Any Other Persian owners?

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since im a fairly new Persian owner (just got him yesterday) I was wondering if anyone else on here owns the breed? Being a cat lover I have read up on a bunch of different breeds and I have read the most on the Persian. Even though I wasen't planning on getting a Persian I am more than thrilled to have Quincey in my home. But I love to hear peoples personal stories and opinions on the breed.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had Persians for 17 years. Duchess was our first and now we have Tedi (15 yo), Luna (10 yo) and Maya (4 yo). My mom picked out Duchess because she was laid back and very calm. She was very smart. Persians over all are very loyal, friendly, and only active when they want to be.

Of course just because you have a Persian does not mean they will be as described above. They all have their unique personalities. Make sure you groom them a couple times a week otherwise they will develop matts.

Do you have a picture of your Persian?

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simon is my only Persian.
I like to think his purrsonality is classic Persian. He is easy going, quirky, quiet, loves his food and mellow all rolled up into this little black ball of fluff.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyCatsWSQ

Since im a fairly new Persian owner (just got him yesterday) I was wondering if anyone else on here owns the breed? Being a cat lover I have read up on a bunch of different breeds and I have read the most on the Persian. Even though I wasen't planning on getting a Persian I am more than thrilled to have Quincey in my home. But I love to hear peoples personal stories and opinions on the breed.
Many of us on this site have Persians. Click on the left picture above to see mine. Yes, Persi is a Persian. The term Himalayan refers to a color of a Persian, not a different breed. Persi is quite layed back now at age 1 1/2. But he cannot stand to see anything on a table or a counter. He must knock it off and play with it on the floor. I comb him every day without exception. As you can see, he has a lot of hair but he has never had a hairball and there is no hair on anything in the house. I attribute this to my most vigorous combing every day. I got him at age of 7 weeks (too young) and started combing him right away so he would get used to it. Now when I call him to be combed he jumps up on the washer and I really comb him hard but he does not mind and has never got mad at me. So, they are high maintenance cats but I find the combing time a great bonding time for both of us. Persi also like to beg for food and will steal the food off your plate if you get up from the table.
I love Persi, he was a great choice for me but some people do not like the grooming involved. Good luck, I know you will love your new Persian!

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Many of us on this site have Persians. Click on the left picture above to see mine. Yes, Persi is a Persian. The term Himalayan refers to a color of a Persian, not a different breed.
then I have a persian too
...I learned something today

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Persian named Princess who is 18 months old. I cannot stress enough how important it is to brush them everyday, I've only had Princess since November and in the beginning I assumed that brushing every 2 or 3 days would be enough - boy was I wrong! Even with good brushing every couple days she was still getting matted in her armpits and on the backs of her legs. Getting those mats out takes a lot of time and I ended up COVERED in thick white hair in the process. So now she gets a very good coming every day and a bath every couple of weeks. As unbelievable as it sounds I don't find her fur on anything around the house.
I'm a Siamese person and I would have never considered having a Persian (the two breeds have entirely different personalities and I am not generally a fan of longhaired cats) but after having Princess for a couple months I see what all the Persian fuss is about! They are just wonderful! Princess has the typical Persian personality, and she is a complete cuddle bug and very playful in a calm sort of way.
Would love to see pictures of your new baby.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I show cats, and don't own a Persian, but admire those that do cause they have the patience to do all that daily grooming! I prefer shorthairs. We have an Ocicat and a mixed breed HHP.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the one
He's a red tabby and is now 3.5 years old. Daily combing and monthly bathing at the very minimum. I'll have to take new pictures of him soon enough.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had quite a few Persians over a period of time and currently have two. Although I love all cats, I have a special love for the Persian breed.There are a lot of us on this site!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one Persian. Flame he is now almost 15 years old. He has been the sweetest laid back cat I have ever owned.I agree with others daily brushing is a must.We started giving him a bath right of so he would be used to baths. This breed IMO needs baths to keep their fur in good condition . One word of warning a Persian with Diarrhea isn't fun! Once in awhile he has had loose stools and what a mess! I'm a Siamese type person I have 4 now. My Persian is my cuddle bug they are such affectionate people cats..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for then info everyone. I have no problem grooming Quincy everyday since I do about the same with my Cockers. My uncle never really brushed him so he came with quite a few mats. But I have worked almost all of them out. He doesent have his full coat (due to hair cut) but it is long. I have no problem bathing him either as I do the same with my other two every so often.

So far I am in love. He is so sweet and quiet I just love his mellow personality. He is still getting used to Wicked and Smidgeon and they him but there is progress. He seems to be getting comfortable. I also LOVE his meow its so deep and cute. I feel bad for him though because he is declawed and he tries to "sharpen his claws" and his paws just slip and slide. I wish he wasen't declawed. But my uncle wanted to protect his furniture
. Which is why he gave him up because he sheds and he also didn't want him making a mess in his new home. He's not a pet person.

But Quincy has a forever home with me

OH! And pics coming as soon as I take them all and get a disk.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shambles

As unbelievable as it sounds I don't find her fur on anything around the house.
Yes, it is true. You cannot find any fur on anything in my house either. I use a comb, not a brush, and I get every bit of fur off of Persi when I comb him every day. It is unbelievable to most people that there is no fur anywhere and that he has never had a furball because he is licking himself all the time.

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I actually use a comb on Princess also.

I am so sorry to hear that Quincy has been declawed. My Princess was a rescue also and the horrible man that had her first declawed her and the other 2 cats in the home. I feel so awful that she can't scratch and stretch her little toes, and she slips off things all the time because she can't hold on. She is still a young kitty who loves nothing more than to play with my Siamese kitten and atempt any mad feat she sees her pull off - but she can't. She slips off tables and she can't climb. Poor sweet girl, breaks my heart.
It really makes me annoyed and angry to hear about all of these snooty people who get incredibly furry Persians, then shave them because they can't deal with fur on their furniture (as we have seen just basic grooming resolves that issue), declaw them, and then still rehome them in the end. Don't these people understand that no matter what you do to the poor thing you are still going to have a C-A-T, and if you can't deal with claws and fur then do not get one in the beginning. I've seen so many beautiful Persians on Craigslist, and every single one of them has been declawed.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Quincy has a much better home with you

My older cat, Matilda, is part Persian. She is technically a Domestic Long Hair but you can really see Persian in her face. Her previous owner declawed her also.
It's sad watching her play with toys because she can't really grab them with her paws. She was really young when I adopted her too, not even a year old. She's much better off with me, lol.
Anyway, I have a picture of her if you click on the picture of the white cat by my user name.

I don't find her hair all over either, isn't that funny? I try to brush her every day, but lately it's been more like every other day because she gets enough unwanted attention with me taking care of her chin acne (another issue entirely). She has had 1 hairball in the 4 months that she's been home.

I can't wait to see pictures!

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1 persian . . . 2 persians . . . 3 persians . . . 4 persians . . . 5 persians

I give up!! I have more then you can count on both hands.

Valerie