Conquering Fears

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Saturday I'm facing a horrible fear of mine!

I have a very bad fear of water. I've posted the reason why a couple of times. For those who want to read the story, here is the link:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...03#post1833403

Anyway, I went out and bought a bathing suit today and am going to my first aquasize class on Saturday! Here is a picture of a suit that looks similar to the one I bought. It's a 2 piece: a bottom and the top part which has the dress portion built into the garment. It's a black and brown leopard pattern, hehe

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qu8OMlhDL._AA280_.jpg

I'm absolutely terrified!!! My stomach churns just thinking about getting into the pool. But I'm committed to getting my health back and getting back to work and part of that is having to go to the gym.

I can only do resistance training 3 times per week, but I need to and want to go more often, so instead of just walking on the treadmill on those extra days, I am going to do an aquasize class to get in some additional cardio and stretching, plus take in the sauna and whirl pool for some relaxation.

Wish me luck! I'm going to need it!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid of heights and have never been able to totally conquer that fear. Air assault school was bad enough but there's no way I would ever jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

Best of luck with conquering your fear of water! I used to be able to swim like a fish, now I'm more of beached whale.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your aquasize class like the aquafit classes I go to? We are always in the shallow end of the pool. It is more aerobics than swimming.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG that woman who pushed you in was such an idiot! What an unforgivable thing to do to a kid! I hope she was fired!

Like butzie pointed out, you will probably never get your head under the water in an aquatics class, or even get water on your face.

I'm sure it will be fine. Please let us know how it went!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have a fear of water. My sister almost drowned me when I was about 3 years old. My nightmares usually involve drowning. I clipped this from your other thread because I have exactly the same issues:

"Water running over my face causes me to panic even if it's water from the shower. I have to use a wet cloth to wash my face because I can't splash water over my nose or mouth.

I have been swimming since, but only in water that is maybe waist high (any higher and I start to panic), and I can swim the front stroke or the back stroke and do the dog paddle, provided that my face remains out of the water...and so long as my feet touch the bottom if I stop swimming."

I even get freaky when walking or driving over bridges, getting into a boat of any size, or flying over water.

I've tried a lot of things throughout my life, even forcing myself into "extreme" situations like white water rafting to conquer my fears (even went over a 10 foot waterfall in a raft). I've gone snorkeling in the ocean in water way over my head (with baracudas). I've gotten into the deep end of pools and forced myself to tread water. I've parasailed over the ocean. I even canoed in a crocodile filled river in Panama. Nothing has really helped get over my fear, but what it has taught me is that I can live through it. And I'm married to a water bug.

When I go into the water, I will only do things where I will feel safe. If in deep water, I'll bring a floaty with me or stay by the edge of the pool. In a boat I'll wear a life preserver and I don't care if people giggle or the water is 1 foot deep. When people question me, I simply tell them I have a fear of water and I need these things to keep me comfortable. Most people have some type of fear and will understand. If someone asks you to do something you are not comfortable with, refuse. I have found that 2 things help me: wearing a snorkeling mask or a noseplug. The feeling of water getting into my nose freaks me out and these things help me a lot.

In private and at your own pace, stretch yourself just a little bit. You will never get over your fear entirely, but you can learn to be more comfortable with it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fear will always be there, however the trick is to learn to quiet that fear.

I have a huge fear of needles, snakes, and spiders (those bigger than Daddy Long Legs).

I finally realized a couple weeks ago that when I had blood drawn, the fear more or less changed into a dislike. In fact I don't even remember forcing myself to look away.

Spiders...well our last house made me deal with that fear. We had a bunch of field spiders...brown, big abdomen-like, eck...

