Jobs/need advice/vibes/2interviews

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an interview with Wal-Mart on Monday at 10am
I also had an interview with a local gas station here She is considering me but The job requires that I be 21 to sell alchol unless in the presence of someone 21 or older. Because I will be 21 in 2 months she is thinking about hiring me now and working me 3rd shift(cant sell alchol from 12-6am here) until my birthday.

Heres where the conflict starts though...This morning I got the call from Wal-Mart I was way too tired to have answered the phone that early when walmart asked me to come in on 2/4 at 10 am for the interview I was thinking that it was the week after next(I know Im behind on the dates and it was early) so I said deffinately...I went back to sleep and told DH about it when I woke up he said I thought you had to be at the gas station at 10 am on monday I said I do but thats not until the week after he said no 2/4 is this monday and now you have to be in two places at once...So I need your advice. I know for sure I will get the job at Wal-Mart as Ive worked there before and I know the pay would be better...I also know how Wal-Mart does their hiring they do not call without the intention to hire unless you are a total idiot at the interview. I do not know for sure about the gas station its a 50/50 type thing. The gas station will only be 2 or 3 days a week with 8 hour shifts but is very close to home. Wal-Mart will be 5 days a week with varying shifts but is about 30 miles from the huose but it has better pay and more hours...My car is excellent on gas I get about 38miles per gallon with interstate driving(I have to drive on the interstate to get to Wal-Mart) Wal-Mart also offers me a 10% discount with a 20% off gift card at Christmas...Wal-Mart has better benefits. I do want to go to both interviews but Im not sure how to do this without sounding irresponsible. I need some advice...What do you guys think?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

I have an interview with Wal-Mart on Monday at 10am
I also had an interview with a local gas station here She is considering me but The job requires that I be 21 to sell alchol unless in the presence of someone 21 or older. Because I will be 21 in 2 months she is thinking about hiring me now and working me 3rd shift(cant sell alchol from 12-6am here) until my birthday.

Heres where the conflict starts though...This morning I got the call from Wal-Mart I was way too tired to have answered the phone that early when walmart asked me to come in on 2/4 at 10 am for the interview I was thinking that it was the week after next(I know Im behind on the dates and it was early) so I said deffinately...I went back to sleep and told DH about it when I woke up he said I thought you had to be at the gas station at 10 am on monday I said I do but thats not until the week after he said no 2/4 is this monday and now you have to be in two places at once...So I need your advice. I know for sure I will get the job at Wal-Mart as Ive worked there before and I know the pay would be better...I also know how Wal-Mart does their hiring they do not call without the intention to hire unless you are a total idiot at the interview. I do not know for sure about the gas station its a 50/50 type thing. The gas station will only be 2 or 3 days a week with 8 hour shifts but is very close to home. Wal-Mart will be 5 days a week with varying shifts but is about 30 miles from the huose but it has better pay and more hours...My car is excellent on gas I get about 38miles per gallon with interstate driving(I have to drive on the interstate to get to Wal-Mart) Wal-Mart also offers me a 10% discount with a 20% off gift card at Christmas...Wal-Mart has better benefits. I do want to go to both interviews but Im not sure how to do this without sounding irresponsible. I need some advice...What do you guys think?
I think that if you can delay the interview until Friday it has been shown that you have a better chance to get the job. People are in a much better mood on Fridays...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better pay with more hours and benefits with a guaranty to get the job? Wal-Mart it is!

Don't blow off an interview that you know you stand a good chance of getting a job for one that is less hours, less pay and only a coin toss chance of getting, even if one place is closer than the other.

When I stopped into this thread I was hoping to see that you had gotten an interview at a nursing home. Have you been dropping off resumes for nursing home type jobs that you were hoping to get?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have dropped them off...and I have gotten quite a few comments such as "Awesume Resume" the reason they wont hire me is because Im not licensed Im trained but need a nursing home to sponsor me to take my CNA boards and around here they dont want to do that
But thanks so much Linda, your resumes really helped me and taught me a lot about resume writing and I really really appreciate it as does DH!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Walmart would be better, with the benefits etc. Perhaps see if you can reschedule the gas station interview if you still want to go to that one too, but if Walmart is pretty much a guarantee I'd do that interview first.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

Yeah I have dropped them off...and I have gotten quite a few comments such as "Awesume Resume" the reason they wont hire me is because Im not licensed Im trained but need a nursing home to sponsor me to take my CNA boards and around here they dont want to do that
But thanks so much Linda, your resumes really helped me and taught me a lot about resume writing and I really really appreciate it as does DH!
Are you saying they require EVERY testing candidate to be sponsored by a nursing home? How on Earth would anyone ever get certified if the facilities don't want to sponsor? I'm sure the regulations vary from state to state, but it might be worthwhile to double-check if there's any other way you can test.

Back on topic: If I were you, I'd see if I could reschedule the gas station and keep the original interview with WalMart. Good luck finding a position!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here my understanding is that you have to be sponsored by a Nursing home or have a DON in the state to call and set you up for the boards