Pet insurance for Senior cats?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call it Meow-my intuition or pessimism, however I started looking into insurance for Beauty today. She is 14 years old.

I tried a couple of pet insurance sites for quotes, however once Beauty's age was "found out" a page came up that said that they don't accept pets over 10 years onto their policy.

Is there a senior pets insurance out there?

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
aspca has some .. but to me $$ for $$ it aint worth it

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havn't found one yet, but Ill keep looking! I kind of want my cats to have insurance too... Just so's if Im ever broke, they still have that if something goes wrong! *knocking on fake wood*

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never even knew that you could insure your pet. I might insure my 11mo old maine coon. He was expensive and I anticipate him living a long time, might be a good deal. It basically pays for vet visits, right?

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have pet health insurance for my cat...because I am anal and also because I have been burned with large, unexpected vet bills before...I pay $21 a month and that includes $250 of routine care, $5000 a year for accident/illness, with a $50 copay for the accident/illness, and 10% copay on routine visits...for my kitty's check up 2 weeks ago it was $10. I just looked over my info and it didn't say anything about the seniority of the applicant...that probably comes up in the application process..I am sorry I don't have any ideas..good luck!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to get insurance, do it while they are young. Very few insurance companies are going to offer insurance on a cat that is heading towards the time of its life where it's likely to need more vet care, they're going to lose money, it doesn't make good business sense!

I am very much in favour of pet insurance (I live in the UK where pet insurance is quite good and regulated), but you have to have paid premiums on a young, healthy animal that doesn't need much vet treatment to get the benefit of cover for the normal common health problems that advancing age brings. It's no good waiting until that high cost ongoing vet treatment becomes more of a likelihood.

floydthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Premier Pet Insurance.

Toll free number in the USA.
1-877-774-4671

I called them and they insure cats up to 13 years of age.
It cost about 26 dollars a month.
Call them and get a quote.
Good Luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I wish I could go back in time and get her health insurance 4 years ago, however I can't
I'll wait another year or two to get Luna and whitey (both under 10) pet insurance.

I'll try that premier pets though...hopefully a year won't make a difference

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK, there are about 4 or 5 companies that will insure cats of any age (although one I wouldn't recommend, they aren't good at paying out). My cats have all been insured with Sainsbury's (there are companies that pay out more per condition than them though), and they will insure my 17yo foster if I keep her. I pay about £11 a month for my 14yo.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, read the fine print. Most pet insurance won't cover things like renal failure in cats or hepatic lipidosis....mostly because they are fairly common cat ailments, and expensive things to treat. Consider my story...two cats with renal failure, both under 10 years of age. Cleo diagnosed at 6 months old, and Maggie, diagnosed at 5 1/2 years old. Pet insurance wouldn't have done me any good at all....except perhaps with Lola's UTI. (Okay...being a little snarky here...I wonder if that would have been covered?)

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet insurance must be different in the US then, it wouldnt not cover kidney or liver issues in the UK as long as they weren't a pre-exisiting condition (defo covers hyperthyroidism). I can't see why UTIs wouldnt be covered, as long as it was higher than the excess - my policy even covers for prescription food and behavourists.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They wouldnt Cover Stripe when she had Crf. I tried to get it then. They also turned Coco down when she was 9 because she had Fia and Meeko was turned down for Severe Anemia at 3 Months. I never tried to get insurance again after that. Coco is now almost 16 and Meeko is 7.5 Years. Should I try to get it for my Younger Cats. One is 5 Months and the other is 1.5 years. Coco has has 2 Bladder Infections and 3 Colds since Dec 2005. She has a Cold now. She also has bad Asthma and has for years.

floydthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked with Premier Insurance.I got a bad feeling about pet insurances.This is what I think pet insurance companies do when you 're cat is sick.First and foremost they would like to get people to pay for insurance on young pets.Most pets stay pretty healthy within the 1st 7 years of life.So that gives them very little in pay out cost for Vet bills.Once they get older and have and Illness,I think these insurance companies drop you ,and pick up new clients with young pets.
Insurance companies do the same thing with humans.
It is all about money for insurance companies.
Good Day,
John

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FloydTheCat

I talked with Premier Insurance.I got a bad feeling about pet insurances.This is what I think pet insurance companies do when you 're cat is sick.First and foremost they would like to get people to pay for insurance on young pets.Most pets stay pretty healthy within the 1st 7 years of life.So that gives them very little in pay out cost for Vet bills.Once they get older and have and Illness,I think these insurance companies drop you ,and pick up new clients with young pets.
Insurance companies do the same thing with humans.
It is all about money for insurance companies.
Good Day,
John
Well of course it is, if you expected otherwise, you are confusing them with charity
You have described exactly how insurance companies work, which is exactly how they are supposed to work. I don't see anything much wrong with that - I pay them money for my pets now when they are young and healthy and then IF they have an accident, IF they get sick, or IF they develop an age related condition when they get old, then I will more than get my money back. Insurance companies are kept running because not everyone does run up vet bills more than the cost of the insurance premiums they paid in over the years - did you expect there to be someone sitting in an office with a bag full of money just waiting to be doled out, just out of the kindness of their heart, without them making anything back?

You wouldn't expect a car insurance company to insure a car that's about to fall apart and then pay for it to be put back together when they've barely had any money off you yet, and you wouldn't expect an insurance company to offer flood insurance for homes that are 90% certain to flood every year, that would be completely ridiculous - why do people expect pet insurance to be any different?

If you expect pet insurance to be a way to get something for nothing, then you are going to end up disappointed!

floydthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Well of course it is, if you expected otherwise, you are confusing them with charity
You have described exactly how insurance companies work, which is exactly how they are supposed to work. I don't see anything much wrong with that - I pay them money for my pets now when they are young and healthy and then IF they have an accident, IF they get sick, or IF they develop an age related condition when they get old, then I will more than get my money back.

You wouldn't expect a car insurance company to insure a car that's about to fall apart and then pay for it to be put back together when they've barely had any money off you yet, and you wouldn't expect an insurance company to offer flood insurance for homes that are 90% certain to flood every year, that would be completely ridiculous - why do people expect pet insurance to be any different?
I guess it is a choice each one of us make for the pets in our life.
Good Day,
John

Pros and Cons Good and Bad all that stuff.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FloydTheCat

...Once they get older and have and Illness,I think these insurance companies drop you ,and pick up new clients with young pets....
That simply is not true. Nuff said...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insurance companies certainly dont drop you when your cats hit a certain age in the UK. So far, Sainsbury's have insured 4 of my cats, aged between 10 and 14, and quoted me for a 17yo. For the 10 and 13yo, they paid out waay more than I paid them, the 14yo was insured for 4 months before he sadly passed away, so he didn't have a claim, and my 15yo has been insured for over a year now and hasn't had a claim. But, I know if she does, it will be covered.