Psychotic behavior perhaps?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little background.

I have a 5 year old neutered Male cat, we adopted him from an animal shelter. He was taken off the streets as a stray kitten, and was in a shelter alone for at least 4 months after. He was then adopted, but his home we heard had a big male cat that beat up on our cat, so he was returned back to the shelter, where we adopted him.

He likes people alot, but does NOT like being picked up, he will bite you if you pick him up and growl at you. We think he may have been abused or hit in his 1st home.

He is up to date on his shots and otherwise healthy.

I also feed strays so my 2 cats see the cats through our windows/back door.

My Male cat goes crazy when he sees another cat outside.

For the first 2 years we had him seeing a stray outside wasnt a big deal to him, he would sometimes meow softly to a cat, just watching them play/eat outside. It was just another thing to watch basically.
He never ever hissed at all, no matter if we gave him a bath or not, only at the vets did he hiss.

We've got a few more strays now, so a few more come to our back door more often meowing and eating on the back steps, some are really people friendly so if they see me they go meowing like crazy trying to get in, we've got adults and a few under 1 year old.

The recent two years (when he was 3 and older) he has just done a compete 360 when he sees the cats now.

In the Winter we have a glass window pane in so he cant smell the outside but can see the cats and faintly hear them.

If a cat is eating at the back door, even sleeping on our back steps (old or young, male or female) he goes nuts!
He will charge at our back door, smacking his paw on the door aggressivly (but not enough that he hurts himself) It's hard enough it sounds like someone is knocking on our door! He then growls deeply and hisses loudly, sometimes a high pitched growl close to sounding when 2 males fight (but not as high pitched) He will do this for 10 minutes, or as long as the cat is there. If the cat just goes to eat or wakes up from sleeping he will smack the door continuously, and scratch trying to "dig" under the metal door frame, freaking out growling louder and hissing so hard spit comes out. He actually sounds possessed if you didnt know it!

If you go to throw out garbage or move him away while he's doing this, you'll get bit by him on your leg or arm, whatever's closer, and he will draw blood. If our other cat (a female) comes up behind him while he's like this (just to look out the door) he'll turn around and hiss/growl at her and smack her with his paw, she wont go near him after that.

So I try to distract him with his favorite toy away from the door, the feather on a stick. He growls at the toy and literally smacks it so hard it gets knocked out of my hand, he then runs away and usually acts as if nothing happened, usually sleeping after or going to eat.

Sometimes he'll get out in our yard for a minute, and you think he'll attack the cats outside the way he acts towards them inside. Nope, he runs past them hissing and avoids them at all costs, and they ignore him. He is calm after that.

After he decides to stop this odd behavior, he walks away as if nothing happened, he's fairly calm, can be petted with no trouble, and doesnt do anything to our other cat.

As if he is Bipolar and has two personalities!

I dont know if he is jealous of the other cats, or mabye feels threatened by them. He has seen males fight outside, so mabye after being in a shelter and not seeing any of this behavior, over the years he is picking up on some of the stray cats behavior? Like I said when we adopted him he never hissed and at first if he saw a stray at out back door was as calm as ever, no aggression.

What is this behavior?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biting when you pick him up could be because he just wasn't adjusted to it when younger and now doesn't like it.

Maybe there are just too many smells and cats around for his liking? If you've had a stray rub against your pant leg while outside, what is his behavior if he smells this?

Best suggestion I can think of is to move the stray cats feeding station away from the house. And try to decrease the amount of cats around and certainly the amount of unaltered cats around.

Have you tried feliway diffusers and/or bach's rescue remedy? I've no personal experience with either of these products (luckily enough to never have needed it), but other members here have reported good results.

Please be careful since he is drawing blood with his bites. It is very easy for a cat bite to become infected. (My step sister was just in the hospital last weekend from a very small cat bite)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This by no means is psychotic behavior, it sounds more like insecure, dominant behavior. As far as aggression when handled, it is a fear reaction whether it is from lack of handling when younger and/or abusive past, who knows. The best way to help this is by gaining his trust, and being surrounded by strays all outside his home is not the way to do this! The reason the aggression towards outside cats slowly built up is because when he first came to your home, it wasn't his home yet. A couple years go by and he feels more comfortable, finally excepting his home as his territory. Seeing and smelling stray cats looming around his home/territory is a constant threat and terrifying for him! I completely understand helping the stray cats, feeding them and giving them attention, would do the same myself............What you need to do is draw them away from your home. When you do feed them, not outside your home!!!!! This is an extremely traumatic, threatening situation when stray cats are outside the home of an indoor cat. It often causes all kinds of behavioral changes and aggression.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

This by no means is psychotic behavior, it sounds more like insecure, dominant behavior. As far as aggression when handled, it is a fear reaction whether it is from lack of handling when younger and/or abusive past, who knows. The best way to help this is by gaining his trust, and being surrounded by strays all outside his home is not the way to do this! The reason the aggression towards outside cats slowly built up is because when he first came to your home, it wasn't his home yet. A couple years go by and he feels more comfortable, finally excepting his home as his territory. Seeing and smelling stray cats looming around his home/territory is a constant threat and terrifying for him! I completely understand helping the stray cats, feeding them and giving them attention, would do the same myself............What you need to do is draw them away from your home. When you do feed them, not outside your home!!!!! This is an extremely traumatic, threatening situation when stray cats are outside the home of an indoor cat. It often causes all kinds of behavioral changes and aggression.
I agree with both posts.

Similar kind of problem I had with Kitty when Maisie arrived. He doesn`t attack her either, but he did act very aggressive towards me and was very insecure and felt his patch was threatened and not his anymore.

Your cats not crazy, just normal terratorial behaviour
It may take a while but if you keep the strays out of view and be carful about washing your hands after touching them, things should get back to normal.

Maybe he was ok before because he went through adolescence a bit later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to know it's territorial issues and that he isnt ill.

If I go outside and come in after a cat rubbed against me he immedietly smells my pants for like 5 minutes, but he doesnt get angry or anything after he just smells and walks away.

The cats outside are all fixed and vaccinated and I havent been bitten by a stray, it's the non-resident males that arent fixed simply because I cant afford to fix them all and they arent the ones coming to the back steps anyway.

I actually have the cat food very far away from my back steps, but that doesnt stop the strays from sleeping on my back steps sunning themselves, or sitting there when it's raining out. They just feel safer close to my house. No matter what they will still come to my steps, and they arent doing anything wrong really.

I've heard of Feliway but thought it was for cats living with each other that have problems, or for spraying? Plus my parents think it's wrong to drug a cat, and isnt it pricey too? Besides if I started that and ran out he'll just go back to being the same, it doesnt seem like a solution? I'm not mad he gets angry, it's not his fault I like him no matter how he acts.

Our other cat isnt bothered by the strays so long as they stay outside and not in contact with her. If she came in conflict with them she isnt territorial, she gets fearful. She hardly ever has contact with them so that isnt an issue and she used to be a feral in our yard before we adopted her so she is used to seeing lots of other cats.

Believe me though he IS a People cat, he likes people, just not being picked up by them or seeing other cats. If you walk in our house you will be greeted by him first!

We were warned when we adopted him he has behavioral issues, it was because of this that he was due to be PTS if he wasnt adopted soon. So we adopted him and although he is a little "different" thats what makes him special.