Ok, I get the point... You're done......

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sitting here "furminating" Tonka and he was soaking it in like he usually does.
He decided to jump from my lap into the chair next to me and take a bath.
After a few mins I reached over and was giving him scritches and WHAM!
He bit my hand

He wrapped his big bear paws around my wrist and clamped down!

He didn't break skin but he darn sure let me know he was done being touched for the night

He's front declawed (not by me) but if he wasn't I'm sure he would have got me good considering his paws are HUGE!!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

He's front declawed (not by me) but if he wasn't I'm sure he would have got me good considering his paws are HUGE!!
Not necessarily. If it was a warning more than an attack, clawed cats will often bat at you with their claws retracted or maybe just ever so slightly extended. Nikita will do that if she's had enough (although it rarely comes to that). She'll push my hand away or put her paw on it with the claws just barely out so they'll touch my skin but not break it. It's a very clear sign. She's never bit me.

Anyway fun story
and it's great when cats can communicate with us like that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Not necessarily. If it was a warning more than an attack, clawed cats will often bat at you with their claws retracted or maybe just ever so slightly extended. Nikita will do that if she's had enough (although it rarely comes to that). She'll push my hand away or put her paw on it with the claws just barely out so they'll touch my skin but not break it. It's a very clear sign. She's never bit me.

Anyway fun story
and it's great when cats can communicate with us like that
I know he wasn't doing to hurt me. It was more of a "Hey, I'm over stimulated and want you to stop"

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I was sitting here "furminating" Tonka and he was soaking it in like he usually does.
He decided to jump from my lap into the chair next to me and take a bath.
After a few mins I reached over and was giving him scritches and WHAM!
He bit my hand

He wrapped his big bear paws around my wrist and clamped down!

He didn't break skin but he darn sure let me know he was done being touched for the night

I admit I am very rough when I comb Persi. I comb him every single day but he still once in a while gets a mat and I make sure I get it out and he makes sure I know that he doesn't like it by gently biting me. And I do mean gentle. That is just his way of communicating.