Should I neuter my cat?

ilpav

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I adopted my cat (Leo) from a friend back in October 2006. He was 3 months old and now he's almost 1 year 7 months old. He only had his first set of rabies shots when he was with his previous owner and I didn't perform the second set; In fact I never took him to the vet once. I am feeding him Performatrin Adult now (he was always fed Performatrin) and he seems very healthy. Over the past half year or so he started meowing periodically (when he's alone) and stops only when someone walks up to him and gives him some attention. He was also accidentally let outside on a number of occasions and, especially recently, gets very aggressive when he's outside (there is a bench on my front lawn that he crawls under every time and doesn't run away, even though there's a forest nearby). Back in September 2007 I was on my way to school in the morning and I accidentally let him out, but when I got hold of him he shrieked very loudly and slashed my nose (I now have a scar about 1/4 of an inch long). Just recently, when he was accidentally let out, his tail bushed up three times it's normal width and whenever someone tried to put their hand near him he would strike it with his paw (not his claws) very hard. We got him back inside by spraying him with water (he is terrified of it). For half a week after that he was in a bad mood and his meows were very weird (the pitch of his meows got very low). Right now he is normal (except for his periodic meowing). He is a very lovable cat and only gets aggressive when he sees something out the window (rabbit, another cat etc.) or is let outside. Since spring time is coming up, I am starting to get worried that he will get more aggressive and meow even louder (because he may want to mate), but he was normal last spring (mating season). I won't take him to the vet unless he is obviously ill because he really hates changes. I went on a family vacation for a week about a month ago and my grandparents had to live here to take care of him (feed, clean, play etc.). Maybe it was after this he started acting weird (he is used to seeing me everyday).

What I want to know is how is his life expectancy if he doesn't get neutered and doesn't get regular visits to the vet and he stays normal as he is now?

Thanks.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Life expectancy of an un-vetted cat is drastically shorter, & they often die horrendous deaths.

Letting him outdoor he'll fight with other toms, possibly contract diseases, or get hit by a car.

Neutering is very important, as are regular shots & vet visits. It is your duty as a kitty parent to get him vetted, he relys completely on you. You obviously care a great deal about him, or you wouldn't be here!

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I say neuter him. He can get diseases if he breeds with other cats out doors (plus he would be making many more possibly unwanted kittens).

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're not gonna get one response that says, "No don't neuter him". Promise

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the other posters are right, but you also need to address the aggression, which is directly attributed to him not being neutered.

I would schedule one immediately, especially if he's getting out, even if it's only on occasion. From my experience I would say that he'll only become more troublesome and aggressive the more time elapses w/o the neuter.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely get him neutered. Not only will it be healthier for him, but it will also curb his aggression and probably not make him as interested in going outside which could be dangerous for him. Believe me, I've seen what can happen when 2 tom cats (un-neutered males that are fighting over a female in heat) and it is NOT pretty! One of our barn cats was attacked by a very vicious tom last year, and he will never have the use of his back leg. The vet couldn't do anything but try to clean the infection and keep it from spreading.

I'm actually surprised he hasn't started spraying in the house, or marking his "territory". As spring gets closer and more females outside go into heat, it is very possible that he will start so I would get him neutered as soon as possible. It's really not that expensive to neuter a male cat (about 1/2 the cost of spaying a female cat because the surgery isn't as invasive). If you don't think you can afford it, contact the vet. When we got our first two fixed, we actually were able to get a voucher from the humane society that paid for most of it (I think we had to pay $25.00) because our income was low. Also, check and see if their are any clinics in your area that are having a clinic where they do spay/neuters for minimal cost.

I would definitely follow up with his rabies shots, especially if you are planning to let him outside, and with woods around. He may not roam far, but if he is out and gets in a fight with a rabid raccoon or something, that could be his death sentence (and yours).

He is your baby, and you obviously love him or else you wouldn't be asking these questions or being worried about him.

Welcome to TCS, by the way, and I hope to see more of you. Don't forget to post pics of you kitty when you get a chance!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please do neuter him. My guy, Sebastian, wasn't neutered for the first year of his life. I think this may be when he contracted FIV from fighting over females with other males.

His agression is due to wanting OUT to roam and mate. He may not even understand why he gets aggressive, its just instinct - he cannot help it.

He will still be able to mate even after neutering for a month or so. That's how long it takes the testosterone to get out of the system.

Just be patient and understanding with him. Keep giving him love. You do want to neuter as soon as possible. You do not want to live with the smell male cats make when they spray. Makes your eyes water.

