Feel like I am getting nowhere...

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugghh, bare with me, please!!

I have a friend, we will call her Nancy.

Nancy loves cats....and takes very good care of her cats, but Nancy thinks every cat she gets has to be......DECLAWED!!!

She is currently looking for a cat right now(dont know how serious she is) but anyways, she found a cat shelter that has in their contract that the new owner CANNOT declaw the cat!! And she said "well, I wont adopt from them!"

I have told her over and over if she would read up and watch a video about it, she wouldnt do it again!!

OK~rant over!?!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about invite her over and say I have something to show her and show it to her??

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you just have to be blunt as well....How does she feel about her fingernails? Would she be upset if she woke up one day and they were gone, sore fingers, nubby........No one asked her if she wanted this done?

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea, just force her to watch the video or clips at your house. She will then understand.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have internet access (dumb question, I know!
). If she does, maybe you could send her the link that's in the Health forum that pertains to de-clawing. Maybe if she reads that, she'll change her mind.
When I read it, I got sick to my stomach - and I didn't believe in de-clawing before reading it!

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she must have a declawed cat, why not talk her into adopting one that has already had that done? That way no cat is harmed by her poor choice and she gives a home to a cat that needs one.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If she must have a declawed cat, why not talk her into adopting one that has already had that done? That way no cat is harmed by her poor choice and she gives a home to a cat that needs one.
This is a great idea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is what shes looking at now.....

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd still find time to show her the video and then say you'll leave her alone after it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

That is what shes looking at now.....
Great to hear

She's probably like most people and think that its merely a way to cut the animals nails "so short" that they don't regrow (or at least thats how I perceived it until I was educated
). She probably has no idea exactly what happens during declawing.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had the same idea.

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im sorry about your friend. I have family members who are still in that mind set that cats need to be declawed. Infact my Persian Quincey is declawed because my uncle wanted to do so. Wicked and Smidgeon still have all their claws and I just clip them every couple weeks.

Sometimes certain people are like talking to a brick wall though

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think I would declaw a cat I had before I joined TCS. After I joined however..it became very clear to me that I would never do that.

Whynot invite her to join TCS so she can get educated on it?