Moving Advice????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's official! As of today we got our new house
We move in 72 hours!
I have some of our house packed up already, but a few things left to do. Our new house is only about two minutes down the road from our home we're in now- so i'm planning to just drive some stuff over instead of packing up everything and having to undo it all.

All my boxes are clearly labeled and will go straight into the room they need to be in when i get them there. My sister and her family are moving into the house we're in now (renting from us for about a year and then buying it). So time isn't that massive of a concern.

Any ideas/tips on moving???? We've got 4 cats and 2 dogs to move to the new place as well and i want to make it as low stress on them as i can. I was thinking about getting some feliway spray to put in the new house. i will be moving the animals in very last (while we're moving out of the house we're in now they're all going to be put in one room so they can't get out.

Any other advice though???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The labeling of the boxes and putting them in the room where they would go is a BIG help

I'd also put the animals in a room that is not being used much and keeping the door closed until you have everything in the house. That way, the animals are not in the way of anyone and you don't have to worry about any escapes.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Well, it's official! As of today we got our new house
We move in 72 hours!
I have some of our house packed up already, but a few things left to do. Our new house is only about two minutes down the road from our home we're in now- so i'm planning to just drive some stuff over instead of packing up everything and having to undo it all.

All my boxes are clearly labeled and will go straight into the room they need to be in when i get them there. My sister and her family are moving into the house we're in now (renting from us for about a year and then buying it). So time isn't that massive of a concern.

Any ideas/tips on moving???? We've got 4 cats and 2 dogs to move to the new place as well and i want to make it as low stress on them as i can. I was thinking about getting some feliway spray to put in the new house. i will be moving the animals in very last (while we're moving out of the house we're in now they're all going to be put in one room so they can't get out.

Any other advice though???
As crazy as it sounds, move the big stuff first
Dressers, couches, beds, entertainment center... That way you don't have to move the boxes twice when bringing in the furniture
and you can just put the boxes on top of the furniture where it is going to be unpacked.

Trust me, I made the mistake of doing it the other way around and it was such a hassle

I had to move the boxes 2 times to get the furniture in

It also helps the critters get more familiar with thier surroundings. They can smell thier scent on the furniture and they can't really through the boxes

Im going to be moving AGAIN in 10 days and that's how I'm going to do it

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hm, take the cats, the dogs, TV, and computer.
leave everything else there.

more easy that way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the advice everyone!!!
I really appreciate it! This is my first huge move in a long time so all of the advice is definitely helpful

I've got a huge part of the kitchen packed up now (been working steadily on that all night) and i still have a lot left to pack.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh! What a chore, huh? Well, this last time when I moved (i'm soooo hoping it's my LAST!) I labeled the boxes on which rooms they belong. It helped me alot once I began unpacking.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if your new house is only 2 minutes away, why don't you take the dogs for a walk over there instead of driving them?

The cats will be stressed once you start to take things apart, so keep plenty of catnip on hand...then they just think it was one bad trip

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Well if your new house is only 2 minutes away, why don't you take the dogs for a walk over there instead of driving them?

The cats will be stressed once you start to take things apart, so keep plenty of catnip on hand...then they just think it was one bad trip