spay question

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I adopted brother and sister kittens, they are both 4 months old, the sister is a runt, she is half the size of the other kittens.
I want to have them spayed/neutered one at a time, starting with the boy. I am using the humane society, they have a low-cost program. It will probably be a couple months before the boy is done because they have to administer the complete series of vaccines before they will do it.
So anyway, I'm just wondering at what age females can start reproducing. I am hoping she will be done before she is sexually mature.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a risk she could get pregnant fairly soon - many females seem to have their first heat as young as 4 or 5 months old these days. Be aware, if you're getting the male done first, that they still carry active sperm for a few weeks after and can still get a female pregnant - so if at all possible, get the female done first, it saves you having to keep them separate!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you spay her first... as the male can have strays up to a month after ... that way you know your safe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes! I'm glad I posted about this, I definately don't want her getting pregnant and especially not by her brother kitten. I will put in her application for the spay right away and have them both done at the same time! It will still be a couple of months probably because of the whole vaccine series thing, so I hope everything will be okay.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vaccine series should only take three weeks.
I'm assuming you're referring to rabies and distemper (usually required) - which can be administered at the same time - and then the distemper again in three weeks.

Laurie

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, but the whole series has to be complete before they will do the surgeries. So they have to give the first set, wait 3-4 weeks, then do the 2nd set and wait another 3-4 weeks, then do the third set and wait another 2-3 weeks and then they will do the surgery.

ETA: its not like when you have it done at the vets. The humane society is a lot more strict about it. And from the time I turn in the application its at least a 2 week wait until they give the first set of vaccines :/

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 sets!?! That's ridiculous.....they have immunity a week after the 2nd distemper shot. She could be pregnant by then.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just learned that male cats dont mature sexually until somewhere between 9 and 12 months of age. So I feel a lot better now, it doesn't seem like she is at risk of getting pregnant before we get in them in to be fixed

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

I just learned that male cats dont mature sexually until somewhere between 9 and 12 months of age. So I feel a lot better now, it doesn't seem like she is at risk of getting pregnant before we get in them in to be fixed
I think that males are mature by 6 months...
maybe younger.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmm, i checked a few online sites and they all said females usually mature at 6 months, sometimes as early as 5. And males mature between 9 and 12.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trust me, they can get each other pregnant at 4 months. I've seen kittens, who we know the DOB, get each other pregnant at 4 months.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would trust the lower numbers....
better safe than sorry.

Thank you for taking this important issue of spaying and neutering seriously.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, either way, I'm going to have them both done as soon as I possibly can anyway. I just felt a little less worried after reading those sites.

I found out that they have a thing going on at Petco on Sunday, a person that does spay/neuters is going to be there handing out spay/neuter vouchers for a local vet. And there isnt all the waiting. Hopefully I can get that and then we won't have to worry about anything

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing a really good thing for your sweeties...

Keep us updated so we can send vibes for a quick healing on their surgery day.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

hmm, i checked a few online sites and they all said females usually mature at 6 months, sometimes as early as 5. And males mature between 9 and 12.
I know a few breeders who've had girls mated by 5-6 month old boys.

Many girls call before 6 months too, when it comes to spaying and neutering the sooner the better IMO.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie went into her first and only heat at 14 weeks

Zoey was a four month and preggers girl

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please have them spayed once they reach 2lbs in weight do not wait any longer than you have to. It is perfectly safe to do a spay/neuter on them once they are 2lbs
At the shelter where i work as a vet tech, we do spays/neuters on the young ones all the time if they are healthy they normally never have any issues and bounce back pretty quickly!

At their age they are old enough for Felv/FIV Bordatella and Kitten Rabies
They should be vaccinated for everything and dewormed as well. They will need two more sets of boosters- but that can be given several weeks in conjunction with the first round so you could give them the first round and have them altared then go back a few weeks later for the second round and then longer again for the third. Do NOT wait until your female is six months of age to have her spayed- it's not uncommon for them to get pregnant before that age so it's not fool proof- your best bet is to have all your kitties altared once they are at 2lbs

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't worry. I get the feeling you didn't actually read my posts :/

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Please have them spayed once they reach 2lbs in weight do not wait any longer than you have to. It is perfectly safe to do a spay/neuter on them once they are 2lbs
At the shelter where i work as a vet tech, we do spays/neuters on the young ones all the time if they are healthy they normally never have any issues and bounce back pretty quickly!

At their age they are old enough for Felv/FIV Bordatella and Kitten Rabies
They should be vaccinated for everything and dewormed as well. They will need two more sets of boosters- but that can be given several weeks in conjunction with the first round so you could give them the first round and have them altared then go back a few weeks later for the second round and then longer again for the third. Do NOT wait until your female is six months of age to have her spayed- it's not uncommon for them to get pregnant before that age so it's not fool proof- your best bet is to have all your kitties altared once they are at 2lbs