First shot reaction

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hate it that cats get groggy after the vaccinations. My kitten Simone had her first vaccination today. She just gave her the combo that covers for FIP and I forget what else. Simone is too little for the Rabies vaccine and the vet isn't enthused about the Feline Leukemia shot if a cat is strictly indoors.

Simone is very sleepy. She did eat a bit of wet and a bit of dry this afternoon, but she's mostly sleeping. She'll wake up and sit up every once in a while but is quite groggy.

I don't sense that she's in distress, but groggy post vaccination always worries me.

I figure it's a good sign that she nibbled on food earlier. She clearly is not interested right now though.

She weighs 2.6 lbs and is a little over 8 weeks.

My knees and toes are greatful for the respite, but I rather she were bouncy and terrorizing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a local ER vet ?? I would call ... likely it is just a basic reaction and shell be better tomarrow but

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Do you have a local ER vet ?? I would call ... likely it is just a basic reaction and shell be better tomarrow but
The same vet does their own after hours care.

Her reaction isn't different than it has been with other cats. Right now she's sitting up, and considering an attack on one of the other cats. She's reconsidered, hopped off the footstool and is bathing herself now. She's up and about...just not herself.

My cats are always very sleepy after their shots. The small ones are always the hardest hit. My Charlie cat gets much more lethargic. I just can't stand it though.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, my vet wont even do the FIP vaccine!! They say its too dangerous or something like that!! Will you please keep me updated on how your kitty does later on down the road?? Im very curious!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Vet said the Fip shot isnt safe and no more leukemia shots either. They also said why risk Rabies Shots if they are indoors. My friends Cat got cancer from a Shot.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vaccinations do have their risks and with an adverse reaction to shots, some kitties go into renal failure, but I think that's with the FeLV...I might be wrong.

The FIP is for the version of feline distemper and if a cat gets that...they are a goner. Feline distemper can live for a long time without a host cat and should you move and into a house that had a sick cat...and your kitty wasn't vaccinated it wouldn't be good.

My other cats have been vaccinated for both. I did the FeLV because I worried vaguely that they might get out and into a fight with another cat. I don't worry about that now, but I did for several years.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauraG

Vaccinations do have their risks and with an adverse reaction to shots, some kitties go into renal failure, but I think that's with the FeLV...I might be wrong.

The FIP is for the version of feline distemper and if a cat gets that...they are a goner. Feline distemper can live for a long time without a host cat and should you move and into a house that had a sick cat...and your kitty wasn't vaccinated it wouldn't be good.

My other cats have been vaccinated for both. I did the FeLV because I worried vaguely that they might get out and into a fight with another cat. I don't worry about that now, but I did for several years.
Are you sure you don't mean FIE? - Feline Infectious Enteritis is another name for Feline Distemper (the virus is called Feline Parvovirus) and that vaccination is effective and fairly safe. The FIP vaccine is given in a squirt up the nose and is quite risky to give.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's more perky today. Played a while, dragged a toy down stairs, ate breakfast and now she's snoozing. She's still not 100% velociraptor but shows promising gnawing signs.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea I was going to say, the FIP vaccine is squirt up the nose, not a shot with a needle...

Might want to read this about the dangers of the FIP vaccine.
http://www.traditionalcats.com/Educa...ouseFIPVac.htm

Also found this:
"...There is no actual vaccine that will prevent FIP. There is a so-called FIP vaccine, which is, in fact, a vaccine that has been developed to prevent corona virus. Since there are at least a dozen different corona viruses, the vaccine is only effective against a couple of them. Please do not allow your vet to administer the FIP vaccine. Since most kittens are exposed to the common corona viruses before they are 8 weeks old, it is too late and a waste of money to vaccinate against corona viruses. There is a lot of research being conducted on FIP and the corona viruses and there may eventually be a vaccine that can be administered to very young kittens that will give them protection, but that hasn't happened yet.
One of the most consistent findings about FIP is that it develops (mutates from the corona virus) in a cat or kitten with an impaired immune system.
Giving an inadequate vaccination simply challenges an immune system without developing any useful antibodies to resist further infections."

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Yea I was going to say, the FIP vaccine is squirt up the nose, not a shot with a needle...

Might want to read this about the dangers of the FIP vaccine.
http://www.traditionalcats.com/Educa...ouseFIPVac.htm

Also found this:
"...There is no actual vaccine that will prevent FIP. There is a so-called FIP vaccine, which is, in fact, a vaccine that has been developed to prevent corona virus. Since there are at least a dozen different corona viruses, the vaccine is only effective against a couple of them. Please do not allow your vet to administer the FIP vaccine. Since most kittens are exposed to the common corona viruses before they are 8 weeks old, it is too late and a waste of money to vaccinate against corona viruses. There is a lot of research being conducted on FIP and the corona viruses and there may eventually be a vaccine that can be administered to very young kittens that will give them protection, but that hasn't happened yet.
One of the most consistent findings about FIP is that it develops (mutates from the corona virus) in a cat or kitten with an impaired immune system.
Giving an inadequate vaccination simply challenges an immune system without developing any useful antibodies to resist further infections."
Yeah, well. I also said distemper. I got the stupid initials wrong. Oh well.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago Blossom spent the night in hospital 24 hrs after having her 1st annual vaccination. She had a high temp & was not herself. We don't have rabies in Australia, but she is not to have the leukemia vac. again. That was the problem. I spent the night on the net reading all about vac reactions. The vet had given her the shot in the thigh. When I took her back the next day, a different vet said she should have had it in the back of the neck. The research I'd done that night said to always vac in a different spot & never in the neck. She's ok now, but the anti-inflamitary they gave her reduced the effectiveness of the original shot.