› Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Would you spay a 4 month old?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you spay a 4 month old?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm in the process of making an appointment to neuter Kayden (9 mo). Most places give a discount if I bring in more than one cat at a time so I was wondering if you guys would recommend me bringing in Sassy (4 mo) too. I would rather wait till she's about 6 months but money is a bit tight right now and I wouldn't mind doing it earlier at a discount. But of course, if it's better for her to wait, then I rather she be healthy than save me some money.
post #2 of 18
Yes, yes yes - get her done now. Kittens as young as 4 months old can and do breed. And if your male is not neutered he could breed her now. Plus if you didn't do her now, then he would have to be separated from her for about 2 months to be sure he was "clean" and not able to get her pregnant.

I'd get her done at the same time if at all possible.
post #3 of 18
So long as your trusted vet feels she is healthy enough to undergo surgery at this time, then there should be no problem with spaying your little girl at 16 weeks old. Many vets practice "pediatric spay/neuter" in some kittens as early as 8 weeks old. I would discuss it with your vet before making any concrete decisions.
post #4 of 18
She'll most likely be fine being spayed at 4mo as long as the vet is comfortable doing it and she's not a tiny runt (i.e I think it goes more by weight than age).

I know purebred kittens are usually spayed/neutered before going to their homes in the States so I'd think there wouldn't be a problem with a 4 mo kitten being spayed. Go for it if it makes things easier and you'll be 100% certain there won't be kittens since cats can come into heat as young as 5 months and male can be fertile for a month or two after they've been neutered so you have a window where she could potentially get pregnant.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quick question, would you be still saying yes if I didn't have Kayden? Or is he the only factor to your answer?
post #6 of 18
I would say yes no matter what. There is absolutely no reason to wait until 6 months old when they can go into heat by then. Spaying before the first heat basically wipes out the chances of cancer. Having an intact male just makes me say YES DO IT NOW even more!

Good question though!
post #7 of 18
I would say yes, go ahead and do it now even if you didn't have the little boy ... take it from someone who knows well the "joys" of a female cat in estrus. You are sparing both your little girl and you those sleepless nights, the endless calling ... some girls are so preoccupied with the urge to mate that they don't eat, they don't sleep, they just roam the house looking for any way out they can find. It's miserable for everyone concerned. You will be taking that off the table and that is a good thing, trust me!
post #8 of 18
My kitten was spayed at the shelter and she was about 10 weeks and less than 2 pounds. If your vet is comfortable with it, then sure, go for it! Then both kitties will be able to convalesce together too, and you won't have the spunky cat harassing the recovering cat.
post #9 of 18
Daphne went into heat at 4 1/2 months so it can happen early. If you wait, your girl may be in heat soon and that is something that is no fun for anyone involved. If it saves you money, even better. I would say do it now even if she were the only cat Good luck and let us know how it goes.
post #10 of 18
I would do it now too! My vet will do it once they are 4 lbs.
post #11 of 18
My vet recommends cats be spayed/neutered as soon as the first baby tooth falls out - and that's usually around four months old. I've never waited until a cat was six months old.

Many vets won't spay reallly little kitties - but that is only because they learned otherwise and aren't used to working on such small animals. But there have been studies done, and it is just as safe to spay kitty as early as 7 weeks as it is to wait until 4 or 6 months.

Here's a link to the article in case you're interested:

post #12 of 18
I use to work for an animal hospital that spayed/nuetered cats and dgos for the pound, as long as they are healthy and 2 pounds or higher they will be fine, we have never had a problem.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok, I'm convinced lol. They both have an appointment for speuters on Thursday. Wish us luck
post #14 of 18
Good luck!

post #15 of 18
good luck! I'm sure they will both come out with flying colors
post #16 of 18
Good luck, I'm sure they'll be fine.

My 3 were all done at 10 weeks, before I got them
post #17 of 18
Originally Posted by okiron View Post
Ok, I'm convinced lol. They both have an appointment for speuters on Thursday. Wish us luck

Yay! I was going to recommend it as well. My vet likes to do it at 4 months but Chloe is tiny for her age and I wanted to wait until the holidays were over to do it, so she's actually being spayed right now (I pick her up in an hour) at 5 1/2 months.

Cats are going in heat much younger than they used to, you are making a good decision I think.
post #18 of 18
I guess you don't need anymore convincing
My oldest was done at 4 months, 4 of our crew were done at 2 pounds (roughly 2 months).

We have no fat lazy kitties here, just healthy, active ones, that still have that kitten craziness even at 3 and 4 years old
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Would you spay a 4 month old?