She thinks she's a guard dog

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female thinks she's a guard dog. Whenever she hears a car she doesn't recognize pull into our drive, she starts to growl at it just like our dogs used to do. Maybe she is taking over their guard duty as we don't have any dogs right now. She doesn't have the courage to do anything but growl. If the person gets out of the car and comes to the door she tears off for a hiding place. But she's all tough until then.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
She's giving them fair warning that she is going to go hide and plan something diabolical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They also are in charge of when it's bedtime. At 10pm one of them will come and tell me it's bedtime. Donny (the grey tabby) started it. He comes and sits by me at the computer and just meows until I get up and go to bed. Then everything is right with the world. Then he trained Chade to issue the "It's Bedtime" Meow. She isn't as persistent as he is and will wander off if I don't leave the computer. Then he comes in and really talks till I go to bed.

And I just thought I was in charge.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, mine do that as well. They also growl if I am upstairs in the Master (with them) and they hear my DH or child start walking up the stairs. When they see it is them, they stop and are fine. What freaks me out is when I am home alone or at home with no DH and kids are in bed and they start to growl looking into the darkness.
That makes for a "great" night's sleep when DH is out of town.

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat just thinks he's a dog in general. He wags his tail when he's happy and purring away, looooves belly rubs, and will drink water out of the toilet if we forget to put the lid down!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by compmom42

They also are in charge of when it's bedtime. At 10pm one of them will come and tell me it's bedtime. Donny (the grey tabby) started it. He comes and sits by me at the computer and just meows until I get up and go to bed. Then everything is right with the world. Then he trained Chade to issue the "It's Bedtime" Meow. She isn't as persistent as he is and will wander off if I don't leave the computer. Then he comes in and really talks till I go to bed.

And I just thought I was in charge.
Bobby used to do that in the middle of the day so I'd come nap with him.

And if he was up having kitty crazy time at night I could just mumble "came nap with mommy, bobby" and he'd huff and climb up on the bed and snuggle up with me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, one of mine drinks from the toilet. The other loves to have her tummy rubbed. Last night my female started her guard behavior as soon as she heard DH's car coming down the street. He took a little too long coming inside, so she growled at him. Once she heard his footsteps (he wears boots so they are distinctive) she was happy and settled back down. I need to get a Caution-Guard Cat on duty sign!

olivier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cat Tara was younger, she meowed and went crazy when she saw another cat by the window. One time, my dog Mac came and barked and she went even crazier. They were in a feud for the next 2 days, unable to see each other.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this is funny
)) our Givi wags his tail and plays biting my arm ( the way dogs do it when they are trained to attack someone lol) and of course walks on a leash and fetch/ i think dogs and cats have more things in common than we think they have..