Hate rules and authority

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup I do and have always been this way. I don't hate it enough to get fired but I can't stand when people abuse their power. I almost never read rules because in my opinion most are pointless. Lol I don't know its just my weird opinion. I was raised to question everything especially authority. If you don't respect me and come off all high and mighty I won't respect you. Anyone else like that?

Sorry im just bored not to ruffle feathers.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know...I respect those who are above me; seriously. If I can't respect my leaders, I am no better than those who are rule breakers. Respect is two fold. Rules are often there for your safety too, not just to 'annoy' you. I am a Youth Pastor, yes, but I had alot of respect for people WAY before I graduated with my degree. I don't like when people abuse their authority, no...and I will say something to whoever I need to, in order to get things settled; or I will talk to that person myself...rather than simply sit and let my frustration grow. 'Talk to people, not about them' is my motto; and that takes alot of respect and humility!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyCatsWSQ

Yup I do and have always been this way. I don't hate it enough to get fired but I can't stand when people abuse their power. I almost never read rules because in my opinion most are pointless. Lol I don't know its just my weird opinion. I was raised to question everything especially authority. If you don't respect me and come off all high and mighty I won't respect you. Anyone else like that?

But, how can you question authority if you don't what what their rules are? I agree some rules definitely ARE stupid and make no sense, but if you don't read them, how do you know if they make sense or not?

Some rules DO make sense. And the bottom line is, if you show disrespect to someone in authority just because they are in "authority" then you could get in big trouble, either at work, or just in life in general. I understand questioning and challenging the rules, but you have to know them to begin with.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

How do you know that the rules are pointless if you don't read them? And how can you question authority if you don't listen?

Just wondering.
faster that way

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't respect my father, or look to him as a leader. But i am adult enough to 'obey the rules' of the house (even though it's actually mums hard work and money that bought the house, and pays for the clothes on his back).

I used to work at ALOT of Christian based op-shops, and in the end i always clashed with the manager. I did alot of hard work and did as i was told, but i found the managers to be very disrespectful to me and used my free time to their advantage. I was there because i wanted to help, not because i was forced to volunteer. They seem to think when they have a bad day that they can push other people around and make them feel useless.

Just because someone is older than me, it does not automatically make them my elder or authorative. I will NOT have an elderly person abuse me at a bus depot because i'm sitting on the wrong side of the seat! (one side buses, one side for taxis, completely empty and i didn't want to sit in the sun). This silly man assumed that because he was older than me, that he could lecture me and call me 'missy' and 'young lady'. I hate people like that. I am an adult. And if you treat me as such, then i will treat you equally.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job out of grad school was with Price Waterhouse in Boston. I was the only woman in the consulting side. Talk about rules? I was taught that I wore the correct clothing but do not forget to put your jacket on when you went to the bathroom because there could be clients on site.
A senior manager, Dick, took me to a client. He told me not to say anything, just listen and take notes. I did. On the way back to the office, he told me I did good. The next time we went to the client, he told me that I could talk to the client if I had something valuable to say. I said one thing which was right on the mark. After that, Dick told me that I could say whatever would be in the client's best interest.
Dick taught me the rules and to this day he is the best supervisor I have ever had the pleasure to work with.
So rules can help your career and also your self esteem.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rules are established so that there isn't total anarchy in the workplace. For example, it may seem "silly" to some that there is a rule against interoffice relationships, however if there was no such rule, how would you feel if the only reason why you were waiting for your boss to open the door is due to the fact that he and his secretary were having "ways"...heck what if he even opened the door.

If you sit down and read the rules and your management staff isn't following it, that's a violation of the company policy. So perhaps you would have better respect for your management staff if they were following the rules.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Respect goes both ways and I totally agree with that..

But..can you imagine what it would be like if there weren't rules? On the roads for example...I'll tell you one thing..I would NOT be driving

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

were waiting for your boss to open the door is due to the fact that he and his secretary were having "ways"...heck what if he even opened the door.

what are ways?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the

I have always been that way too. I can't stand hierarchies, no matter what end I'm at. I work well with others as long as the relationship is egalitarian. However, I do have respect for people with more experience than me and will gladly take their advice. Luckily, that's the way it's been with my university profs. They never made me feel that I had to do things their way because they were above me. They let me find my own way, but are always there for guidance when I need it. Basically, they are just more experienced students to me.

I also don't like rules because I resent the idea that I need them, or a fear of punishment, to behave properly. Isn't it more productive to encourage people to be compassionate and considerate towards others rather than setting lots of rules in the hopes that they will follow them?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a healthy amount of Distrust in authority but I do not hate rules. I abide by them and know them well. After all, you can't find loopholes if you don't know the rules.
My respect for rules has gotten moreso as I get older... It's harder to fight against 'the man' when you sometimes kinda ARE the man...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well unless you can run a business for yourself, or work at home where you are the boss, you'd better bite the bullet and start respecting authority!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rules and authority are there for a reason, without them society would fall into anarchy. The only time I have a problem with authority is when it's being abused (which is pretty much why I can't stand the elected folks in D.C.
).

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Rules and authority are there for a reason, without them society would fall into anarchy. The only time I have a problem with authority is when it's being abused (which is pretty much why I can't stand the elected folks in D.C.
).
If there were no rules. our society couldn't work. If you disagree with the rules, try and change them.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

If there were no rules. our society couldn't work. If you disagree with the rules, try and change them.
Couldn't agree more.

Any law students in the house? After reading this thread I was wondering how much studying there is of the Ancient Roman Legal system since it had such a huge effect on the basis of laws for a very long time- especially in Western Europe- until around the 18th century.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well unless you can run a business for yourself, or work at home where you are the boss, you'd better bite the bullet and start respecting authority!
Like I said I have two jobs that I have had no problem keeping. So im fine.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm... Makes me think that because you were allowed to "cuss" around your parents that it taught you to not respect authority? Your Parents = Authority?...

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That's right
I mean, one of the rules in EVERY workplace is no sexual harrassment, would you be happy if someone broke this rule against you?

I have a feeling this is gonna end up in IMO