Thanks for being a wonderful cat friend
Would love to see photos when you can. Welcome!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi! Welcome to TCS!! The bad news is that a life expectancy of an unaltered Un-vetted male who goes outside is about 4 years old. So to start with, do the chippity chop and get him neutered! That increases his life expectancy quite a bit! The vet care would also bring it up! Keeping him indoors only might change the numbers too!

The best chance of survivial that YOUR cat has, is to nueter him right away!! He probably has kittens out there! So neutering would be helpful to other people around your area too! There cats are coming home pregnant!

I guess what it boils down to is he needs to be nutted, he needs vet care, and he needs his shots to have a kitty that could live to a ripe old age with you!! Its so worth this to! I dont regret spending all the money I have spent. It has made my family happy! We know that we are Helping animals!

Let us know what you decide to do!

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has he not had any vaccinations?? I think when you should get him neutered you should also get him his vaccinations. They're really important for your cat's health, and if the money's what you're worried about, think about the cost of vet treatment when he gets sick later... It'll be a lot more.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely neuter him. Health concerns aside, look at it this way - as an entire tom his hormones are constantly telling him to mate. So you have 2 choices - either let him out to mate and be responsible for lots more kittens coming into the world (not good) or to deny him the chance to mate and leave him frustrated because he can't follow his urges. Neither of those options are good for him, so please get him neutered. He will be much happier and less aggressive.

Most cats get stressed out going to the vets, but it is a necessary evil and can save a lot of stress later on by making sure he stays healthy, up to date with vaccinations and that any health problems are picked up early.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most areas offer low-cost vaccination clinics (usually through local pet stores) and low-cost spay/neuter (usually through local humane society).

keep us posted

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You will both be much happier if you get him neutered! Promise!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are significant reductions in the rates of various illnesses and diseases, such as testicular cancer.

Oh and by the way, females can come into heat once every 6 weeks. We normally see kittens in the spring because of the better weather. But I have seen kittens in my colony in December.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The health issue is the one I would be most concerned about and coming in at second place is "spraying". Cat spray is a horrible smell and very, very difficult to get rid of so getting him neutered before he starts is the very best thing to do.

As the others have said, allowing a whole cat outside to impregnate females and allow more kittens with no homes is not a good thing. If he fights other males, as the others also said, he could end up torn and bloody.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilpav

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Some of you must of misunderstood me; Leo gets outside ONLY by accident (he may slip out the door while someone is coming in or leaving.). All of my family members know that he cannot get outside, so we are always on guard. He is strictly a house cat and I am really opposed to letting him outside.

About the neutering: I heard that when a cat is neutered, it loses all of its personality and just sleeps all day. Right now Leo is playful most of the time and I don't want him to become a "vegetable". I believe he will go nuts if he had to go to the vet and plus he is very smart and knows that if he goes into a portable cage, something is wrong. He is just used to being home every day and I think he loves it because everyone here loves him. Every day I come home he greets me with a meow and falls to his side so I can rub his belly (he absolutely loves that
).

About his urges: Can't he "relieve himself" by himself? I have seen him licking his private area and sometimes I even help him out with that (not what you think, I just rub his belly directly above his private area until some drops of clear liquid come out of his penis). BTW is a cat's sperm clear or white, like a human's? Can't he satisfy his urges by masturbating?

Thanks.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm, cats are not people. Cats are felines, people are humans. We are not the same. That's all I can say at the moment.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well if neutered cats are supposed to be vegetables, Dahmer did not get the memo. And neither did the cats at my rescue I volunteer for. Dangit, who's sending out the memo? They're missing everybody!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilpav

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

Well if neutered cats are supposed to be vegetables, Dahmer did not get the memo. And neither did the cats at my rescue I volunteer for. Dangit, who's sending out the memo? They're missing everybody!
Well, a neutered cat will be CLOSER to a vegetable, than a cat that isn't.

I actually knew a cat a while ago and I remembered he was very playful until he turned one, when his owners neutered him. His personality changed quite a lot. He would only ever be active when he had to walk to his food bowl or to his litter box. He seamed very depressed all the time. That's what I fear most in getting Leo neutered. He will be depressed and fat for the rest of his life.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it's your call but you're mentioning one cat who was obese and lethargic, I'm mentioning at least 30 who aren't. That's not mentioning all my friends' cats. All speutered. I'l speutering my 2 out of 3 cats on Thursday. Not expecting anything different.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please neuter your cat! Each time he gets out he is probably contributing to kittens in local shelters...Not only that but you are risking him getting sick each time he gets out, as well, especially if he has not had any vaccinations as a kitten.

AND rabies is usually required by law in pretty much every state...this is a horrific disease, so at the least innoculate him against this one!!!