Is it just me.... (mini rant)

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or does everyone here absolutely hate Windows Vista? I've never had so many problems with an operating system. A computer is not supposed to crash 38 times in 110 seconds when trying to open the start menu. Nor is it supposed to restrict access to an internet browser and tell you there is a problem with your network connection, when clearly there isn't because my MSN messenger is still working just fine. And the only way I've found to fix this little problem is to click the reload button 10 billion times so the state-of-the-art mouse I have, that is supposed to last for 10 years without any problems won't last 10 months. Either click and get a new mouse every year or wait for 3 days for Vista to update.

Sorry for the random post and mini rant. I'm just a little frustrated and tired right now.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a big part of why my hisband told me to buy a Mac when I was ready for a new laptop. From everything I've heard I made the right choice.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband likes Vista, but you have to understand that he games as his prime form of entertainment. So we got it because it allowed him to get access to Direct X 10. It does what he wants it to do and he's happy about it. He's also spent roughly $1500.00 and built a new computer in the last month, so all of the hardware is optimized for Vista.

I can totally understand your frustration. Microsoft didn't do the best job in making it compatible with all the existing computers that are out there.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're passing on the upgrades until they improve it....and I get major discounts being a student, but its a no go until the fix the bugs...

My uncle is computer savvy and has it on all their computers and hasn't had any trouble and likes it a lot....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vista isn't that bad for me....but I HATE the fact that internet is slower on Vista than it is with the older computer & XP!!!

robertb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a serious resource hog too, so you need to make sure you give it lots of RAM to work with. You want 2GB or it's just dog slow. There are still many incompatibilities to be worked out. The early-adopter advantage simply does not exist for computer technology.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I've got Windows Vista on my laptop and *touches wood* i've had no problems?.
Same here!

Only had problems with the old XP in the office but it does drive you nuts when they go wrong!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

My husband likes Vista, but you have to understand that he games as his prime form of entertainment. So we got it because it allowed him to get access to Direct X 10. It does what he wants it to do and he's happy about it. He's also spent roughly $1500.00 and built a new computer in the last month, so all of the hardware is optimized for Vista.

I can totally understand your frustration. Microsoft didn't do the best job in making it compatible with all the existing computers that are out there.
Oh absolutely vista is great for games but from a student's point of view, it is awful. I have seen a list of all the problems that have been encountered while using vista (all major manufacturers of almost anything have to send a list to the patent office and other places of all problems encountered while the product is in use) and this one is currently about 15 pages long, with size eight font, single spaced. The only one I have seen that is longer is the list of problems with General Motors. It's incredible that they were able to get vista approved and released. I'm tempted to just wipe my hard drive clean and go back to XP because compared to vista (IMO) XP is all but flawless.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Oh absolutely vista is great for games but from a student's point of view, it is awful. I have seen a list of all the problems that have been encountered while using vista (all major manufacturers of almost anything have to send a list to the patent office and other places of all problems encountered while the product is in use) and this one is currently about 15 pages long, with size eight font, single spaced. The only one I have seen that is longer is the list of problems with General Motors. It's incredible that they were able to get vista approved and released. I'm tempted to just wipe my hard drive clean and go back to XP because compared to vista (IMO) XP is all but flawless.
I would if I were you. Just back up your data, wait for Vista to get all the kinks out, and use XP until then.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience with Microsoft, they tend to put less "effort" into home systems than they do business systems, which is what I'm assuming you got.

Vista IS a resource hog, like many have mentioned. If bought the cheapest computer out there, more than likely it's got them minimum requirements for Vista (i.e. 512 MB of RAM) which will definitely make it seem "buggy" however its just running on the minimum amount needed. Recommended in 1 GB, the strongly encouraged is 2 GB of RAM.

Here's two articles that might help you:
12 Windows Vista Tweaks to boost your computers Performance (about 9 pages or so)

...and if all else fails:

How to downgrade to Windows XP

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"ve had vista since it first came out. It was a real pain in the beginning, but I love it now.

Of course I did just spend 2 hours on sunday with tech support, but that was with norton antivirus, who set up my computer to block the msn startup programs, which norton detects as a virus?

Msn tec support is the worst, I am still waiting for the "wink wink" call back. He is never going to call back, but it is ok cause norton fixed it.

Anyhoo, you should not be having these problems, call vista/msn tech support, and they will help you just before you are ready to pull your hair out.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

This is a big part of why my hisband told me to buy a Mac when I was ready for a new laptop. From everything I've heard I made the right choice.
that's what i did, too... of course i'm a mac user from way back, anyway...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've had no problems with it either, it's only on my laptop, because i can't be bothered with putting it on my pc yet! i should do, as i find i have more problems with XP if anything

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am kind of on the fence on this one...Lol! I really liked XP...

Vista has been a pain for us, especially when installing new programs; we've had to reinstall several times...I hate that when I have to do that. And some of the programs\\drivers we had to get upgrades, or couldn't find for the Vista....accckkk...Oh well...so far, now that everything is working, it is working 'okay'...knock on wood! Haha

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*knocks on wood* Currently I'm running Vista on a not quite $400 laptop that I got from Walmart, and have had no problems with anything, aside from trying to network it to a very old win 98 version desktop, but then, I have been known to have trouble networking two computers of the same vintage too, lol!!!