What's your best cold/flu remedy?

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got a whopper of a cold (possibly flu?) and I've tried everything to feel better. All those over-the-counter cold/flu meds... I've tried them all. Surprisingly, I found that Extra Strength Tylenol actually works the best at making me feel better! Also, I just tried those new tissues with the scent of Vicks... awesome!

What works best for you when you have a cold/flu? Let's hear those remedies!

Achoooooooo!!!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a neti pot?? If you have a health store closeby them should have them.
Otherwise take a long soak in a hot bathtub using the steam to help your sinus.
For OTC stuff-I sweart by Alka Seltzer Cold and Flu. Watch OTC if you have high BP though.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, since they took phenylpropanolamine off the market several years ago, I haven't found any OTC cold medicine that works very well. I think Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is laughable for cold medicine...a huge waste of money. I usually buy some Afrin nasal spray and a huge stock of tissues, and hope for the best. I think I went through about 5 or 6 big boxes of Kleenex with the cold that I'm just getting over. It's hard to believe that one nose could possibly produce that much snot, lol!!!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Personally, since they took phenylpropanolamine off the market several years ago, I haven't found any OTC cold medicine that works very well. I think Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is laughable for cold medicine...a huge waste of money. I usually buy some Afrin nasal spray and a huge stock of tissues, and hope for the best. I think I went through about 5 or 6 big boxes of Kleenex with the cold that I'm just getting over. It's hard to believe that one nose could possibly produce that much snot, lol!!!
Afrin is pretty good, but you also need a all over med ( fever, headache, cough, etc). phenylpropanolamine is STILL on the market, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. I say your best bet is to call a local pharmacy, and ask them. Hope you feel better soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That Afrin nasal spray does work wonders, but I only use it if I'm absolutely desperate because I become dependent on it and my nose stuffs up without it. I guess time is the only healer.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

Afrin is pretty good, but you also need a all over med ( fever, headache, cough, etc). phenylpropanolamine is STILL on the market, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. I say your best bet is to call a local pharmacy, and ask them. Hope you feel better soon!!
Phenylpropanolamine was taken off the market in about 2000. It has been linked to hemorrhagic stroke (although the risk is considered very low.)
I haven't been able to find ANYTHING that contains it for years. I'll tell ya what...if you can find it, get some for me.....I'd be happy to pay you for it!
I think that you are thinking of pseudoephederine...that is kept behind the counter now, because of the risk of people using it in the illegal production of methamphetamine.

http://www.fda.gov/CDER/drug/infopage/ppa/
http://www.fda.gov/CDER/drug/infopage/ppa/advisory.htm

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I know what you mean. The amount of tissues that I go through when I get a cold is absolutely ridiculous!

As far as remedies go, I don't think I can be much help. I have yet to find anything that truly works. The OTC stuff does nothing for me. I swear my body is immune to all medicines.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually take Tylenol cold and flu with the nighttime and day time caps. That or nyquil and dayquil.

If its a regular cold I use Buckleys
It works though.

I don't get sick very often though so I am not a good person to ask

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the dayquil/nyquil pack and take those. I have heard cold fx works really good, but its more expensive. It is $55 for 150 of them here, but that is a much better deal then paying $10 for 12 tylenol cold. I also really like neo citran. It puts me to sleep, but when I wake up I usually feel much better.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail is right about steam -- it really helps a lot. You can get some very intense steam by leaning over the sink, draping a big bathtowel across your head like a tent, holding the edges down on the counter with your arms, and running the hot water for a few minutes. After that, one good noseblowing and a cup of hot tea and you'll feel like a new person!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for me, i just curl up in bed with my hot water bottle, & a nice hot drink! i take painkillers for whatever pain i have

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aleeve Cold & Sinus D for me (you have to take the ticket to the counter).

Yes I'm a little high during the time I'm taking the drug, however 1) I can breathe 2) I'm alert. Those are all my requirements while at work.

If I'm at home though, I'll drink a bunch of tea, eat soup and that's about it. I also use some form of nighttime stuff just to help me sleep and depress my coughing.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walgreens and Whole Foods carry a neti pot, if that helps (I have one)
. Just getting the plain ol' generic saline nasal spray helps too, and doing it whenever you feel like you need it (I read somewhere that dr.s are starting to recommend the saline drops for babies, since the cold remedies have gotten kaboshed for little ones).

I hope you are feeling better soon!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

Whiskey actually does work! Hot whiskey with a little honey and lemon
Yeah, I have heard those work. Take it before bed and sweat it out while you sleep.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of what makes you feel so crummy when you have a cold is dehydration. That's why it's so important to drink a lot of fluids. I find that a vitamin product called Emergen-C also helps a lot. It's a little packet that you mix with water and drink. It contains a load of electrolytes, so it helps replace what your body loses from dehydration. It won't clear your stuff nose, but it helps me with the muscle aches and headaches.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that Dimatapp Nightime is really good for me. I can't take anything with pheudoephdrine in it because it really makes me hyper and I won't sleep for hours if I take it.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Count me in on the YUCKS from HELL. All 4 of us have it at the same time...it is HORRIBLE...and it has been over a week and I am just NOW starting to lose the aches, sweats. My ears are still stuffed......and I can't taste or smell (4 days now)....just bad.

I ended up at the doc..on top of the Cipro, I was given a kick-but decongestant thing (prescription tablets)....but I am an Afrin fan..and like a PP, I get the rebound congestion which is HORRIBLE. I had it so badly one time that I ended up with some neucrosis to a kidney because of over-use of OTC meds! How bad is THAT!!

So, anyway....I am not one to react to a vaporizer, steam, saline, etc. My body just doesn't let it work so I don't find many things to work for me. HOWEVER, I will say this: my new discovery last night was the SudaCare Plug-In. I was skeptical, but thought I had nothing to lose and that my kids could benefit from it if I didn't.

THAT ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was like $8 at WalMart and you can always buy refills for it.

So for congestion...give it a whirl. I found it worked, for me, to get unstuffy FIRST before going to bed (clear with Afrin) and then the plug-in KEPT me clear through the night. I've NEVER been able to stay clear all night!!!!

Others online have sworn by Delsym...and it is for kids up through adults.