It is insanely cold!!!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a Canadian, I'm used to unusually cold weather. However, today is absolutely insane. We are currently in the middle of a blizzard with winds gusting to 70 kilometers per hour, 15 cm of snow, and a temperature right now of -41*C!! (-41.8*F). Compared to what we are expecting tonight, this is warm. Overnight tonight we are expecting -55*C (-67.9*F). Weather like this just makes me think of how many poor, stray cats are out in this. I wish I could just take them all inside with me.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW....I cannot imagine it being that cold its 49f here and the low is 37 and that is cold enough for me! Hope it gets a bit warmer soon for you!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang, I thought the windchill was only supposed to be -51*c! It sure was interesting driving to school in this kind of snow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Dang, I thought the windchill was only supposed to be -51*c! It sure was interesting driving to school in this kind of snow.
Yeah I heard -51*C initially too, but then a radio station said it was going to be -55. The sad thing is they are usually more accurate than the weather network

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the middle of B.C. itis freezing here too, it was -37C this morning with a wind chill of -45C, I told the kids they were staying home today,they can tell the teacher. Mom's hibernating.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That blizzard is on it's way here! It's in Western Manitoba now, but Winnipeg apparently will now only see about 3cm of snow instead of what they were predicting yesterday! The temperature today was like spring. Snow was actually melting. But it's gotten colder now, and it supposed to be really, really cold for the next week or so

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That front is going to be reaching Wisconsin tomorrow.
Out temps today were 43F!! (one degree from record). Rain tonite turning to "wintry mix" then as temps plument -the weatherman says around 3 pm snow. Oh I forgot the wind-gust up to 50 mph!!! Lows tomorrow night w/o windchill -7F. They can't predict the snowfall amt as it depends on when the temps fall. Estimate 6-10 inches.
The northern UP of Michigan has several locations with blizzard warnings!!
Good thing I picked up more items at the grocery store-now to go early tomorrow and get the gas cans full for the snowblower.
This has been the snowiest winter since 96-97!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The temperature today was like spring. Snow was actually melting.
Yeah it was the same here. Yesterday, we got up to +4*C! And then all of a sudden: "Southern Saskatchewan is in a winter storm warning with very low temperatures and strong winds and could get as much as 15cm of snow." ??? How does the temperature drop over 40 degrees in 10 hours?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

This has been the snowiest winter since 96-97!!
I remember that winter - I was still living there.
It seems to me that the winter of 95-96 was a bad one, too.

The coldest winter I recall was in the early eighties (I'm not sure exactly when, but I think it was 81 or 82
). The actual temps were around 50 below, and the windchill factor was around 80 below.
I remember that the power had gone out for a few hours, and b/c it was so cold, the water pipes froze up in the attic: when the power came back on they started to thaw, and the pipes burst from the pressure, and I had all this water running out of the attic into the house.
What a mess THAT was!

A person who has never experienced that kind of cold cannot comprehend just how cold cold can be...

I don't envy any of y'all at all!
I remember those frigid/snowy days all too well..

Now you know why I stay in Texas!

to y'all that you stay safe & warm!

~KK~