Should I buy my Mom's house?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok, the background:

DH and I bought our house 3 years ago. We don't have much equity in it yet, and weren't able to put down 20% for a downpayment, also. However, we've done lots of improvements that should add value; jowever, the housing market is bad now. We paid $230,000 for the house.

Mom put her house up for sale in the Summer; she's had at least 3 (I think 4) offers, that have fallen through; the most recent being this week--she was to make settlement on Thursday; the woman had lied about her recent foreclosure, so the deal is off--nobody will loan her mortgage money. Mom's asking $200,000; mostly for the land (1.25 acres). The house is disgusting--old, shabby, and mostly smelly (Mom's a heavy smoker, and her cat left her mark, etc.). It really should be torn down, an a new one built in its place. DH and I were hoping to buy out my 3 brothers when Mom died, and build a new house there--we both love the land; it would be a lot closer to work for us, especially DH (A 14-15 mile commute, as opposed to a 21 mile one). I'd be 2.5 miles from work again, instead of 10; plus, all the stores we use are right down the road; less than a mile in some cases. Also, we now only have .13 of an acre; I hate being so close to the neighbors, nice though they are. I lived in Mom's house until 4 years ago; all of my life. I LOVE the land there--I have so many happy memories--and did a lot of the landscaping. I really want a big vegetable garden, something I can't do here (our backyard is about 15 ft deep at the most). It's quiet there--the side neighbors are pretty far away; nobody is in the back--that field is bordered by a cow pasture on 2 sides. I really miss it there. I know I'll never be able to afford a house with more land around here.

I just don't know if we can afford to do this. I was thinking of asking Mom to lop off my potential $50,000 inheritance, and lower the house price. (BTW, she moved in with my brother, who built an in-law suite--his share of his inheritance up front, plus the extra $$ for building. ). Also, the house does not have public water; it has a well, and the water pressure is bad. And I know, when you contract something out, you need to add 20% extra in the budget to cover "ooops" stuff you didn't plan on.

Am I crazy????

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's an investment and I think you should do it because from everything you said, it has meaning to you, plus it's your one chance to get land that you want. You can always fix it up over the years, and eventually rebuild. But you won't have that option if someone else buys it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Linda,

Thanks for your response!

The only problems are:

When I go into the house, even 2 months after Mom moved out, the smoke smell really kicks up my coughing and sneezing--I can't stay inside it too long--it's that bad. I've been in several times recently, to remove belongings (many of whihc I had to trash, as I couldn't remove the smoke smell). I really couldn't live in the house; it would have to go. I don't think we could eradicate the odor. Also, it's half the size of our current house, and we have 9 cats. (And there's not even a basement to put the litter boxes in).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your response!

The only problems are:

When I go into the house, even 2 months after Mom moved out, the smoke smell really kicks up my coughing and sneezing--I can't stay inside it too long--it's that bad. I've been in several times recently, to remove belongings (many of whihc I had to trash, as I couldn't remove the smoke smell). I really couldn't live in the house; it would have to go. I don't think we could eradicate the odor. Also, it's half the size of our current house, and we have 9 cats. (And there's not even a basement to put the litter boxes in).
What about selling your home, buying her home, living in a trailor on the land and renovating the house?

So you live in a smaller place for awhile, but in the end you get what you want

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to figure out how much it would take money wise to redo and repair the house to see if its really worth it. With so many houses in foreclosure, its more beneficial to a buyer now, then to the seller.