HELP!!!!! One cat spraying and the other peeing

ethiope

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm going to try to make this as short as possible, but it's going to be difficult. And thank everyone in advance for their advice.

I have two cats: Pumpkin, a neutered male who's about 8 years old, and Aspen, a spayed female who's about 3 years old. I've had Pumpkin for 7 years and Aspen since June 2007. I got Aspen right after my 19 year old kitty, Bud, died.

I can't say Aspen and Pumpkin love each other, and they get in the occasional fight, including each of them having a tiny piece of ear missing now. About 3-4 months ago, these stray cats showed up in our neighborhood. One has found a home next door although the lady's husband won't let her bring him in (they already have on indoor cat) so the new one lives in the garage and roams as he please. Another one found a home across the cul de sac, but I don't really see him that much. There's a third one that's just around although it looks like someone's feeding him because he's not skinny, and then there's a fourth that my neighbor says exists but I've never seen him at all.

Well, over the last month or so, Pumpkin has started spraying all over my house. I've had to wash a particular set of curtains 3 times so far because he sprayed them. He's sprayed my refrigerator, my ottoman, my file cabinet, my Christmas tree. Just anything and everything. He does it right in front of me multiple times a day, and he doesn't seem like he's mad when he does it. My explanation is that he's feeling stressed by the new cats that are around (I also think he may have gotten in a couple of altercations with them too, both of mine go outside anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours a day but only when I'm home and during daylight hours). He has a high-strung disposition to start with.

Aspen, on the other hand, is very confident and doesn't seem to have a timid, high-strung bone in her body. She's quit bossy and pushy, but really cute and LOVES people. Over the last month or so she's started peeing where she's not supposed to. As I was beginning to write this, I heard her scratching and went to see what she was doing and she had peed in the bathtub (actually not such a bad thing if that's the only wrong place she did it). She's peed in the corner of my foyer, on the floor in my bathroom, and around the dining room window. She doesn't pee as much as Pumpkin sprays, but any is too much. Thank goodness I have hardwood floors instead of carpet.

I used to have a female cat, Velvet, who peed in inappropriate places, but she did it in the same place each time and it was pretty obvious that she did it because she was mad. With Aspen, she doesn't seem mad at all and see does it in totall different places each time.

I have two litter boxes, one in the basement and one upstairs in the bathroom. I thought about another one on the main level, but I really don't have a good place to put one.

I plan to get a few Feliway plug-ins and I've been cleaning the walls and floors and everything else whereever I find they've sprayed/peed (my vet let me borrow her black light so I could see where this was occurring).

They've both gone to the vet because I was praying that the behavior was because of UTIs since that would be an easy fix, but they're both fine. She's recommending that I put one or both of them on Prozac, but I don't want to do that unless I really have to.

What else can I do? Pumpkin has sprayed occasionally in the past, but this is getting out of hand. I'm not sure if they're doing this because of each other or because of the cats outside or both. I would never get rid of Pumpkin, and although I considered giving Aspen back when they were fighting some in the beginning, I don't think I could do that now because I've fallen in love with her. And, they even play together occasionally, so they don't totally hate each other all the time.

Please help!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had to break a cat of spraying, so I do not have personal experience. However, with strays wandering around outside, it's going to be difficult.

Here is a section from the "Inappropriate Peeing" thread stickied at the top of the forum. You've already had them to the vet, but here it is:

Originally Posted by Inappropriate Peeing Thread

First, we need to know for sure that the problem is spraying rather than urinating. If the cat is standing and the pee shoots straight back so that he/she is aiming high on the wall or side of the couch, it is spraying. If the cat squats while peeing, it is normal urination.

If the cat is peeing (not spraying) inappropriately, you need to get him or her to the vet ASAP. The #1 cause of inappropriate urination is urinary tract infections or blockages. Given the stress your female is under, that may be what is going on. You can also read some of the other posts on this forum for other great ideas for stopping inappropriate urination.

If the cat is spraying...he is marking his territory. Basically, he's saying this is my place, not yours! This can be a difficult habit to break but it is absolutely possible to do so.

Try the following ideas and also do a search for spraying on this forum for excellent ideas on other threads.

1. Use Feliway to help him not want to spray. Feliway mimics the friendly marking that cats do when they rub their faces on things. When a cat smells a friendly scent, they are unlikely to mark with urine. The Feliway box will give detailed instructions on how to use it....follow the instructions carefully.

2. Hang aluminum foil on the places the cat likes to spray. Cats usually will not spray on foil because it makes an unpleasant sound when hit with the urine and it makes the urine splash back on the cat. Each day that the cat does not spray a strip of foil, tear about an inch off the bottom of the foil until the foil is completely gone. Don't remove the whole strip all at once because the cat may interpret this as you saying it is okay to spray here again.

3. If you see the cat getting into the spray position, yell "No!" and then grab him and put him in time-out (in the bathroom for example) for only 2-3 minutes. Do the same if you caught him in the act.

4. Check to see if there are stray cats hanging out outside your house. A cat will often spray in response to strange cats around the house. Make sure you don't walk through outside cat spray and track that smell into the house.

5. Be patient and persistent. Breaking the spraying habit han take a while, but it should work.
For the cleaning, you didn't mention if you were using an enzyme cleaner? Anything else will not work to the cats' sensitive noses. We use http://www.nokout.com, but apparently http://www.catfaeries.com the product Anti-Icky Poo is great too.

You may want to consider Flower Essences in addition to Feliway. Check them out at the catfaeries site.

Also, for your female's benefit, I would purchase Cat Attract Litter to put in the boxes. This has been helping a lot of cats.

Laurie

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cat had cystitis he would pee in the sink and other places in the apartment. You need to take your cat to the vet, she might be sick.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First you want to bring the cats to the vet. You have to rule out health issues.
Secondly you want to add more litter boxes. Maybe they are picky about them.
I know you said you didn't know where to put them but it might be a simple solution for the peeing. We have one in the middle of our bedroom floor. It's unattractive but it is helping.

Also get the enzymatic cleaner and the feliway. You can try putting foil on the vertical surfaces. Many don't like the sound when they spray on it.

I wish you luck.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI:

Originally Posted by Ethiope

They've both gone to the vet because I was praying that the behavior was because of UTIs since that would be an easy fix, but they're both fine. She's recommending that I put one or both of them on Prozac, but I don't want to do that unless I really have to.
Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ethiope

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie...they have both already gone to the vet and checked out fine as far as UTIs/crystals. I've decided that one thing I'm going to do is ask my neighbor if she could get the one she's got neutered SOON because as he gets older his urine's going to start smelling more tomcattish and will probably engender even a worse response.

I'm going to go on Amazon right now and order the Feliway diffusers.

I've never heard about this Cat Attract Litter. Where do you get it from and what makes it different from other litters?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ethiope

I've never heard about this Cat Attract Litter. Where do you get it from and what makes it different from other litters?
I've found it at Petsmart and Petco. It has something added to it that attracts cats to the litter box. We had a problem with Carly when we first got her. All of the cats seems utterly in love with their boxes when we used it. They would hang around it a lot.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

FYI:

Laurie
I am always confused as of how a vet would say the cat is fine since with cystitis there are no obvious reasons except the symptoms.
Like my cat had. First vet told me they found no crystals, and cat had no UTI.
Yet he still had urinary problems-he had blood in the urine and peed everywhere, including in the sink and on the bed. They called it cystitis.
Once I switched him onto Urinary SO food his symptoms went away, and he stopped peeing everywhere.