Tip for litter box cleaning.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a rather sensitive stomache, and when father became too ill to do the litterbox I at first found it hard; I would sometimes throw up from the smell.

However, I found that if I took a big blob of Vick's Vapo-Rub and smeared it around my nose and upper lip, the eucalyptus/menthol smell of the Vicks would mask the litterbox smell quite effectively.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I have a rather sensitive stomache, and when father became too ill to do the litterbox I at first found it hard; I would sometimes throw up from the smell.

However, I found that if I took a big blob of Vick's Vapo-Rub and smeared it around my nose and upper lip, the eucalyptus/menthol smell of the Vicks would mask the litterbox smell quite effectively.
I am wondering why I keep reading about the smell from the litter box. I have two cats that share an enclosed litter box and when I take off the top to clean it, I cannot smell anything. I believe that I have the normal smelling ability so I can only conclude it must be the food that people are feeding their cats.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Food or the litter used or both... I was pet sitting recently and I had to ask for help because I just kept gagging and gagging, and was afraid I would really just puke. I only stepped in to help with the pet sitting for few days, and didn't see what the litter was because I didn't need to refill. The food wasn't anything weird but the litter was just gross.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I am wondering why I keep reading about the smell from the litter box. I have two cats that share an enclosed litter box and when I take off the top to clean it, I cannot smell anything. I believe that I have the normal smelling ability so I can only conclude it must be the food that people are feeding their cats.
I think it might have to do with frequency of cleaning and how "fresh" the waste is. I clean daily and the only time it smells is if one of the cats has gone poo recently.