Discarding old but favorite clothes

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been going though all my clothes and its time to say goodbye to some old favorites.

Really!!

I have this pair of mens XXL gym shorts that say Syracuse Fiesta Bowl 1993.
The legs are so big that it looks like I have a skirt on when I'm wearing them and now they have paint spatters on them. I have about 15 pairs of other shorts that I should be wearing but I always seem to grab these.

Why is it so had to toss something like these away?????
What favorite articles of clothes should you say goodbye too.

Perhaps we could pick a specific date for discarding and all do it at once so we can console each other.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually do something creative with my faves. Like either make a pillow out of them, or use them for a quilt (that I will one day make... maybe) or even just cut the design off of save it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even discuss it. Especially since all those favorite old clothes of mine are size 6, and I'm now a 12/14!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep them. They always come back in style! And these days there is no "style" so anything goes. Even spandex is alive and well according to all of the girls at the gym that I see wearing it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I usually do something creative with my faves. Like either make a pillow out of them, or use them for a quilt (that I will one day make... maybe) or even just cut the design off of save it.
I've made pillows out of shirts I liked! I gave them to my cousin's daughter for her bedroom. They were the baby doll style shirts and had smiley faces and things on them. They were really cute. Oh and I've made some catnip pillow toys out of pieces of a tank top before too. I just cut around a patterned part to make it. It's one of the girls favorite toys!

I have a few things tucked away that I can't bear to part with. Mostly a few outfits from when DH and I were dating and things. I can't fit in them now, but they have sentimental memories attached to them.

I have a hard time getting rid of anything not either really worn or just ugly. That goes beyond clothing too.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only keep the ones that I really like and that I think that will be back in style some day because they are basically classics out of style. The rest I give to charity.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have concert t-shirts I just don't wear anymore.
They're either too small or spots of paint or whatever.
I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
The ones with spots are great for when I color my hair.
The others bring back some great memories.

I know, I'm pathetic...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

I have concert t-shirts I just don't wear anymore.
They're either too small or spots of paint or whatever.
I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
The ones with spots are great for when I color my hair.
The others bring back some great memories.

I know, I'm pathetic...
Actually, the concert T's are back in style

I bought a Posion shirt at Wal-Mart a couple months ago that looks like it's been bleached, and a Lynard Skynard shirt that looks like it's got paint on it!
Wear em! I do!

Also, I've noticed ripped/torn jeans are coming back in style too. Which means 75% of my jeans are now stylish

I have a hard time getting rid of clothes.. I actually had to store some of my clothes @ my mom's house when I moved
I have soooooooo many clothes

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I'm prepping to move, I'm going to clear out closets. The shoes with tiny buckles are going - my arthritic fingers can't manage them any longer. My one evening gown (worn once, 7 years ago) - going to Goodwill. Things that I haven't worn, in at least a couple of years - all going to Goodwill.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I still wear it I keep it as long as it's not falling apart. I did just part with some clothes from my younger years. Stuff I haven't worn in 5+ years and probably won't ever fit me again since I've got boobs and hips now.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was sooo hard getting rid of my favorite high school shirts....especially the stuff I wore in my senior pictures.

I too keep some stuff in the next size down...the cute stuff.The rule is supposedly to get rid of it if you don't wear it in a year's time.....that's way easier said than done.

I'm better than Scott though....he has BINS of old clothes he refuses to give away. I at least go through mine and get rid of a bag or two once in awhile...