Stubborn Cat

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok here's the story:

I just decided to adopt my first cat after moving into the big city. After cat proofing my apartment and getting all the essetial cat stuff i went and adopted a 2 year old male kitty. He supposidly came from a good home and spent very little time in the shelter. In addition he was fixed and all his shots were up to date. So I brought him home to my place and set the carrier down in the living room. Silly me, I should of put him in my bedroom and let that be his safe room. So in the middle of the night i heard some loud scurrying. I immediatly woke up and started looking for him. I could not find him, until I noticed a small hole which lead up to a small area above the ceiling( i have no idea how he got up there). the area is very small vertically but very long horizintally.

About 300 cm high and 3 meters long....i can barley stick my head in to see him with a flashlight....

I 'm pretty sure he can come down again there are some small platforms he can probably jump down to to come back to the living area.

He's been up there for about 5 days now. I put food and water close as a i can to him (in the living area) but he's not eating or drinking it.

I'm kinda worried he'll starve himself to death out of fear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
my kitty is here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My living area is down here

Thanks for your help.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you called your landlord? After 5 days, I would be cutting a hole in the ceiling to physically remove him. Cats can't go long periods without food - they have very sensitive livers and can go into liver failure.

The basic problem is that you haven't had enough time with him to bond with him, therefore he isn't going to come to you if you try to coax him out. I think you're going to have to take him out of there.

Keep us posted?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I talked to my landlord and I don't think he's willing to put a hole in the wall to get him out. And I that will probably frighten the heck out of him and will probably go in even deeper not the mention the danger of one of those sharp cutting tools poking him. I tried putting some fancy feast on the platform before i left for work and i came back and it was all dried out on not even one bite eaten. I did put some dry food and water up there before i left today and my roommate says he's eaten some of it and drank some water so that's a relief. Of course he's probably doing his toilet stuff up there too
I don't know what to do next. I'm afraid if i just leave food and water up there he'll stay up there forever.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have Kentucky Fried Chicken's up there by chance? Cats are drawn to it for some odd reason. If you have it, get original recipe and remove the skin and bones. If you don't have that, get stinky canned food - most of the fishy ones have the strongest scents.

Put some as close to the opening as you can to get him to that point. Is there a way to rig up some type of steps or ramp out of the hole in the ceiling? You are right - if you feed him up there he might stay up there forever. But if you can feed him closer to the opening, then work him further and further into your apartment, that might work.

Once he is out, have something ready to plug up that hole, even if it is a big sheet of cardboard and duct tape. Then demand that the landlord seals it permanently.

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try the KFC trick, sounds promising and I'll pick up a can of tuna. I'm willing to try anything.

Are the things like cat pheromones that can lure cats out or am I dreaming in HiDef.

Thanks for your help guys!

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i've done pretty much verything you guys have told me to do minus cutting a hole into the wall. The exit of that hole is a kitty's heaven albacore tuna, catnip, purina temptations even cat pheramons i'll i can do now is play the waiting game.

Oh and the toronto humane society recomend i drop some flower extract called rescue remedy in his food.

And if all those things do not work i'll have to put a sedative in his food and then take him out.

man i'm so anxious, they told me to calm down cats can sense my discomfort

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
think pictures would be best

[/img]

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rescue Remedy in the water might be a good idea, except if you put too many drops in he might get diarreah. Even if you put a sedative in the food and take him out, how are you going to fit to get him out?

Poor guy, he must be so scared!

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
nope i tried coaxing him out, but he wont budge, i put the food out so i hope he comes out for it...i'm gonna try coaxing him some more later

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The humane society here has this huge tool thing they use to move or lift animals they can't touch. It would scare the crap out of him, but at least you could get him out. Does anyone know what I am talkin about? They are used on Animal Cops and those animal rescue shows on tv. They are like huge tongs or grabbers. Usually they are used on moving feral cats. They can be grabbed around the neck or waist. It doesn't hurt them.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My gosh, something needs to be done. Have you tried human tuna? Hitting on the part of the ceiling that he is above? (maybe it would scare him into running closer to the hole)

The kitty is cute. Poor thing. Is he peeing and pooping up there?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

The humane society here has this huge tool thing they use to move or lift animals they can't touch. It would scare the crap out of him, but at least you could get him out. Does anyone know what I am talkin about? They are used on Animal Cops and those animal rescue shows on tv. They are like huge tongs or grabbers. Usually they are used on moving feral cats. They can be grabbed around the neck or waist. It doesn't hurt them.
that is a great idea! I hope the humane society where they are has one. I would also try calling your animal control because they might have advice or experience with something like this.

In the picture I just see dry food, I would try something like human tuna like someone else suggested. I just don't think coaxing is going to work, it's a scared cat. I would put water in there as far as possible but would put stinky smelly tuna as close as you can to where the cat would get out.

I don't know, I also say screw the landlord and make a tiny hole that you can stick something up there through, like a coat hanger. You could maybe have a friend try to push the kitty out with the coat hanger? Gosh that sounds so awful, I'm just really at a loss as to what to recommend trying. You could patch the hole up later.

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried putting tuna up there he just doesn't eat it he only goes for the kibble.

I'm trying fancy feast right now hope that peeks his interest.

And yes he is peeing up there, he hasn't used the litter yet.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the picture it looked like he was backed into a corner? Is the only way out the hole? If it is you might be able to get a catch pole up there. (that might be what Jen was talking about) I'd call animal reascue or a HSO to come do it though as they are typically trained to use a catch pole. It will scare the snot out of him but it's won't hurt him.

You might also mention to your land lord that this cat hasn't come down in days and has to be eliminating his waste somewhere. The longer he's up there the more waste there will be.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought about the version of that tool that has a slip noose on the end and didn't suggest it. But the ones with the tongs are on long poles and can reach, if the hole at the entrance was big enough to insert the pole.

Yup - call the Humane Society and ask for help.

nnikol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i called the wildlife rescue and they told be they're is nothing they can do. the shaft is too tight for a catch pole and too small for a humane trap. unless he comes out to eat we can perhaps put a tarp outside. but so far he has not come out to eat...we will wait it out. Either he comes out or no food ( i will try this for three days). I'm not sure if i should put the water up there or leave it next to the food outside. Apparently cats can safely g without water for 3 days.

If that doesn't work I'm fresh out of options.