Cat trees--what things do your cats like most?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I am in the process of designing a cat tree for my 6 month old kitten Jack. He is very energetic, likes to hide, likes to climb etc.

I have looked through hundreds of pictures of cat trees but I am curious what parts of the cat tree your cats like best?

I have never owned a cat before Jack so I am clueless as to what they might like.

I'll take any suggestions--if you have to post a picture to show me--go for it!

Thanks

Leslie and Jack

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is my cat tree. The kitten LOVES the house, but the other cats have never touched it. The high platforms are very popular for sleeping, and my cats stopped using every other scratching post in the house when I purchased it, they particularly love the sissel rope.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie loves the top with the circle shelf that looks like a donut bed - its about 3 - 4 inches keep. He likes hanging over the edge and looking down.

I think the ones that have the little ladder at the bottom to go up on the shelves are pretty cool. And they love ones with tunnels built in.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

So I am in the process of designing a cat tree for my 6 month old kitten Jack. He is very energetic, likes to hide, likes to climb etc.

I have looked through hundreds of pictures of cat trees but I am curious what parts of the cat tree your cats like best?

I have never owned a cat before Jack so I am clueless as to what they might like.

I'll take any suggestions--if you have to post a picture to show me--go for it!

Thanks

Leslie and Jack
I'm unusual that I do not mind Persi (Alley does not do it) climbing on anything he wants to. I do not mind him jumping on the counter to get to the top of the fridge, etc. Since I hold this unusual opinion, I have never thought about getting a cat tree because there are all kinds of things in the house to climb on and since I consider my cats cleaner than I am, I just don't mind!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my home, HEIGHT is what matters. I have 4 cat condos and one floor-to-ceiling tower, and they all go for the TOP of each of them.

Sisal wrapped posts for scratching, platforms that are big enough to roll in catnip on, and being way up high - that's my crew's wish list.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat tree has a basket on the top, my guys LOVE it, they share it, I will find two of them snuggled together, and when the foster babies were here they would climb up and lay on top of whomever was in the basket already.

They love the sisel rope posts for scratching, and they love height.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d be interested in hearing what kind of details on the trees have worked too. We are finally getting to the point with house renovations that we might be able to find a spot for a tree! Not to high-jack the original question – but are there some features that kittens vs older cats like better or is it just individual?

The thoughts I have had is the height – my boys would definitely be looking for the height no doubt. Another is that they are real losers when they snooze – itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not once that someone has about fallen off the couch, not a graceful feline scramble to witness. I would look for a tree where the top shelves have edges because no doubt the worst snoozer would go falling off the top right away. Also, my cats like to sleep together and I am wondering which company might make models that would have room on top for bigger cats to snooze together without the whole tree toppling over because of being top-heavy? Some local shop models appear awfully tipsy. I can imagine what would happen to those ones when a real chase involving the tree happens too!

Sisal rope scratch boards are hot item – but they get destroyed pretty quickly. Are they any better made in the cat trees/which ones? Would hate the tree looking like our boards in two weeks…

P.S. We considered building our own too. If anyone has workable prints and is willing to share that would be great.

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lily loves the little houses on the top. Since I dont have a cat tree (cant afford one) I only know this because thats what she likes when we got to the pet stores. I think she also likes the spiral stairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks guys, that all helps.

I have a quick question. How are your posts secured together---like you have a pole, than a flat surface, then a pole directly on top of the other pole. Does that make sense? How is that connected?

I attached a photo because I realized just reading it doesn't make sense. Look inside where I circled.

Thanks
Leslie

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aside from what everyone else has already said, my kitties have always LOVED the 45 degree angle (or so) board between the base and main post....great for leverage and scratching, and hiding cat candies under!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have one but I think that Chloe would like the scratching sisel, those hanging basket things, and maybe a feather or ball hanging from somewhere. Mattie would like a hidey tunnel thing to sleep in.

Does anyone have a rustic cat tree? I love the way those look. I also love the Lotus cat tree and the TrendyCat cat towers.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing my cats don't like is the hammock on one of the trees, they'll climb over it but that's it. Ana did sleep in there once or twice but I don't think the boys have ever been in it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

thanks guys, that all helps.

I have a quick question. How are your posts secured together---like you have a pole, than a flat surface, then a pole directly on top of the other pole. Does that make sense? How is that connected?

I attached a photo because I realized just reading it doesn't make sense. Look inside where I circled.

Thanks
Leslie
Those areas had a double ended screw that went through a hole in the flat board and screwed into both posts.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

He goes straight to the top perch and lays on it all the time.
I think this is gonna be IT. And then there will be a tiff when everyone cannot snooze on the highest spot. Anyone know a good tree where 3 cats (2 plump and 1 skinny) can fit on the top slot
?

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats love the TOP platform
They do use other levels and the cat house but the top is really where it's at. (It's funny to see them both squeeze into it together to snooze.) If you are designing your own gym, make sure your top platform is roomy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips guys!

I started on the tree tonight. I need to make some more decisions on how to finish it. Right now it is just four posts with a platform on top of each.

I'll post pictures when I get done. So far total cost $27

Leslie

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking forward to seeing what you create
My two really enjoy the top part of their tree. Dangling ropes are dun to play with and, of course, sisal or wood to scratch. Have fun!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion they don't like things that move when they wanna lay in them.
They DO like things they can climb to the top and lay in or that leads them somewhere else.