Knots in fur....

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi my Misty has a lot of knots on different parts of her body. I use a comb to try to get them out but I know that hurts her. I have a furminator also but they specifically say do not use for knots. The comb I use is actually a flea comb which I bought from my vet years ago. Do you have any other suggestions?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest a medium or wide tooth comb for detangling. Sometimes I start by just picking at the knot with the end of the comb (gently) just to losen it up a bit. A flea comb is really not going to help with knots. You could also try a dematting tool such as this: http://Dematting toolDematting tool

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Hi my Misty has a lot of knots on different parts of her body. I use a comb to try to get them out but I know that hurts her. I have a furminator also but they specifically say do not use for knots. The comb I use is actually a flea comb which I bought from my vet years ago. Do you have any other suggestions?
My very first thought was how often do you comb her? Persi never has knots or mats because I never miss a day combing him. You do not say how often you comb Misty. I comb Persi every day. Here is the comb I use. Persi loves to be combed and is waiting.

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother's cat Bobo has tons of knots. Of course, she never grooms him. Sometimes I would just comb the knot until it got pulled out but I could tell it really hurt him. Next, I started cutting them off with a scissors but sometimes in my quest to cut it completely off, I cut him. He's about to die soon (cancer), so now I just leave them b/c I don't want to stress him out.