Post-neuter behavior problem?

lprdgrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9-month-old orange tabby Sandy was neutered four days ago. Since then his behavior has changed. He's fussy with his litter mates (one male/one female), but he's become very clingy to me. BUT, right now he's hiding in our boat and won't come out! He's in a tiny location that we can't reach! Has anyone experienced this kind of behavior change after neutering? Is he sick? Dying? Or is he just a cat who became too curious and is now in a fix?! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may need to be seen again by the vet - the whole thing obviously traumatized him, whether or not he has ongoing problems, so I'd make every effort to get him out of the boat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lprdgrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Larke -
Thanks for your input!
Sandy did FINALLY come out of the boat (cooked chicken was what finally did the trick!) I called his vet again and they don't seem too worried about him - like it's just his reaction to his surgery, etc. He does seem better today - not hissing/batting at his brother or sister. But they (bro and sis) are now snubbing him! I'm sure that's just their reaction to his fussy behavior. Hopefully soon my little cat family will all be happy and back to normal!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lprdgrl

But they (bro and sis) are now snubbing him! I'm sure that's just their reaction to his fussy behavior.
Actually, they might be snubbing him because he might still smell like the vet's office, and therefore not at all what they are used to. Cats rely so much on their sense of smell.

Try rubbing some corn starch on all of them, and/or applying a drop or two of vanilla extract on top of their tails. This will help them to smell the same. You can also rub the other two cats with a towel, and then rub Sandy with it.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what I was thinking too RobertM!!

Did you get them all fixed at the same time, or did just the one get nuetered? I like to do mine together, that way when they come home they can heal together! Good luck with your Sandy! Let us know how its going! Good

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lprdgrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks RobertM and glitch! I'll try the scent trick - I wouldn't have thought of that!
Winky, my peach tabby, was neutered in Dec., and Faylene, my gray-multi, was spayed the day before Sandy's neuter. He has been a little worse with Fay - must be the "evil vet smell"!! Sandy is a fairly nervous cat under normal circumstances, I guess I just didn't realize how much he would be effected by the whole ordeal - Winky and Faylene bounced right back. My poor baby!
Thanks again for the advice!!