what breed for our family

emsharpe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are looking to get a kitten to join our family.

Sadly our ragdoll cat escaped 4 weeks ago and was hit by a car
. He was my 5year old daughter's baby and she misses him dreadfully. She very much wants another cat but for it to look nothing like a ragdoll as she doesnt want to compare them.

We have a large house and 3 generally well-behaved children! (ages 1, 5 and 10), I am a SAHM so there will usually be someone in the house.

We would like a cuddly type of cat to be a real friend to the children but ideally not one who will run up curtains like a mad thing LOL.

I am thinking maybe a burmese as I always had them as a child but maybe there is another breed out there that would be just right for us.

TIA for any help.

Emma

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emsharpe

We are looking to get a kitten to join our family.

Sadly our ragdoll cat escaped 4 weeks ago and was hit by a car
. He was my 5year old daughter's baby and she misses him dreadfully. She very much wants another cat but for it to look nothing like a ragdoll as she doesnt want to compare them.

We have a large house and 3 generally well-behaved children! (ages 1, 5 and 10), I am a SAHM so there will usually be someone in the house.

We would like a cuddly type of cat to be a real friend to the children but ideally not one who will run up curtains like a mad thing LOL.

I am thinking maybe a burmese as I always had them as a child but maybe there is another breed out there that would be just right for us.

TIA for any help.

Emma
That is so sad. I am so sorry about your cat. When you say escaped I assume that you keep your cat inside. Whatever new cat you decide on, please remember what happened to your last cat and make sure there is no way he can escape. I don't know of any kitten that will not climb the curtains. You have to cat proof your house and that includes taking the curtains down!

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I'm sorry about what happened to your cat, but I don't know enough about different breed personalities to make any suggestions. I have a bobtail mix and have become quite interested in Japanese Bobtails.

http://kiddlyn.com/breed.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emsharpe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

That is so sad. I am so sorry about your cat. When you say escaped I assume that you keep your cat inside. Whatever new cat you decide on, please remember what happened to your last cat and make sure there is no way he can escape. I don't know of any kitten that will not climb the curtains. You have to cat proof your house and that includes taking the curtains down!
Yes we did of course keep him inside. Unfortunately he was desperate to get outside and spent most of his time trying to figure out ways to make his escape. He had escaped twice before that time - one of those times he walked to our neighbours house, through their cat flap and up to their bedroom where they found him asleep on their bed
. The third time for some reason he decided to just keep on running and crossed the end of our road ( a very quiet road) - unfortunately at that moment someone drove along too fast and hit him. And didnt stop. We spent a week searching everywhere for him only to find out what had happened.

So whilst I can say we will keep a cat inside how do other people manage to do that in a busy household if a cat is desperate to get out?

And as a kitten he didnt climb any curtains! Neither did any of the burmeses we had or our BSH - maybe we were just lucky?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I'm so sorry about your cat getting out and getting hit and killed. I can understand why your kids don't want a "look alike".

I suggest Maine Coons or Burmese, or British SH or American SH. These breeds are more on the quiet side unlike a Siamese, Oriental, Ocicat, Bengal or Rex.

As far as how to keep them inside? Usually if you never take them outside except in a carrier, they don't show a lot of desire to go out. You just have to be consistant and watchful the first few months and make it "scary" for them to hang out by the doors.

Took us about 6 months to get Ling out of that habit of trying to get outside. She was a barn kitten and was inside from the time she was 5-6 weeks old, but still gave us a hard time for awhile in wanting to go out where the rest of the cats were.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss, how heartbreaking

My husband had a Burmese when he was younger and has very fond memories of him, a very friendly cat
If you wanted to look for something completely different, have a look at the Selkirk Rex - they are gentle and calm cats, but stay quite playful as adults so may be well suited to a young family. They have thick curly coats like lambs and come in both longhair and shorthair varieties, but they don't require much grooming at all despite looking as if they'd be complicated to care for. If you don't want something as different as that, then I second the suggestion of British Shorthair, they have nice laid back temperaments.

Incidentally, my Oriental, despite being a high energy breed, has NEVER climbed the curtains in all the time we've had him. This is thanks to when he was still living with his breeder, she would stand by her curtains and gently pluck off one kitten after another, tell them no, and put them back on the floor. It is thanks to the huge effort she put in doing basic behaviour correction at an appropriate age that I have such a well behaved (mostly!) cat now. Look for a breeder like that, of any breed, and you can't go wrong

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persians are not climbers and tend to be docile. But if you think the kids would enjoy a very clever, amusing cat, then Maine Coon is definitely a consideration. MCs are the quintessential family cat - they relate to everyone individually, including the family dog - they seem almost multi-personality because they adapt so well to the entire group. Manx are fun, but high-energy and often select one or two people to be their "main people".
IMO, your best bet is to take the kids down to PetsMart & see how the cats react to the kids. I recently observed the cats looking at the people looking them (in a PetsMart); mom & 2 kids were admiring a Siamese mix who didn't seem to appreciate the kids' energy levels. HOWEVER, a sweet, Oriental shaped, beautiful brown boy immed. got up & got against the window, tail up & batting at "nothings" on the floor. I pointed that out to the boy, & immediately they were enthralled at that cat. Hopefully, there was a match

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you grew up with Burmese, the cats you remember may be quite different from the cats today. Their look has changed dramatically over the last few decades.

