How Can I Get Him To Enjoy It?

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So since my uncle never really brushed Quincy he is not used to it. I try everyday to give him a good brushing but its a chore. He wiggles and runs away
. I try and make it positive by scratching his chin (which he melts for) and talking to him. But especially if I try to brush his chest or back legs he wants none of it. I don't want him to veiw being brushed as a bad thing. So any tips would be great. Since he is a Persian I would love to brush him everyday.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you understand that Quincy needs to be groomed regularly!
Combs work much better then brushes. Especially on long haired cats. I use a medium tooth comb and a fine tooth comb on my Persian's. I also use the Furminator, which is a deshedding tool. Keeping Quincy well groomed will help to avoid painful mats in his fur. Unfortunately, daily grooming is necessary even if Quincy doesn't enjoy it. But one thing you can do to try to get him to tolerate it more is use treats as a reward. And be patient! It doesn't work over night! Regular baths also help keep a Persian mat free. Every 2-4 weeks is good enough for a non-show cat. But always make sure you have all mats combed out before bathing or the mats will get worse/tighter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When people talk about "brush" - I'm not picturing a comb. Longhairs should be groomed with a comb - not a brush. Combs do a better job. First you have to NOT make it a game. Train him to sit or stand still (slowly) when being groomed. You should find a small table that is comfortable for you to stand by and comb him on it. Start with the head/neck and work towards the back.

YOU be in charge - not the cat. When he acts up, stop for a min and tell him NO or STAND STILL or something to get his focus back. You might need 2 people - one to hold him still while you comb.

It will take time if he's never really been groomed much, but if you keep the sessions short and often, he should eventually be more cooperative. Most cats don't like the back legs or belly down, so you have to just keep working with him but make him behave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks you two that helps alot. I will have to go out and buy a comb for him today.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyCatsWSQ

So since my uncle never really brushed Quincy he is not used to it. I try everyday to give him a good brushing but its a chore. He wiggles and runs away
. I try and make it positive by scratching his chin (which he melts for) and talking to him. But especially if I try to brush his chest or back legs he wants none of it. I don't want him to veiw being brushed as a bad thing. So any tips would be great. Since he is a Persian I would love to brush him everyday.
I got Persi when he was only seven weeks old. I started combing him right away so he would get used to it and when I was done I would give him some Pounces. He started associating being brushed with getting the Pounces. Now when I call him to be combed he jumps up on the wash where I comb him because he knows he is going to get a treat when the combing is done.