Question about aids and leukemia

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted about the pitiful cat we found. It was in my backyard with my two cats. I don't know that my cats go around him, but if he has aids or leukemia, how is it passed on to other cats? Does it have to be through scratching? I guess I should get them tested. I'm worried sick now.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by heather40

I posted about the pitiful cat we found. It was in my backyard with my two cats. I don't know that my cats go around him, but if he has aids or leukemia, how is it passed on to other cats? Does it have to be through scratching? I guess I should get them tested. I'm worried sick now.
I would suggest you call the vet back, let him know the situation with your cats being in contact with the poor old fellow you took in and ask him this question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will do that. I am so nervous about it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said I could come in and have my tested (he is pretty sure it was feline leukemia), but he thought it would be fine since mine have had the feline leukemia vaccination. How is fel. Leukemia contracted? Is it airborne?

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can be spread by bites, bathing, scratching, sharing food. Cat to cat direct contact is the way they get it. There's no evidence that people are affected by it.