HELP!! Itchy skin and dry flaking claws

apples

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty pineapple has alot of medical problems, including very sensitive skin. Lately she has take to scratching infront of her ears where the fur is thin, She ends up with BIG scabs and really deep cuts and open wounds. I currently have absolutely no money to get her to an anti histermine injection but i have some antibiotics here that my vet has given me for when this sort of thing happens. I was wondering if there is anything around the home i could possibly use to make her feel not so itchy or for the scabs to heal a bit faster
I put a bit of Lansinoh on one of her scabs that was looking not so good (Lansinoh is a 100% purified Lanolin cream, lanolin is the oily substance found in sheeps wool that keeps them warm in wind and rain. It is a product that breast feeding mothers use when their nipples are cracked and dry.) Im hoping that it is kitty friendly, it has no preservatives or additives of any kind and i do know that it is safe for babies/newborns to ingest.
If anyone has any cool kitty home remidies for this sort of thing i would LOVE to know.

Also, i noticed today that her claws are all split at the ends and they are flaking, is this normal? Should i trim them or put a bit or moisturiser on them? She only has one back leg so i have tried to not trim her front claws because she needs them to climb up things (somethimes she doesnt make it up onto the bed because she cannot jump very high since the leg amputation)

Hope somebody out there can help! I love my little girl and I really hate to see her uncomfortable!

titchysmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my kitty Jet (R.I.P) has skin problems on her chest I found a cream at my local pet store that was tea tree based and was designed to soothe, its also pet friendly. I cant remember the name now but i think it was something really obvious like "tea tree soothing cream"

Hope this helps.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by titchysmomma

When my kitty Jet (R.I.P) has skin problems on her chest I found a cream at my local pet store that was tea tree based and was designed to soothe, its also pet friendly. I cant remember the name now but i think it was something really obvious like "tea tree soothing cream"

Hope this helps.
TEA TREE is TOXIC to cats

titchysmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I must have been very lucky then. But also I think there was only minimal amounts of tea tree in the cream, I would like to state that it was not in excessive amounts or in its raw oil form. It also helped my cat over come her skin problems. I also consulted my vet before using it.

It does amaze me how where i live there are a lot of tea tree based products for cats, advertized specifically for cats, such as shampoo, just goes to show you cant trust retailers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apples

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I didn't know tea tree is toxic to cats!
I know penicillan is a no-no as it turns into an acid in their liver.

Might go round to all the big pet stores or duck into the vet to see if they have any creams or a wash/powder that will stop her from itching.

Thanks for the help guy!
But what should i do about the claws?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps trimming them just a little bit would help. A good fatty acid supplement might also help. Do you know, does your kitty chew her nails? (Chewing them will also make the claws look terrible.)

EDIT: Here is a good article about fatty acids. A fatty acid supplement just might help with the sensitive skin and itching as well.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=665

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties nails start to crack and look icky right before they fall off! There is always a new one underneath so I dont worry about it anymore! The skin issue is worrysome though, could it be ringworm?? I know that makes them itch like heck!! Eek is itching right now the poor baby!