Setting Up To Breed

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well guys, it looks like I'm doing this breeding thing a bit earlier than I expected
My sister and I have registered our CFA cattery name - Mimesis. It's greek for "representation". Our inner philosophers felt it was a good fit
It sums up what we're trying to do as breeders, plus it's got "sis" as part of the word.

We're starting out with Turkish Vans. I have some cats picked out as my foundations, but I'll post pics once I have them in hand. I don't want to jinx anything!

Eventually, I'd like to move into Egyptian Maus. For the time being though, we're going to focus on the Vans. There are so many excellent Mau breeders where I live, I want to put my energies into a breed that I can help

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait for photos, I have a soft spot for Turkish Vans and they're one of the less common breeds, I think that's a good decision. I can't help thinking that breeding Turkish cats under a Greek name is probably not the most diplomatic move ever but there you go

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds great and its wise to just start with one breed. You want to learn EVERYTIHNG you can about the breed - good or bad. And you should know a bit of basic genetics IMO since Vans do come in more then one color.

I wish you the best and just take it one step at a time. Right now, you should start writing up a contract for the future for pet or show cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping to have photos up near the end of March

Epona - I wanted to select a cattery name that wouldn't restrict me to just one breed, so anything overtly Turkish was out of the question.

GK- The contact is a good idea. . . I will look back and see what I signed when I brought home my cats. It wouldn't hurt to borrow some of the wording

I've been researching colors like crazy, since I'm searching for some rarities
I also will have my cats tested from catgenes.com in case they have something that you can't see from their appearance.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting! I am trying to decide now on which breeder I want to get my first breeding female from. I have a few ideas I just want to talk to some more breeders before I make my decision. I have worked on writing a contract up. One of the things I have been told is Somali females spray, not sure about Turkish Vans. I really didn't want to cage my females but it looks like with this breed it is a must. Do you have cages? Can't wait to see the pictures

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I'm sorry if I offended but I did check up on the cats you Granded and knew you had a sister involved!

T vans do need more ethical breeders and I'm glad you have your foundations lined up. I suppose it must be easier to become a breeder in the US since you do have a of choice of catteries to choose from. It's taken me 2-3 years just to become established enough to get US breeders to trust me with their babies! Even then, the contracts from my chosen breeders can be very limiting....

Originally Posted by kitytize

\tHow exciting! I am trying to decide now on which breeder I want to get my first breeding female from. I have a few ideas I just want to talk to some more breeders before I make my decision. I have worked on writing a contract up. One of the things I have been told is Somali females spray, not sure about Turkish Vans. I really didn't want to cage my females but it looks like with this breed it is a must. Do you have cages?
My queens spray as well...thank goodness the smell isn't as bad as the males!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kitytize - I have no idea if TUV females spray, I have a feeling it depends on the cat. . . I've never heard complaints of them spraying, however, I've heard a bit about Mau females spraying when they're in heat.
I don't want to cage my cats, though there is a stud that I have in my sights, so I'm developing a blueprint for a caged area that makes use of vertical space. That and finding stud-pants will keep him in check

Abymummy - not offended by you looking me up at all! Glad to know I sparked your interest
I've checked out the Aby standings to look for Bulan, so we're even

Since the Turkish Van is a natural breed, I'm hoping to find some cats to import in addition to working with the lines that have already been established. I've got some great guidance and have developed a lot of trust. Nothing shows you're serious like carting a premier around every weekend
I'd be happy to share images of what I've found, but please understand that I don't want to post anything until I have them in hand

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know as though any breed sprays more then the next, just depends on the cat. My male does spray a little, so I do have to cage him, but I let him loose in the house when the girls are caged so he can stretch and hang out with us more often then most. My females do not spray. I know of a few (ragdoll) breeders that have females that spray and not their males, and they are worse then any male they have had, so I guess it depends.
I have had a few people here that said they wouldn't have known I had a cat let alone breed them, because it didn't smell like cat spray, and at the time I had 17 cats/kittens running around or caged.

I can't wait to see pics after they are in hand!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Abymummy - not offended by you looking me up at all! Glad to know I sparked your interest
I've checked out the Aby standings to look for Bulan, so we're even
That's good to know...the question is now, which sister are you????

As for Bulan and Suria, as long as they remain in the top 30 Abys (for Championship, Bulan is 17th and Premiership, Suria is 18th) by the end of the show season I'll be more than ecstatic! There are over 200 Abys being competed in Championship this year alone!

As you know, breeders strive for the ideal. There hasn't been a T Van ranked very high in the past few years so you have a long road ahead of you.

If you would, here's a lesson I've learned over the years - have a mental picture of YOUR perfect cat. Know what's wrong and right in your foundations and when the 1st litter comes, figure out subjectively what you need in the later foundation cats to correct what's wrong (or rather what's not quite right).

For example, I know that to make Suria a "better" Aby he needs better ears, eyes and profile. He has the color and type down pat (IMO). So, I went looking for catteries that have the "perfect" head that suits my ideal. My new foundations are coming, god willing, this year
These cats
will hopefully correct what's lacking in my cats (Not that they aren't already perfect they way they are)!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm, you might call me the R-sister
I can say no more!

T-van breeders have many theories about why we have not yet had a NW. . . no matter, any way you cut it, there's something that we're doing in the breed that CFA does not like. The breed does well in TICA, though. I think we have had 2 NW cats in their registry.

I'm hoping to bring in the "flashy" colors. I'd like to focus on and develop dilute lines, and even track down a silver or smoke if possible
Color is most important to me right now. Later, I'll focus on tweaking my type. I'm looking to the "blue" breeds in order to decide on what I want to develop in dilute colors.

Good luck with all of your new foundations! You must be anxious. . . do you mind sharing the cattery name?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm, you might call me the R-sister
I can say no more!

Good luck with all of your new foundations! You must be anxious. . . do you mind sharing the cattery name?
I can't, not yet! Like you, I don't want to jinx anything until the cats are here, at home with me...and I'm sworn to secrecy anyway!
Let's just say that these cats will carry the lines that a whole lot of Aby breeders will drool over! (Took me two years to get them!)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm hoping to bring in the "flashy" colors. I'd like to focus on and develop dilute lines, and even track down a silver or smoke if possible
Color is most important to me right now. Later, I'll focus on tweaking my type. I'm looking to the "blue" breeds in order to decide on what I want to develop in dilute colors.
That's cool - usually when I see Vans they are the more common red ones, but I am a fan of dilutes (in any breed). I have a blue OSH which for some reason there seems to be a shortage of at the moment ie plenty of people want one but hardly ever any available and I don't recall seeing a blue at a show, I'm sure I would have remembered. I should be getting a lilac soon, very pretty colour indeed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only vans I've seen in the shows are black/white, calico, or red/whites - I know they come in different colors

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I can't help thinking that breeding Turkish cats under a Greek name is probably not the most diplomatic move ever but there you go
So true, Epona.

Jim & Ann, the Van Fans