Maxx's Dental

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maxx went in for his dental and I didn't think about the IV.
So they shaved part of one of his front legs.
I'm hoping it grows out well before the April show I wanted to enter him in. I'm really upset with myself for not thinking about that. If I had, I could have put off the teeth cleaning until after the show. Or asked them to shave a bare minium.

I also just checked the tracking on my Metro dryer and it should be here tomorrow! Of course, I have to get Maxx used to it and I'm hoping he isn't too scared of it. He is fine with my regular blow dryer but from what I understand, the Metro is a lot more powerful!

Lately, Maxx's bib (his white chest fur) is getting discolored from putting his whole face in the water bowl. It's driving me crazy! I may have to try using a water bottle for him. Anyone use a water bottle?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it in the inside? and how much shaved? Spring is coming and hopefully the coat will be there.

I've never used a water bottle. I'd try and set up something at home and see if he will use it or not. Do you have a cage or something to test it out. We take water with us, but Charlie doesn't usually drink at the shows - he waits till we are home or in the hotel room.

You might also have Maxx start wearing a bib or elevate the water bowls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Was it in the inside? and how much shaved? Spring is coming and hopefully the coat will be there.

I've never used a water bottle. I'd try and set up something at home and see if he will use it or not. Do you have a cage or something to test it out. We take water with us, but Charlie doesn't usually drink at the shows - he waits till we are home or in the hotel room.

You might also have Maxx start wearing a bib or elevate the water bowls.
It's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches on the leg and is shaved all the way around the leg.
He has so much thick fur on the rest of his leg though, you can hardly notice it until you get real close and grab his leg. So I'm hoping maybe it will grow enough the next 3 months that it won't even be noticeable. Dang! Why didn't I think of that!?!
I'm so mad at myself. I'll try to get a picture of it.

The bib is a good idea. I may try that along with raising his water bowl.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I was the only one with the problem. Unfortunately, mine is bigger. Luna's in in three weeks.
There was a waiting list when I made the appointment. But it gets worse. Apparently, they must have had a newbie do luna's IV shave because they shaved her in four spots this year! And they shaved quite a chunk off the inside of her back thighs (spots three and four) Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Unfortunately, I am limited in how far I could travel for shows and if I miss this one, Luna will probably not get a regional award. I just wanted to her to at least be number 20 so I can get a ribbon this year.

Edit: She is a HHP and they tend to be more lenient on them or else I'd be crying off screen as well. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know if any of the judges question it, just tell them it was iv when dental work was done recently - the judges may be more lienent with things - pedigree or not. Its not like the coat will not grow in or the cat was permantly missing fur.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a product over here called Coatex made by a UK company called Vet Plus from the UK. Works wonders. 3 months isn't enough for full coat growth but it may help. Only available from the vet.

As for the staining, a bib AND the raised water bowl will help. The water bottle is fantastic if you can teach him how to use it. There are also grooming tricks to get rid of the discoloration. PM me if you want to know how but I'm sure you already know what to do about that!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

I thought I was the only one with the problem. Unfortunately, mine is bigger. Luna's in in three weeks.
There was a waiting list when I made the appointment. But it gets worse. Apparently, they must have had a newbie do luna's IV shave because they shaved her in four spots this year! And they shaved quite a chunk off the inside of her back thighs (spots three and four) Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Unfortunately, I am limited in how far I could travel for shows and if I miss this one, Luna will probably not get a regional award. I just wanted to her to at least be number 20 so I can get a ribbon this year.

Edit: She is a HHP and they tend to be more lenient on them or else I'd be crying off screen as well. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Oh my, I'm sorry. It sounds like Luna's shave job was much worse!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You know if any of the judges question it, just tell them it was iv when dental work was done recently - the judges may be more lienent with things - pedigree or not. Its not like the coat will not grow in or the cat was permantly missing fur.
Now that I look at it more, I think maybe it will grow out enough by April. I hope. And the fur above it is long and thick enough that it almost covers it now. Here's a picture. It is a little bit blurry since I had a hard time getting Maxx to hold still! I think I'm just a bit freaked because this is going to be my first experience showing and I want everything to be as perfect as possible.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

There's a product over here called Coatex made by a UK company called Vet Plus from the UK. Works wonders. 3 months isn't enough for full coat growth but it may help. Only available from the vet.

As for the staining, a bib AND the raised water bowl will help. The water bottle is fantastic if you can teach him how to use it. There are also grooming tricks to get rid of the discoloration. PM me if you want to know how but I'm sure you already know what to do about that!
So does the Coatex help with hair growth?

I think I can get the stain out. I have a brightening shampoo and also sometimes use a mixture of boric acid and vinegar. I have some Eye Envy too. If I have trouble I'll PM you though. I'm definitely going to try a bib and raising the water bowl to try to prevent the staining. I wonder if giving purified water would help too.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Oh my, I'm sorry. It sounds like Luna's shave job was much worse!

Now that I look at it more, I think maybe it will grow out enough by April. I hope. And the fur above it is long and thick enough that it almost covers it now. Here's a picture. It is a little bit blurry since I had a hard time getting Maxx to hold still! I think I'm just a bit freaked because this is going to be my first experience showing and I want everything to be as perfect as possible.
Do you know what's sadder about my cat? (I forgot to add this in my first reply)

She's a BLACK cat.

Poor kitty (mine) looks incredibly silly. Your cat will probably be fine.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

So does the Coatex help with hair growth?

I think I can get the stain out. I have a brightening shampoo and also sometimes use a mixture of boric acid and vinegar. I have some Eye Envy too. If I have trouble I'll PM you though. I'm definitely going to try a bib and raising the water bowl to try to prevent the staining. I wonder if giving purified water would help too.
Coatex will definitely help with the hair growth. I've used it before and will probably use it again!

According to the picture IMO you will get some growth back for sure by show day. If the judges ask, just tell the truth. Technically a Persian's coat is only worth 10 points per breed standard. So, you should be in the clear.

Do PM me if there's help needed

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/standards/persian.html