Feliway or Rescue Remedy

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not the same at all, so you can't say which one works better, because they are both completely DIFFERENT.

I have used them both for different reasons, and BOTH worked very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

randy_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My understanding is that both can be used as stress reducers for things like car trips and visits to the groomer?? So which would be the better choice for such an application??

BTW, my kitty's name is Ginger, too!! At least that is what the folks at the shelter told me. She doesn't seem to pay much attention to it except around dinner time.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Randy_

My understanding is that both can be used as stress reducers for things like car trips and visits to the groomer?? So which would be the better choice for such an application??

BTW, my kitty's name is Ginger, too!! At least that is what the folks at the shelter told me. She doesn't seem to pay much attention to it except around dinner time.
I will use Feliway Spray, and spray the inside of the cat carrier with it about 30 minutes before I need to put the cat into it for the vet trip. That's worked best for me - and for the kitties.

The diffusers are for around the house, and I have 4 of them going, with NO problems, but that is because I recently introduced Max to the others. AS soon as the diffuser refills run dry, they'll be removed from the plugs.

I use the spray for short term effect. I find that the Rescue Remedy, or any other flower essence, for that matter, is best used over a period of a couple of weeks.

I hope that helps - and my Ginger says to please tell your Ginger that she got a great name. My Ginger was named "Bauble" by the shelter I adopted her from, and she and I both hated it, so she asked me to name her Ginger.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

After catching 2 Feliway diffusers before they started a housefire (the units went bad), I only use Rescue Remedy if we have issues.
WTH that's scary

I have used both with success...I guess whatever you have on hand if you have the Spray feliway ..spray it in the carrier (According to directions) And if you have the Rescue Remedy rub a little on the inside of her ear, you can also put it in her water.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

WTH that's scary

I have used both with success...I guess whatever you have on hand if you have the Spray feliway ..spray it in the carrier (According to directions) And if you have the Rescue Remedy rub a little on the inside of her ear, you can also put it in her water.
Yeah, I was shaking after the second time one went bad.
I won't buy them anymore. It's too bad, because the stuff works. If I need it in the future I'll use the spray.

I did hear somewhere that you can dab the spray onto a rag and rub it on a light bulb to diffuse it without a diffuser. I would think you would have to refresh it fairly often though.
I saw something similar with essential oils on "How Clean is Your House," so it must be the same principle.

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the rescue remedy but Feliway helped tremendously in my home when I know my cats are going be going through a rough patch. I have used the plug in version when we have moved, when there were new kitties to be introduced and when our little girl Pixie was terminally ill to help soothe her as much as possible. We don't use it constantly though, but it works very well in helping our cat Miles not be anxious and do his peeing thing.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are kind of for different problems but are both supposed to be calming.

Feliway is great with territorial issues, like spraying. If your cats are stressed out and it's because of a new presence (new cat, new dog, new person), Feliway would probably help. Feliway works by imitating cat pheremones

I have used Feliway diffusers. They are expensive but my main concern is that they get REALLY hot when they shouldn't be. It wasn't like that at first, but it was after a month or two. You are supposed to replace the actual diffuser every year I think but based on my experience and others', it seems like you actually should be changing them much more often. Or else you might be facing a dangerous situation.

Rescue Remedy is also calming, but I think is more appropriate for anxiety or stress.