There are many, many Maine Coon breeders within America, but where are you from? The Chartreux are laid back cats, but still have enough energy to be amusing. Birmans are also laid back, but might resemble your Ragdoll too much for your childrens' taste.

A Manx might be a good fit. They are relaxed, but still like to play. The fact that they have no tail would eliminate any nasty eruptions a cat could have when its tail gets pulled. Personally, I think that the longhaired Manx (Cymric) is amongst the most stunning of cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you pick the Manx, you can get partial or full tailed Manx. They are usually in a breeding program cause you shouldn't breed tailless to tailless, but you might find a pet one.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take your kids to a cat show and let them look at the breeds. Have them pick a few they like then do some research online about their personalities.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I think many of us adults can identify with that feeling
Oh yes!

I think Burmese are lovely cats. As to the curtain climbing thing - I think it's down to individual temperament. Jaffa and his brother Magpie never climbed the curtains when they were kittens but it's one of Mosi's favourite pastimes. He loves to swing from them and gives me his defiant look if I give him so much as a look of disapproval.

As to what breed - I have to suggest Somali
Similar to a ragdoll in terms of being semi longhaired, but not so similar as to draw comparisons with your ragdoll.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you lost him, that is so sad.
I can understand not wanting a kitten that looks and reminds you of the one you lost, however ragdolls do come in different colors and patterns, so you could have one that looks nothing like the last. Or mabey look into a solid ragdoll, or ragamuffin, they will have the same gentle charactoristics, but look different. ( I am biast, but ragdolls are such great cats with kids, and every one. I wouldn't have another breed, well mabey I would get a pet of another breed too, but I will always have my ragdolls!)
I have always liked scottish folds, but can't advise on wether they climb the curtains, not sure how active they are.
I would definatley suggest a cat show or shelter (or breed rescue) You can meet the cat (parents, and breeder if going with a purebred at a cat show) Good luck with searching. I hope you find what you are looking for.

killer kitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I'd recommend is to take the kids to a local shelter and find your newest family member there. A free-range shelter is especially great for interacting with the cats and letting your cat pick you.
I've wanted a ragdoll for years, and always end up instead with a cat that really needs a break. I've never been sorry.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Killer Kitten

What I'd recommend is to take the kids to a local shelter and find your newest family member there. A free-range shelter is especially great for interacting with the cats and letting your cat pick you.
I've wanted a ragdoll for years, and always end up instead with a cat that really needs a break. I've never been sorry.
While I don't disagree with you, that is a good way to find a cat, this thread has been posted in the "Breeders Corner" forum, which is the place on TCS specifically for discussion of purebred cats and for people to ask for and receive advice about choosing and finding a purebred cat. I have both moggies and pedigree cats and both have their benefits, but in this one forum we should really keep it to answering specific breed queries.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all Burms and E Burms especially (that's the breed I'm more familiar with) a fantastic with kids, especially those that are 5 and below.

I find that E Burms are very very laid back, you can do almost anything with them! You can wrap em around your neck, swing them like a handbag (which all kids LOVE to do!), toss them in the air and not a claw nor a hiss will escape.

At the same time they are full of energy and will do 360* flips after a toy. Solidy built love bugs, they will cuddle at the same time!

Abys are great for kids above five IMO, but with you having two kids at 5 and below, you can't go wrong with a Burm or E Burm!

However, I concur that you should go to a cat show and figure out which breed you and your family prefer!

killer kitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

While I don't disagree with you, that is a good way to find a cat, this thread has been posted in the "Breeders Corner" forum, which is the place on TCS specifically for discussion of purebred cats and for people to ask for and receive advice about choosing and finding a purebred cat. I have both moggies and pedigree cats and both have their benefits, but in this one forum we should really keep it to answering specific breed queries.
My abject apologies. I was giving my best advice to answer the original question, which I interpreted as: "What would be a good family pet?".
I am new to these forums and did not realize that coloring outside the lines was discouraged here. My bad.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Killer Kitten

My abject apologies. I was giving my best advice to answer the original question, which I interpreted as: "What would be a good family pet?".
I am new to these forums and did not realize that coloring outside the lines was discouraged here. My bad.
Please don't take it personal, people are very friendly and don't try and discourage any one, I am sure it wasn't meant to be that way, it's just there are a lot of rescue people here, and some times they give breeders and people looking for purebreds alot of negativity, so this is the one place we can freely talk about buying and breeding purebreds without being jumped all over.
I also suggested checking a show, breed rescue, or a shelter too, but in no way trying to convince any one in any direction. (because if I was I would say RAGDOLL!!!!!!)

So don't feel bad, just don't do it again

The OP was asking about specific breeds, I am sure you just interprited it differently. Moggies and purebreds are all great cats and steal our hearts no matter what size, color, or breed.