Went to the vet today...

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I discovered yesterday that Pepper has tapeworms, so we went to the vet today. We see the vet that is attached to the Petsmart here. We got there, and the place was PACKED with dogs. I was holding Pepper in my arms, just like I always do anytime we go anywhere. She was absolutely intrigued by the dogs! She was just looking around calmly taking it all in. Anytime a dog got near her, she leaned out to sniff them. I think she made some new friends! It was so cute!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No matter how calm my kitty is, I would never take any of them in my arms! You never know what could freak the kitty out (a dog getting over excited and lunging for the cat), just as someone is opening the door to the vet surgery.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

No matter how calm my kitty is, I would never take any of them in my arms!
I have to agree, it's just not worth the risk.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not take Coco in the carrier she gets very upset then her Asthma gets real bad. That is why I do not take her in it. My otehr Cats go in the Carrier.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

No matter how calm my kitty is, I would never take any of them in my arms! You never know what could freak the kitty out (a dog getting over excited and lunging for the cat), just as someone is opening the door to the vet surgery.
Oh, I do that all the time--I just have them on harness & leash, just in case.
They hate their carrier and being in it through the cab ride annoys them enough.

(Also, the vet's office has an entryway in between two doors, so if a cat wiggled out of the harness and got through a door there'd still be one more door between it and the outside.)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet I go to requires that your cat be in a carrier, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable carrying them in my arms. I know there are other vets in the area that don't require it though.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm taking Zane in tomorrow. The vet is only about 1/4 mile from the house, so I've invested in a kitty stroller.

Last time I took him, we walked along and every passer-by looked through the mesh and said "Oh, what a pretty kitty!" Zane objected all the way, but when we got to the Vet's office and there were DOGS in the waiting room, he quited down, thinking that he was safer where he was. I was able to unzip the canopy enough so that I could get my hand through and pet him.

He was as good as gold when the vet examined him, but when the doctor was finished he leapt in a parabolic arc from the examining table into his stroller. It was so funny!

mia's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when we first got Mia we didn't have a carrier or much time to get one because we found her outside and she had worms so I wanted to take her as soon as possible. There weren't any dogs but there were cats freely roaming at the vet's and Mia seemed to take an interested in the big lion looking cat that was walking around. She jumped off my lap and tried to follow it but it got away from her and then i had to catch her.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, we had two large cats, and no carrier (I don't know why my mother never bought a carrier
). While in the car, the cats used to go under the seats. It was a pain trying to drag them out of there when we got to the vet's. While at the vet's, we sometimes wrapped the cats up in a towel or something, to protect our arms, etc. from their claws (again, I don't know why my parents never bought a carrier). One time I remember one of our cats, Tiger, got loose in the parking lot and hid under the car. Boy that was fun (NOT) trying to dig him out from under the car and get him back into the car to go home. Fun times. I always use a carrier now.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used to take Coco to the vets I used one of those dirty clothes tidy's with a sit on lid & tie it down so she couldn't open it. I now have a carrier now for Blossom.