TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Drinkwell Fountain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Drinkwell Fountain

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Has anyone purchased the newer model of the Drinkwell fountain, the Platinum one? If so, how is it?
post #2 of 17
I have not - I have three of the older ones - but I have read a bunch of consumer reviews on the Platinum, and the concensus was that they are much harder to clean than the original, so I'm sticking with the original ones.
post #3 of 17
I got the original....mostly because of cost. I couldn't see enough difference between the two fountains to justify paying so much more.
post #4 of 17
Yes and I love it! I had the petmate fountain prior to the Drinkwell and it lasted about two years before the motor started to go out. We've had the Drinkwell for several months now and LOVE IT! The reservoir is much larger, meaning we have to fill it less often for the boys, and Oscar loves it better than the other. He's a faucet-loving kitty, so it's perfect for him.

If you have any specific questions about it, I'll be glad to answer them.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz4Life View Post
I don't know about the platinum one but darker colored Petmate water fountains tend to get dirty easily. We bought a blue one many years back & over the years, we couldn't get the white stuff off no matter what we tried. We chose to buy the white one - haven't seen any discoloration since

Hope you find a petmate water fountain that you & your cat like
Uhm...

Drinkwell and Petmate are two completely different style fountains - she was asking about the Drinkwell Platinum, not a Petmate.
post #6 of 17
I have a Drinkwell Platinum and the cats and I love it.

I've tried Drinkwell original and was always happy with it so it was pretty much a given for me to try the platinum. I have also used the PetMate Fresh Flow and the CatIt fountains and ended up giving both away because I prefer the Drinkwells. The platinum I bought needed a bad motor replaced within the first two months and they were very friendly and prompt in sending a replacement so the company offers good service too.

In regards to cleaning, I find the fountains clean up best in the dishwasher.

Good luck in finding the fountain you and your cats will love.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
In regards to cleaning, I find the fountains clean up best in the dishwasher.

Good luck in finding the fountain you and your cats will love.
That was the aspect that sold me on the platinum...all the pieces are dishwasher safe (excluding the motor, of course).
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
Yes and I love it! I had the petmate fountain prior to the Drinkwell and it lasted about two years before the motor started to go out. We've had the Drinkwell for several months now and LOVE IT! The reservoir is much larger, meaning we have to fill it less often for the boys, and Oscar loves it better than the other. He's a faucet-loving kitty, so it's perfect for him.

If you have any specific questions about it, I'll be glad to answer them.
What I'm wondering is how high, from the floor, is the spout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
Uhm...


Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
I have a Drinkwell Platinum and the cats and I love it.

I've tried Drinkwell original and was always happy with it so it was pretty much a given for me to try the platinum. I have also used the PetMate Fresh Flow and the CatIt fountains and ended up giving both away because I prefer the Drinkwells. The platinum I bought needed a bad motor replaced within the first two months and they were very friendly and prompt in sending a replacement so the company offers good service too.

In regards to cleaning, I find the fountains clean up best in the dishwasher.

Good luck in finding the fountain you and your cats will love.
What is the difference in height from the floor to the spout on both the original model and the platinum model? That number may well determine which one I get. I don't want it to be too difficult for Bella to drink....and my guess is that she will drink from the spout. The platinum one looks like it is a bit higher than the original model. I already have a Petmate fountain. Unfortunately, Bella does not seem to like to drink from it much. She prefers drinking from the faucet, which is why I'm looking into getting a drinkwell. My other cats drink from the Petmate, but Bella doesn't seem to care for it.

Unfortunately, I am the diswasher.....so all the cleaning is dependent upon me.

It's 25% off at Drs. Foster & Smith right now....so it would just be $60 instead of $80.
post #9 of 17
I'm not at home right now to measure, but the total height of the platinum is around 10 inches. If Bella likes to drink from the spout, I don't think she'll have trouble, but I'm not her meowmy.
post #10 of 17
I was going to buy one after seeing them online but then I saw how big they are in person and changed my mind. Plus, I like my Petmate fountain because the water flows down a ramp (Matilda is kind of timid and I think she would prefer this over the fountains like the Drinkwell ones that have water falling like a faucet).
post #11 of 17
Me again.

The original is lower to the ground than the Platinum - the spout is at standard cat mouth height. Roughly 6-7 inches from the floor.

The reason I got the Drinkwell to begin with was to keep my Ginger out of the bathroom sink - she REFUSED to drink from a regular bowl.

All my cats LOVE the fountain, my former feral, Ferris, especially - he'll sit by it and watch it run for HOURS.

Best of all, I love the fact that I KNOW they are staying hydrated.

Oh, and by the way - I don't have a dishwasher, so that's another reason I am staying away from the more expensive model. I have to take mine apart and wash it by hand, so the "dishwasher safe" thing means nothing to me.

I loved my first Drinkwell so much that I bought two additional ones. Bought them all on eBay and paid less (including shipping) than the retail.
post #12 of 17
We have an Original Drinkwell. Based on what people are saying about the height we probably won't get the Platinum. As it is I'm thinking of getting a Freshflow fountain again. Nabu and Stimpy don't seem very excited about the Drinkwell. Raven was the one who liked it so much.
post #13 of 17
As far as being dishwasher safe, the original Drinkwell is also dishwasher safer EXCEPT the plastic reservoir that you add on to the back if you choose to use one. (I know because I melted one in my dishwasher on the top rack.)

I got my platinum for $50.25 at http://happypetshappypeople.com last April. It might be good to check them out.
post #14 of 17
I just got the Drinkwell Platinum for Nova and she loves it. Although, she seems to like to play in too.
post #15 of 17
don't have a platinum. i have an original drinkwell & 2 of the petmates [plus a catit we don't use]. Pixel really likes the drinkwell - usually drinks from a sitting position from the spout. she's the only one i've seen use it. but since she's one of the 'dry only' cats, i'm glad she likes it.
post #16 of 17
i had a Drinkwell original for my diabetic kitty, he LOVED it

dont know anything about the new one

i like the idea of the one that grows kitty grass next to it, is that a drinkwell or another brand?
post #17 of 17
I have the platinum and I love it. I bought it after my Henry was diagnosed with a UTI. He hasn't had one since, and all the cats are drinking more. I'm going to buy another one, but probably just the regular size, for upstairs. But if I can find another platinum for a good price, I'd rather have that. And I put everything except the motor in the dishwasher and I haven't destroyed anything yet. And it gets really clean, way cleaner than hand washing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Drinkwell Fountain