Why are people so stupid?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was on a call last night at work for 25 minutes (I work at a call center...calls should last 4 minutes tops, so there goes my call time for the week). The problem was, the guy submitted a form to withdrawal his money and when he got to the "are you married" section, he marked yes and no.

It went like this:

"I'm sorry Sir, your form couldn't be processed because you marked both yes and no for maritial status"

"So?"

"Well, Sir, are you married?"

"Yes"

"Then why did you mark no?"

"Because I don't like her"

"But, you are married?"

"Yes, but we're separated, and getting a divorce."

"Ok, but is the divorce final?"

"No. She just moved out last week."

"So, you are still legally married....."

"yes, but I still don't like her."

"I understand that Sir, but if you need to mark one box or the other...not both, because that is conflicting information and it can't be processed that way. The form needs to be resubmitted correctly."

"Well, I'm married, but I don't FEEL like I'm married."

"Sir, it is a yes or no question. You need to mark either yes or no."

"But, I don't like her....."

We went round and round for 25 minutes about this!! I heard the whole story about how she did him wrong, cheated on him, etc...He still didn't get the idea that he has to check either "YES" or "NO"!!! How hard is that??

Just wanted to vent...

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol - before I read that they were separated, I thought you were going to say it was an older couple who had been married forever... Kind of like on Everybody Loves Raymond

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have said:-

If you want the money now, stay married to her till you get the money.

If you want the money later, get a divorce first before getting the money.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People believe that ignorance is an excuse for their stupidity, I completely disagree. I have to deal with too many people like this on a daily basis (then everyone wonders why I tend to be so introverted!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

lol - before I read that they were separated, I thought you were going to say it was an older couple who had been married forever... Kind of like on Everybody Loves Raymond
LOL, YES, I could see Frank doing that! The sad thing is, we also have a lot of older people who mark "yes" they are married, but are widowed (the spouse's signature is required on the form) then they check that they can't get their spouse's signature because they have passed away. It is so hard to explain to them that legally they are not married, even if they are still married in their heart. People that that I feel so bad for. This guy was just an idiot!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

LOL, YES, I could see Frank doing that! The sad thing is, we also have a lot of older people who mark "yes" they are married, but are widowed (the spouse's signature is required on the form) then they check that they can't get their spouse's signature because they have passed away. It is so hard to explain to them that legally they are not married, even if they are still married in their heart. People that that I feel so bad for. This guy was just an idiot!
My grandmother was that way. She checked everything as married even though my grandfather had passed away years before. She would tell you I am still married!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I seriously thought that was one of those email jokes...but it's real!

That's hilarious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Okay, I seriously thought that was one of those email jokes...but it's real!

That's hilarious!
It's absolutely real! The call was recorded if you want proof!! I honestly think I should get a raise for patience or something for dealing with that!

And people wonder why I drink.....

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

It's absolutely real! The call was recorded if you want proof!! I honestly think I should get a raise for patience or something for dealing with that!

And people wonder why I drink.....
They should wonder why you don't drink more!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it makes me crazy when you are explaining something simple to people - yes or no --and they refuse to recognize the clear-cut answer b/c they are so wrapped up in their own crap! They cannot see beyond their own stupidity and argue in circles when the answer is straightforward.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's NOT funny, but it IS!

I sometimes think some people "act" stupid, just to be a jerk!

~KK~