How come knitting is so hard for a left hander??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grrr...................

Well There are many websites out there for left hand knitting. I can cast on ok but I just get confused when it comes to the actual knitting the first row.
Yikes!! It should be so hard.

Guess I'll have to practice that first row a bunch of times hoping it sinks into my head.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even knit right handed! I can cast on ok but when I begin the first row it always slips off and I have to start all over! I've decided to stick to crocheting for now... mush easier to stop and start.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could remember what my mum did because she was left-handed and used to knit all the time. Have a feeling she taught herself to do it right-handed but it was just so long ago, I can`t picture it

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to learn to crochet left-handed. I had a woman who taught me how, but I never had much patience for it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i don't know if it was being left handed, but i know i have no patience, so dropping stitches all the time made me stop trying to knit years ago.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm ampedextrous (sp?) - so I wouldn't know. Mainly eat and write with my left hand, but do most other things right handed.

Never got into knitting, etc.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Mainly eat and write with my left hand, but do most other things right handed.
Me too, a left hander taught me to knit but it didn't feel right so I switched hands, that was better but really I'm not that into knitting so just gave up.

I do wish my wallet was for left handers, it folds in 3 and I always open it upside down

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha I couldn't knit if my life depended on it!! I can crochet a little, but I always get screwed up after a while, so then I tought myself how to crochet the first row without the needle! But, normally those get turned into reins for my daughters horses... I get bored so easily!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think I'm getting the hang of it. The directions I printed off seemed easy that watching the video and was much less awkward. However I seem to be adding stitches somehow. Well this is my first project I don't expect it to be perfect.
But using the knit jig was much faster!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard even for those of us who are right handed!

I always end up with blisters because my stitches are too tight, and I drop stitches and don't realize it, and even if i did realize it I wouldn't know how to get it back, plus I have no clue how to end things, so all I can knit are never ending scarfs!
k

So far as crocheting goes, all I can crochet are granny squares.

I do love to do cross stitch though