Snakes...well I'll let you know after this summer. I scream like a little girl...even if they're on TV

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Is your aquasize class like the aquafit classes
Yeah. They changed the name to "Aquafit", but I've always known tham as "Aquasizes"

I know it's more aerobics than swimming, but it's the idea of getting into the pool. After that drowning incident it was years before I ever went into a pool again, and finally when I did it was only maybe 10 or 12 times, but always in the shallow end like maybe hip high. But I haven't been in a pool in over 25 years and I've totally forgotten what it's like. And I'm trying my best to keep the panicky feeling that is building up, under control.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is two kinds of aquasize classes. The deep water aerobics, and the water aerobics! Just make sure you dont get the deep water one! Otherwise you will be in the 12 ft water all scared! Dont push yourself too hard, because it wont help anything! You have to do it at your pace, one step at a time! Good luck!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand completely. I nearly drowned, as well, when I was a little girl and nearly took my brother with me. I have never, ever gotten over my fear of the water. I freak if I have to drive over a bridge and we have several big ones here in Michigan.

I also am afraid of spiders and of needles... but not like I was when I was a little girl. Reptiles I can deal with. Used to catch frogs when I was a little girl.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck! All I can advise is to take things easy!

My only fear is drowning! I almost drowned 3 times in my life,the first was when I was a kid taking swimming lessons! Then another time we were in a pond and I tripped in a rock and went under and the third,a friend was actually trying to teach me,but kinda rushed me and pulled me in and I went under and pulled her under too.We were too far for me to grab anything,but her!

Now I am 23 yrs old and cannot swim and refuse to try and get over my fear! I panic if I cannot touch the bottom,am not close to anything I can hold onto or the water goes over my head.

I finally came to the conclusion I really do not care if I can't swim! Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I freak if I have to drive over a bridge and we have several big ones here in Michigan.
OMG! Me too! I went across the Mackinac Bridge once back in 1978 on the way to Detroit! I was terrified!! I was laying flat on the back seat too afraid to look out the window. I was so scared that I was crying and shaking really badly
On the way back we went a different route through Chicago!

I love to fly but I'm terrified of the thought of flying over water so while I'd love to see places like Greece or Japan or even Australia, I doubt I'll ever be able to because of the need to fly over the ocean.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Linda Your head won't even go under I'm sure..so you should be okay

My mom has the same fear..she can't swim and is scared of the water. My brothers dad pushed her into a pool deep end once to "make her learn" and the lifegaurd who was 20 years younger than her had to save her.

I have that type of fear about heights. I don't know how I'll ever ride in a plane. I burst into tears in the indoor ferris wheel at Niagara Falls. Heights terrify me.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Is your aquasize class like the aquafit classes I go to? We are always in the shallow end of the pool. It is more aerobics than swimming.
that class at the gym i go swimming out. I have only seen them in the shallow end of the pool.

maybe this will be a help in getting over your fear of the water.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trout's mom

I have that type of fear about heights. I don't know how I'll ever ride in a plane. I burst into tears in the indoor ferris wheel at Niagara Falls. Heights terrify me.
I thought the same thing when I first flew in a plane. It's weird, I wasn't scared at all and looked out the window during the whole flight. We have a smaller scale version of the Eiffel Tower here at King's Island and I won't go to rail and look down at the top. Go figure.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was afraid of heights up until I was almost 18! I lived with my uncle and aunt at this point (long story, Ill tell it another time) and they had taken me to valley fair. No big deal, yeah the rollercoasters are scary but I can handle it! Then when we were all done my uncle points at the rip cord and says, I bet you you would pee your pants on that! So we bet on it, he would pay for everything I wanted and the ticket, movie ect. so Im on my way being pulled up 180ft and I so wanted to go down. I was panicing and just freaking out. Then I got to the top and they said 3 2 1 fly, I pulled the cord figuring it was the only way down, and that pretty well cured my fear of heights. I now love the rip cord! (going up still scares the crap outta me) I cant stand going up, but I love going down!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish you lots and lots of luck; facing a fear is always hard. You'll be so proud of yourself once you've done it!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will pose your question to my sister. She was a college swim coach for over 20 years and gave private swim lessons and teaches at a summer swim camp. She might have some advice for you.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered your original thread and all I can say is...good for you! You will be fine. I know it's scary for you, but for these exercises you shouldn't have to even get your hair wet. And it is great excercise!

btw, I LOVE the bathing suit you picked out!! I might have to one of them myself!