step son installing programs

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
geez. I tell ya yesterday wasn't a good day.. my stepson I guess you can call him ( my boyfriend-Jim lives with me and he has a son from a previous marriage)..the son is 11 his name is Brennan. Brennan was talking to his little friends (more female then male) on msn. Or rather windows live.

Well he downloaded some stuff..including onecare family safety....
interesting..first time I have ever heard of an 11 year old putting on parental controls. Now what this did to my computer was block out the internet completely. I had no idea that he installed it. So he did that saturday night. Yesterday we go to look something up on the computer and can't get online. so I restarted the computer and see this pop up telling me that I didn't finish setting it up. I see this uninstall link..so I uninstall it. Still can't get on the internet. Phoned my service provider...they went through some settings with me (some I already looked at). The modem was online at their end ( I have cable internet)..and appeared to be working fine...well... still couldn't get on...
was on the phone for over an hour. I got off the phone tried some stuff..still can't get online so... I called them back and someone is coming tonight between 4 - 6 pm.... however, after we drove his son home (around a 45 min drive outside of winnipeg) ..and got something to eat and groceries..we came home..the internet worked for awhile....
then it didn't work. I had to renew the ip address...and it worked...
still works I think (i'm at work)..but i'm still letting the tech come to my house to check it.
geez.
kids.
if he doesn't turn down the heat to nothing at night and freeze us..he does something else...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Sounds like Brennan has some pre-teen issues.

Were they controls by parents or for parents?

Stay warm!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The next time he comes to your house, set up a user account just for him. There are different levels of accounts and if you choose to make it so, he won't be able to install or uninstall anything.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a pain in the neck!

But hey... at least he's being responsible... installing programs so you can monitor his internet usage; keeping your heating bill down...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ya..great..heating bill goes down and we freeze! lol little brat...
he does have an account but he usually just uses mine....
I should make him use it...

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

ya..great..heating bill goes down and we freeze! lol little brat...
he does have an account but he usually just uses mine....
I should make him use it...
I make my kids use their own, I put a password on mine so the kids can't change anything, I have a 17 year old daughter .that for some strange reason like to change everything
since I changed the password on mine she hasn't been able to do anything

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd stick a password on yours that only you know like mb does so that he won't do that again. That way he won't be allowed to install new programs on your pc.