Maya, my angel

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've written that post on another forum. I'm sorry I don't have the strenght to write a new one and go through all this pain again.

My Sweet Maya
Maya was my foster pregnant cat for only 10 days. When she arrived at my home, I immediatly realised she was a special cat. She never showed any sign of aggressivity (even when my other cats were hissing her), she was beautiful, gentle and had amazing eyes. I took care of her more than anything else I've ever cared about in my life. I spent hours on the net, on the phone, on forums and at the vet during these 10 days to try to save her.

At first, it was just to get information to make sure her pregnancy and the moment of giving birth would go fine. But then, she started being sick. A few days later, she just stopped eating. I was more and more worried. We don't have much money (actually, we have practically none), but we knew we couldn't wait until monday to get her to a vet yesterday night. So we drove to the emergency vet. She hadn't eaten in two days and wasn't practically moving. By the time we got there, her temperature was 6 degrees to low (32 instead of 38). They told us they didn't know what was wrong and that they would need to keep her for a day to find out, but it was too expansive (800$+ the 250$ that we had already paid). So they gave her fluids under her skins and took some tests (I saw her 5 babies in her tummy) and they told us we had to feed her, make her drink and keep her warm.

I spent to whole day warming up towels and rice bags, feeding her and giving her water with a syringe. Giving her 10ml of water could take half an hour because she had a lot of trouble swallowing adn she cough a lot. At five this afternoon, I thought we would be able to go through it. Her temp was a little higher (but still low) and I had been able to make her drink the quantity that the vet had told me too (20ml/hour). But then something went wrong. She started having contractions, but I think it was too much for her and she was in so much pain. Then it went away. Soon after, it came back. And it went away again. The third time seemed to hurt her so bad. One minute later she was dead in my hands and there's nothing I could do.

If only I had had the money to save her and her babies. I would have borrowed it, but we already owe so much (credit cards are maxed and we already owe a few thousands). I feel so ashamed I wasn't able to save her and she was such a sweet cat. She had a rough life and I wanted to make it better when I took her away from the shelter, but it would have been just less painful for her to be put to sleep there than having to die slowly at my home.

Please Maya, forgive me. I love you and I already miss you. I hope you're in a better world with your babies, where you are not sick and feel no pain.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Maya, I had no idea this happened! She was such a beautiful cat, I remember when you first posted pictures of her here.

You did everything you could for a cat that technically wasn't even yours. The important thing is that she had a loving home and knew that she was with people that cared about her.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terribly sad for you. Poor Maya & her little babies. I've been reading your thread with anticipation & now I'm in tears. You did all you could for her. Doesn't the shelter you got her from cover some of the costs?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened! At least she had a loving caretaker in her final hours. And being there was much better than being in the shelter. Rest in peace Maya and babies.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had also been watching and anticipating the birth... Im so sorry!!

I can't help but to cry, and cant imagine what you're going through!! At least she is with her babies now over the Rainbow Bridge!!

Dont blame yourself honey, from the sounds of things, there was nothing you could have done!!! I dont think the vet would have helped at all, really I dont. She was a brave soul, and she will always watch over you! She new she was loved, thats really important!

RIP MAYA & YOUR 5 BABIES

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Oh poor Maya, I had no idea this happened! She was such a beautiful cat, I remember when you first posted pictures of her here.

You did everything you could for a cat that technically wasn't even yours. The important thing is that she had a loving home and knew that she was with people that cared about her.

exactly, you gave her a loving home for her last days.
she really was a beauty! she & her 5 babies are happy & healthy now, running around over the bridge.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am so sorry!!
I was one of the *anxious* ones that was awaiting her kittens.

May this beautiful girl play over the bridge.

nikki_e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aww... RIP Maya and the kittens. I had been following your thread and waiting for the kittens arrival. But you did everything you could. At least she is out of pain now. Poor little angel.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too I got tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
Bless her sweet heart and her little babies; may they be at peace.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so sad
Losing one is heartbreaking enough, but to lose her babies as well

Have a wonderful time at the bridge with your babies Maya. Theres plenty of other kitties there to help you with them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone here is so kind. Thank you so much. You all gave me support when I needed it and it brightens my day to see how many of you are still there to help me and to say a final word for Maya.

Maya deserved a better life. She was too kind and caring to be left in the streets and then at the shelter. I wish I would've known her before. She will always be in my heart and I'll always remember my first foster cat, my pregnant lady, my sweet princess,

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am crying for the loss of Maya, who just couldn't stay here any longer.

You gave your beautiful princess love that she did not have before.

Along with your precious kittens, rest in peace darling Maya.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
RIP Maya and Kittens

Do not blame yourself because you tried and did the best you could, she crossed over the bridge knowing she was loved and cared for. Which is so important ! !

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Marilou
you did everything you could. You gave Maya love for those 10 days you had her and nothing can take that away. RIP Maya

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Rest in Peace Sweet Maya & Her Precious Kittens

May you prance around happily with your little munchkins over the rainbow bridge

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about this sad ending to Maya's story. She was a beautiful girl, and I was so looking forward to watching her and her babies grow in the warmth of your TLC. She knew that she was loved, even for that short time, and bless you for caring for her.