Is this food Poisoning or Stomach Flu

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Husband got very Sick on Friday. He went Diarrea 21 times and Threw Up 7 times. we ate at a Chinese Place and a Russian Place the day before. These are places we always go too. He said he tasted rotten egg and was burping rotten egg. It only lasted one day. He also got dizzy from getting sick so much and was going to see a Dr if it wasnt better yesterday ut its ok.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing, if it showed up within 12 to 24 hours after eating at one of the restaurants, it was probably food poisoning. Food poisoning usually resolves fairly quickly...within 24 hours. Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and diarrhea are the most common symptoms. Viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu) usually lasts 1 to 3 days. It has the same symptoms, but can also include mild fever, chills and muscle aches. I had food poisoning from a Chinese restaurant once (mine came on within about 6 hours after eating there...my husband was sick too!) I could never bring myself to go back after that.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way I hope he feels better soon!

My experience wth food poisoning is that you will feel better in 24 hours...depending on how much of the bacteria is in your body, that's how long you'll continue to throw up.

also...just be prepared to not eat chinese for a long, long time. My food poisoning came from a bad can of soup. It took me 12 years before I could eat ANY form of soup. I still won't eat the Broccoli Cheddar...that's what I was sick on.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately food poisoning. I've had flu once, and i spent most of it in bed, feeling weak and hot and sore.

I've had poisoning twice. First time didn't have to run to the toilet, but threw up. Second time, threw up a few times, and used the toilet about 15-20 times. It was horrendous, and it took about a week before any food became solid again
. I was vomiting only on the first day, but had the runs for quite a few days. Dizzyness is normal, your body had evacuated all food and fluids from your body and you have nothing to sustain you. He needs to drink lots and lots of water. No food for at least a couple of days. Try a drink from the chemist which is for dehydration, you take a small cup every half hour to replace electrolytes.

I hope he gets better soon

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

also...just be prepared to not eat chinese for a long, long time. My food poisoning came from a bad can of soup. It took me 12 years before I could eat ANY form of soup. I still won't eat the Broccoli Cheddar...that's what I was sick on.
I know what you mean. I recently got food poisoning from my favorite Subway sandwich, the Italian BMT. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat one of those again....or go to Subway. I have never
so much in all my life!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

I know what you mean. I recently got food poisoning from my favorite Subway sandwich, the Italian BMT. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat one of those again....or go to Subway. I have never
so much in all my life!
Doesn't it stink how it just happens to be your favorite!
I LOVED Broccoli Cheddar...now I just have no more desire to even try it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked that site. It seems like Food Poisoning. I had Food Poisoning 2 times before. Once from Jack in the Box Tacos and once from Kfc. My Husband had it from Kfc when I did and we were in Lake Havisu on Vacation when it happened. That my Fav Subway Sand too and I love Broc Cheese Soup. my Husband hardly ate any of teh Rusian Food. I ate it. He got his Fav Sweet and Sour Pork now he isnt sure if he ever wants to get it there again. I did eat a few pieces of the Pork. I didnt eat those Tacos for a long time after I got sick but have since. I try not to eat fast food.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as a "stomach flu".

Chances are he picked up a virus IE: Norwalk virus which isn't a "flu", or he ate something that was bad or had been cross contaminated with raw/under cooked ground beef, or raw chicken... or even bad eggs.

If you ate the same thing he did and didn't get sick, chances are he picked up a virus. It is the time of year for the Norwalk Virus. I had it once and I wished I were dead! It was the first time in decades that I had thrown up.

Make sure he stays hydrated with fluids, even if he throws them up again in time. Diarrhea and vomiting can lead to severe dehydration.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

There is no such thing as a "stomach flu".
Exactly. This is what I always tell everyone.

mews2much, If your husband doesn't like drinks like Gatorade there are some vitamin enhanced waters and vitamin powders that can be added to water.
It certainly sounds like he'll need it. Also if his stomach is a bit tender still, the old standby chicken soup would be good idea. Sodium is another thing he needs to replace. (and any of the cans of soup or dry soup mixes are loaded with it)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my husband had food poisioning from a buffet, it came on 4 or 5 hours after he ate there.

I just had a stomach virus a couple months ago and it was the most miserable I've been in ages. I didn't know if it was food poisioning or virus, but since there were a lot of people getting the virus at the time I figured that's what it was.

I sure hope your hubby feels better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I did tasted his Pork but it was only 3 Pieces. I did not have the Soup or rice oe Wontons he had.