Not a cat but I need help please.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my co-workers decided to dump her rabbit in my yard because she didn't want to take care of him anymore. I am really worried about the little guy because I saw him yesterday but I couldn't catch him and I have some cats that hang out around my house. I put a couple of traps out to get him and caught a cat last night instead. Of course, as my luck would have it, the cat I caught was my neighbors already spayed cat and not one of the ferals in the area. (if it had been a feral, I would have taken it to my vet to be checked out and fixed). Can you guys think of any way that I can make a safe haven for the bunny that the cats couldn't get into?

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor bunny -- I don't really know.. but maybe if you could get his cage from your co-worker he would be attracted to it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tell your co-worker to get back the rabbit and place it in a safer place or provide the enclosure for it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Tell your co-worker to get back the rabbit and place it in a safer place or provide the enclosure for it.
No kidding. That was pretty rude. This is not meant to scare. I witnessed a small feral cat (probably 7 pounds) catch a bunny one time. The bunny will lose.

Try the trap again but I have no idea on what to recommend as bate. Perhaps someone here knows of good rabbit bate?

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just not right!
Poor bun!! A house rabbit won't have much chance of survival outside on it's own.

I agree about getting the bunny's cage and setting it out.

I'd also contact the local humane society and report the person for animal cruelty.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

This poor little bunny will not survive outside, dogs , cats, owls. eagles, there are a lot of predators that would love to get him. Your co-worker needs to take responsibilty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to some of the neighbors. One of them saw him at around four o clock so I know he was still around then. They let me set up another trap over there and a few of the other neighbors are on the lookout for him and will call me if they spot him. I rigged up the shelter I made for him so that it is attached to the other trap and loaded both traps with lots of smelly bunny bait (cilantro and other smelly herbs they like to eat) so I am hoping that he will wander into the trap tonight.

Any spare vibes you could send this way for a safe capture would be greatly appreciated.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bah I was ignoring this thread on RO because it's making my blood boil. You tricked me *pouts* That lady needs to meet my 2 fists...really.

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bunnies go crazy for Bananas. I would get a humane trap baited with alfalfa hay and some bananas, you should catch a bunny that way in no time.
wow, what an inconsiderate coworker! Poor bunbun, hopefully he wont get swooped up by a hawk

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got him!!
My neighbor Tiffany just called me. Sometime between when I left for work about an hour and a half ago and now, he wandered into the trap! She has him at her house and is already calling a vet to set up a check up just in case. I know she said he seemed kind of scared but other then that he seems ok. I will let you know when I find out anything else.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you caught the poor thing! What an awful thing to do. Does the bunbun have a new home?

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually think my neighbor might keep him. She used to have rabbits and when I was talking to her yesterday she asked me if she could adopt him if we were able to catch him. She is taking him to the vet to get checked out right now actually.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed all the excitement - but WHAT a horrible thing for your co-worker to do! My God - she couldn't have asked around - or even asked you - first? I know you have to work with her - but I'd try to figure out a way to say something so she doesn't ever do anything like that again. How horrible!

But I'm so glad it's looking like there's a happy ending! We had friend that had a bunny - just let it run around the house - and a cat, and a parrot! The bunny and the kitty were good friends and cuddled together - and the parrot taunted them both.

Keep us posted, please?

Laurie