Domains

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Would securing a domain for my business be something I need to do? Should I also have a site for it (not just redirectional)?

Where's the safest place to register a domain that could possibly host stuff.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is only a little bit of a shameless plug but you migh try contacting the guys at watchtowerhosting.com. It's my hubby's business and they do all that sort of stuff. They can even set you up with their Blocs system which makes updating your site super easy for you to do.

I'm not sure how big your business is but if it's a major source of income for you I'd definatly recomend having your own site and domain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a major source of income but in my dreams it could be. I'l look into it - but if it costs more than I make with Endless Whimsy in a year I can't do it

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say yes that you should. At least for the domain registration, I'd recommend GoDaddy.com. Not sure re having them host as well.

I can tell you that a neat shopping cart to use is Mals. http://www.mals-e.com/ It's not what I use, but many folks on a small business list I am on, do.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
really - I do actually know somethin about web coding for sites and stuff but never attempted to do an actual site they could purchase something.........what do you use?
GoDaddy...

I used to use Register for Less.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like that commerce site - does it charge a fee?

I know how to use Register4Less so I may go with them but does the commerce site have coding that is flashy or fancy - I'm wondering if that wouldn't work in dreamweaver.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

really - I do actually know somethin about web coding for sites and stuff but never attempted to do an actual site they could purchase something.........what do you use?
GoDaddy...

I used to use Register for Less.
I chose Hostway.com because it came with Miva Merchant included and I had read good reviews about Miva's store software/shopping cart. But Hostway is more expensive than some other good hosts. I do have a hobby site as well and for that use Hosting Ct. - http://hostingct.com/ they belong to a business list I've been on for years and are really, really good folks.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I really like that commerce site - does it charge a fee?

I know how to use Register4Less so I may go with them but does the commerce site have coding that is flashy or fancy - I'm wondering if that wouldn't work in dreamweaver.
There is both the free version which some folks on this list I belong to use, and a (I think) $5 a month professional. From what I understand the owner is very responsive and there is an excellent support group to answer coding questions etc. Re the dreamweaver, I'd see if there is an FAQ on the site or write to the owner.