silly and living here all of my life I'll be the first to admit that...but it's also a pain in the bum for those of us who live here.
Before the movie "Groundhog Day" came out, they got a crowd at Gobblers Knob of maybe 1,000 on a good day.
Since that movie the crowds have been upwards of 30,000 some years....and never under 10,000.
The year the movie came out, Bill Murray came here for Groundhog Day and I had the pleasure of meeting him...a really nice, down to earth guy...but the crowd that year was something over 50,000.
That's a lot of extra people for a town of only 6,000 residents!

TV and radio stations from all over the world come here to cover it.
We were watching some of the coverage last night on TV and they talked to a Man from Germany and couple from Australia and a girl from Iceland.
I wouldn't go to Iceland to see a Groundhog, I can't imagine why she came here

Anyway, no matter how much of a pain it is for all of us who live here at least it puts us on the map for one day...and no matter where I go when people ask me where I'm from I say Western PA the first thing out of their mouths is "The Steelers, do you live near Pittsburgh?"
I always say that I live in a small town about 80 miles from there and the name of the town is Punxsutawney...then they say "Oh, the Groundhog"

Then they ask about a million questions
Can I buy Groundhogese tapes on Amazon? I'm good with languages.

Actually, I think Phil's a cute little fellow. Hey, if an animal can live his lifestyle (heated hutch, etc.), good for him!

"I wouldn't go to Iceland to see a groundhog."--I LOVE that quote!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Can I buy Groundhogese tapes on Amazon? I'm good with languages.
No, I don't think they do.
Only Phil and the Inner Circle members can speak or understand it.
Come to think of it I know one of the Inner Circle guys...maybe I can get him to teach me